A Semi-Hater Revisits Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by TheGodBen, Feb 9, 2009.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Enterprise-D in Where No One Has Gone Before.

2. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

:cardie: I've been reading this thread after watching each episode (since this is my first-time watch of VOY - on TV) and I thought I wouldn't comment on old posts... but I can't help it this time. Lesbian dominatrix? Um... what? :wtf: :rommie: Did I miss something? Like a scene of Janeway tongue-kissing Seven and then whipping her? :guffaw: :guffaw::guffaw:

And I was under the impression that Simulation Janeway was simply a militant, ruthless captain who shoot prisoners and gave orders to use biological weapons. I don't remember anything in the episode dealing with her sexuality. :vulcan:

3. TheGodBen

It's a well known fact that any woman in command of an isolated spaceship who uses ruthless force with little regard for life is a secret lesbian. Like Admiral Cain in nuBSG or... Captain Garrett in Yesterday's Enterprise.

4. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I see you'e returned to the scene of the crime. ;)

I don't see many similarities between Cain and Janeway though. Cain was ruthless but I think part of it was having too high a regard for life. In my opinion watching all those "kids" under her command die during the attack unhinged her. That's just speculation on my part though.

As for Janeway I don't see her as either ruthless or as having a high disregard for life...

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cain was in charge. Colonial law permitted her to do everything she did. Listen to Zerek go on about oppression, it wasn't hard to get a boot to mash your face in, even during the most peaceful eras from colonial history.

kathy was more like Llyod Bridges as Commander Cain in TOSBSG. Y'know, if he pranced less.

Janeway permitted the culling of hundreds of thousands of Borg drones along side dozens of semifree Borg dreamers from Unimatrix Zero because she deanthropomorhisizes her enemies well.

6. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

The borg queen did the actual culling while Janeway was pretty much helpless stop her. That's hardly a situation of running amok.

7. TheGodBen

I'm not letting go until I get that view counter over 100,000. ;)

But Cain encouraged rape and shot her XO in the head, so she was clearly a lesbian, and evil Janeway had those black leather gloves, which is the biggest indication of lesbianism there is. I mean, two women going all the way could just be heterosexual college students experimenting, but if one of them wears black leather gloves during the act then you can be sure she's a lesbian.

You know, there are times I think that I'm turning into a lesser version of Guy Gardener.

8. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

How could there be a lesser version of Guy? And I mean that as a compliment! :techman:

9. DevilEyes

Since I've started to post comments about old episodes, I'll just continue...

I watched that episode today, and I just want to mention something in addition to this: I noticed that a comic moment between Seven and EMH was literally taken from TOS "The Trouble with Tribbles".

The Doc: If you had a sense of humor, you would know that I was making a small joke.
    Seven: Very small.

Chekov: I was making a little joke.
    Spock: Very little.

Couldn't they at least make up some funny lines of their own, instead of stealing them from TOS? :vulcan:

10. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

I think it's charming that they reuse lines. I mean, some of them have become famous, like "He's dead, Jim"; or "I'm a doctor, not a whatever." Besides, that exchange between Chekov and Spock isn't all that unique. It's possible that the Voyager writer didn't even remember it.

11. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love the little "shout outs" to previous shows. It's like the "I'm a doctor, not a _____" thing -- it never gets old.

12. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I forgot about the black leather gloves = lesbian rule. Silly me!

13. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

sigh... is this the only application of black leather gloves?

14. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I wear them sometimes to keep my hands warm. I also have - this is true - brown leather gloves and fuschia leather gloves.

Hey, it gets cold around here in the winter! ;)

15. DevilEyes

I have them, too. To my embarrassment - since I am normally trying to avoid stuff made of dead animals :alienblush: and most of my "leather" clothes is fake leather (it is also a good excuse to buy less expensive clothes ;) ) but you know, it was really, really cold that day, my hands were freezing, and the store I ran into had really good, warm black leather gloves (with fur inside, to make it worse :alienblush:)...

Hey, it may still be fake leather and fur... I can hope...

16. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cold can make it tough to hold to your convictions, can't it?

I have no such objections, but I have one friend who does and her position is that meat comes from the meat tree. So you could say that your gloves were made from the bark of the leather tree. ;)

17. DevilEyes

It's not easy to be a biological humanoid. Our bodies often fail us ethically. ;)

Works for me! :bolian:

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Eh, Leather is no good in the cold. I'd say stick to velvet or just fabric gloves, or cotton wool.

But yeah, Janeway in "Living Witness" was more sexualized than a lesbian. I even thought that line about "why do you always keep me waiting" to EvilSmile!Tuvok had something deeper to it.

19. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    "EvilSmile!Tuvok."

:rommie:

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

That scene alone is what made me accept that idea in my VOY rewrite for Tuvok being more unsettling and cold, because I knew for myself that Tim Russ could pull it off.

By the way, have you reading the rewrite? What do you think of it so far?