State of Trek according to Entertainment Weekly

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HaplessCrewman, Sep 24, 2013.

1. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My opinion of the better video sales for ID over IM3; more people saw IM3 in the theater and felt 'finished' with it while hordes who missed ID in theaters are now catching up. [/speculative theory]

2. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Fair assessment.

I know I'm particular with what I see in the theater. STiD was an obvious pick for me to see in theaters, and I have yet to see any of the other summer blockbuster movies. I'm not a theater person. And eventually I'll catch up with them on TV or BluRay Disk.

The next movie I'll catch in theaters is The Hobbit's next installment.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Because last time Paramount and JJ were highly criticised that ST 2009 was somehow a failure - or, at least, a disappointment - at the international box office. So the marketing people created a (successful) strategy that saw the international box offices do extremely well.

And then you can't tour the actors around for all the free publicity at the red carpet openings.

Ditto "Nemesis". It created new sales records for the day of release on DVD, IIRC.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I didn't see any mention of Star Trek XII in that article either.

7. JarodRussell

You guys are absolutely hilarious.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Better than posting something deceitful and misleading.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Warning for trolling. Comments to PM.

10. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to start profit and loss wars again on these boards, but World War Z is mentioned in the article as having barely made a profit. Wonder what the source for that is. Its reported budget of $190 million is identical to the one reported for STID, but WWZ made $70 million more that STID in worldwide gross ($467 million for STID to $540 million for WWZ).

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd not sure how much these papers actually know about the profitability of movies.

We already know Paramount wants a sequel to Into Darkness for 2016. I doubt that would be the case if it had been a financial disaster for them.

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

It's just odd that WWZ would be the example in the article when STID grossed less with the same reported budget.

Could be the margins on both were thinner than hoped and couldn't make up for the movies that were truly bombs. Or, while the profit margin on STID was expected, it was projected that WWZ would turn a bigger profit that it did, making it a relative disappointment.

14. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

True.

15. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Also, my understanding is that more of the domestic gross goes into the studio's coffers, and STID did better there.

16. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Agree.

What would The Hollywood Reporter know about the film industry and profits?

17. BillJ

I'm sure they have a good flow of general information. But I doubt they're privy to many of the financial details.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

WWZ made more box office over all, however, they only made $202M Domestically, compared to their budget of $190M. STiD made $228M Domestically.

The International Box Office share for Paramount is much, much smaller than Domestic.

Also, you have to wonder about Productizing, did STiD sell more Product Placement or TV Rights? Was $190M WWZ's true Budget after all was said and done? There were lots of delays, and rewrites and budget overruns, etc.

STiD definitely seems to be making up for any less than desired Box Office by it's stellar Disc sales

19. BillJ

I was wondering about this. I remember reading that there were rumors that the budget for World War Z was in the $220-230 million dollar range after delays and cost overruns. Filming a new final third of the movie couldn't have been cheap.

I can't remember where I read it though. :(

20. JarodRussell

When a budget say 190 million, does it already include the 5 millions they got from Nokia and the 5 millions they got from Budweiser, etc...? A third of the film is already paid for by product placement.

Hollywood accounting is a mystery in itself. Don't trust anyone when they say it didn't make a profit. As far as I know, David Prowse has still not seen a penny for his performance in Return of the Jedi, because it didn't make a profit.