Was there ever a planet, where u said... "Surely that's good enough?"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sometimes their weekly problems weren't so dire, or resolved with an explosion of sugar so rich that you just say "HEEL! Enough, is enough! Park your ass down for a couple years, a generation maybe? Repair the ship, build some support vessels, or grow some new crew... Found a new nation!"

What world from the show looked dooable to you?

Gods.

What sort of names for their cities and towns would they come up with?

Chakotyville

Janeway Springs?

Kims End

Mount Torres.

Paris Bay

Etc, etc...

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Was there ever a planet, where u said... "Surely that's good enoug

The crew would not have named places after each other. Janeway would have used names of great scientists and there certainly would have been a Da Vinci Ville. Chakotay would be throwing around the Native American nomenclature and there would be many sappy stories about his ancestors and why this hump of hill needed to be named after some hump of hill they had settled on.

Kim would have lobbied to name a river Libby but after being shouted down would have named the river after his mother.

7 would ascribe numbers to all surveyed areas and insist on referring to those areas that way even after they had names.

The 37's world was insanely doable without a whole lot left to do. But maybe they weren't ready to give up until season 6 or so.

3. Guy Gardener

Oh no.

They would erect a life sized Fairhaven.

4. teacake

That would be so sweet!

5. Guy Gardener

oh no.

If Voyager was afraid someone was following them, all they needed to do was every time they passed an unoccupied planet was to fire a genesis torpedo set to 'farhaven" at that rock and sally forth. You might think it a good thing to visit Fairhaven, but imagine you're trying to explore the universe while hunting Kathryn and every planet you encountered was identically Fairhaven.

Every.

Damn.

Planet.

Oddly, the Episode were Neelix died and came back was about proto-matter, how ridiculous that this was only so tenuously and accidentally a nod to star trek III that the proto matter had nothing to do with Neelix coming back.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they named a town after Kim it would be called Ensign4everopolis. Obviously their cashcrop would be Pure Janewaymian Coffee

7. teacake

I don't know if there would be any cash crops. How good at farming would they be?

Well Chak did grow a lot of stuff when stranded with Janeway.

8. Guy Gardener

Men would be growing better coffee plantations in competition of one another to catch the former Captains eye.

Remember when Suder (Who was on Wilfred last night and his hair is not there any more on his crown at all, not that we haven't all be watching his hair line recede into the back of his neck since Cuckoo's Nest.) tried to prove how useful he was to the crew by growing orchids?

WRONG PLANT!!

Know your audience.

If he had been showing her how he could make mutant super Coffee bean trees, well gosh darn, but he would have earned a pardon right there and then in basics part 1... And he wouldn't have been in a position to save the ship from the kazon and the crew would have stayed settled on that basics planet.

9. teacake

Yes.

This is why Neelix IS a survivor. He kept the coffee coming. Of course Suder could have been appealing to Tuvok with the orchids but there's not much good in that since he has only minimal influence on anyone.

10. Guy Gardener

Tuvok was busy being in love with his wife. and Suder was probably in love with Tuvok's wife too. And considering he had all of Tuvok's memories about sexy time and lovely time with T'Pring he'd have to be quite souless not to be as in love with that girl as the original template...

Everytime he mind melds.

"I want vital information from you to save day, in exchange, this is what my wifes breasts look like."

Janeway orders him to this constantly.

Well.

Almost sometimes.

still.

What a Pimp!

11. teacake

Haha you wrote "T'Pring".

Still, they all look the same.

12. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, given their technological capabilities (which were severely misrepresented on-screen and dumbed down almost weekly), setting down in an uninhabited star-system or orbiting a star would provide ample supply of energy to replicate or synthesize everything they could possibly need.

Seriously... making such a pit stop once per year (or once every 6 months) would have been more than enough... but no, the writers forgot about automation, highly advanced energy to matter conversion technologies, not to mention half a dozen other things they could have done to get rid of their 'shortage' issues.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm suprised they never bumped into one of those 1960's Earths that seemed to litter the galaxy in TOS.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  14. teacake

Hey they found a WHOLE pick up floating in space. That's almost as good as Abraham Lincoln on his throne.

15. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

well without the warp core running the engines, i'm sure it would kick out enough power for them to cobble together a few 'industrial replicators', or keep the normal replicators running for a few centuries

M

16. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally, despite all the colonization seen in space operas, I would be surprised if anything that arose on one planet would grow on another, including human beings. After all those millenia, our relatively close relations, the Voth, were still living on ships. I think this was an accurate portrayal of what would be necessary.

There wouldn't be the correct nutrients and elements in neither the soil nor the atmosphere to sustain earth organisms long term, nor the proscribed seasons and sunlight. The only reason we have a fairly stable climate is that we have a good moon.

No moon, and your planet wobbles wildly, creating havoc in your seasons. Also, higher organisms depend on micro-organisms that would not be supported by an alien environment -- which might in fact contain detrimental factors, not just neutral ones.

Living on ships is a good idea; and I always thought it right that the VOY crew felt at home on theirs.

17. Guy Gardener

You're forgetting that most life in the (fictional) galaxy was seeded by a single race, who chose in particular which planets to seed.

With out intelligent design proved, as seen in TNG The Chase, you'd be spot on the money.

18. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

There wouldn't be any two planets so alike that life wouldn't change and adapt over millions of years to meet the unique requirements of its own ecosystem.

19. teacake

I wish we would hurry up and find out. It depresses me that I'll most likely be long dead before we find any kind of life anywhere.

20. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Damn, I got to this thread too late to make the obvious "Fair Haven" joke...