5x09 Cold Blood (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, May 29, 2010.

?

What do you think about the episode?

1. Brilliant

37.4%
  2. Good

45.2%
  3. Average

10.4%
  4. Meh

2.6%
  5. I wish we had a puke smilie

4.3%
  1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found it to be an enjoyable two-parter, but then I have a soft spot for lizard people.

A bit predictable that what's her name ended up killing the Silurian, that taser in part 1 gave that away. Likewise, though I'd read spoilers before hand, I'm sure I could have figured out from the scene with the engagement ring in part 1 that Rory would be written out.

Still, a solid enough episode. Nothing special but entertaining enough.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Rory's death really pissed me off. He was fast becoming one of my all-time favorite companions. And his relationship with Amy was one of the few things that added depth to her character. Otherwise, she's just another random hot chick with a crush on the Doctor, like Rose or Martha. But there was something really cute about Amy/Rory. You could tell that they had a close relationship that no one else could see or understand, mostly because no one else could get past the fact that she was "out of his league." But then, I suspect Rory might end up being one of the great misunderstood, underrated companions, like Harry Sullivan.

I'm hoping that Rory's death gets "Year of Hell"-reversed. Although, honestly, it won't really matter to me unless he returns as a companion as well. (Kinda like how I thought Donna's story in "Journey's End" was appropriately heartbreaking but it still pissed me off because she was a great companion that was no longer being used.)

Beyond that, I thought it was a serviceable story. It wasn't A+ brilliant, but then, nothing this season has been except for maybe "Amy's Choice" & some of the River song stuff. Much like with a lot of David Tennant's early stories, Matt Smith is propping up this series with sheer charisma. (And while Rory was around, there was another interesting regular to carry some of the weight. Now that's gone...:()

3. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the episode as well, and thought Rory's death was such a shame. His subsequent erasure from history was even worse! That scene with the Doctor trying to help Amy to keep Rory in her memory was gut-wrenching. The revelation of what the Doctor pulled from the crack was a surprise too. Can't wait to see how it all pans out.

Next week: Vincent "vanGoff"? :D

4. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well that's just the Doctor - always making things seem to appear and disappear in thin air.

The Silurian female would of made a good internet troll but God, Ambrose bugged the shit out of me.

Wondering what happened to the Silurian's 3rd eye.

5. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

I'm wondering what happened to the Silurians full stop.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

BTW the bit where the Doctor says human germs are half of what's keeping him alive... was that a reference to the TV movie claim that he's half human? I thought they were ignoring that.

7. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

perhaps the beam would have killed the alien germs in him, not just human germs, i don't think he specifically meant human germs were keeping him alive, but whatever process the sterilization thing uses would also kill his alien germs, and he knew that

8. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

If the device were set for humans, it would try to eradicate anything that wasn't supposed to be in a human. For the Doctor, that should be everything, sort of like the bio-filter on the TNG transporters.

9. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched it. Overall I liked it, but had a few issues with the Silurians/Homo Reptilia:

1. I don't like the more human look. It makes it too easy for the viewer to empathize with them. If it's more of a struggle to connect with an "alien," there's a bigger payoff. Think about D84 in "Robots of Death" (I still get choked up at his death scene) or the Horta from TOS "Devil in the Dark" ("No Kill I"). The faces were just too human for my liking.

2. The Silurian warrior woman seemed to have...how do I say this delicately...a rack. Why would reptiles have breasts? They're not mammals, after all.

3. Related to this, the Silurians in general were blathering on about "apes" a lot, and even talked about hunting them. I'm a little unclear of exactly when they took the Big Sleep, but wasn't it before apes emerged? Wouldn't they just have been chasing shrews or lemurs around?

That's just the cranky nitpicky stuff. Altogether it made for an enjoyable 42 minutes o TV. I'm really impressed with Matt Smith so far--I absolutely buy him as "the Doctor."

10. The Wormhole

Because they're played by mammal actors, and that sort of thing is difficult to cover up.

I remember this sort of issue coming up in Star Trek discussions about the Cardassians, who are supposedly reptillian but they're women have breasts as well.

11. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

?!

Hey Bones! Come over here and flash us your boobies!

Purely for scientific inquiry, of course.

12. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Ok. Give me three hours, Google Image Search, and Photoshop.

13. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Clock's ticking...

14. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Breasts? Are you referring to her venom glands?

15. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I'll never think of breasts the same way again... :(

16. Shatnertage

Venom glands? Yikes!

Maybe they were...Dalek bumps?

17. The Wormhole

Dalek bumps are clearly balls.

18. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

The female reptiles were hot

19. Shatnertage

In The Curse of Fatal Death they seem to be quite a bit more.