is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

^ More hope lollipops. I can dig it. :)

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

@SpockUhuraFan: In the ST Ongoing comic, Keenser's species are called 'Roylans'.

3. Spock/Uhura Fan

^Thank you. :)

4. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

maybe spock will die and be replaced by thelin

5. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Specifically he's from the mining caste: "Deep Roylans". ;)

6. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

Oh goody, he's a pet because he's short. :rolleyes:

Sizism. :rolleyes:

Maybe Scotty and he will became lovers tm. Yay!

Maybe Quinto will write, "Cummberbund still isn't Khan". :guffaw:

7. Spock/Uhura Fan

^ Who said he's a pet because he's short? You're the first person the bring size into the equation. So, perhaps you could try rereading the thread. :rolleyes:

About size: It's not the height that matters; it's what you do with it. ;)

One of my favorite characters on Game of Thrones is only 4'5". No one would mistake him for a pet because that's not how he's written, shown, or treated by anyone he interacts with. And even when someone has tried to put him down, he's sharp witted enough to rise above it and make them wish they hadn't.

[​IMG]

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

And then much later, wen he gets older, he can release a follow up book "I Am Also Spock (Afterall)"

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

To be perfectly fair, "cutesy little useless pet critter" kinda does hint that size might be part of the equation for some. Anyway, the notion of Keenser as a pet has been coming up since the movie first came out, and probably won't be going away any time soon, no matter how many times his friendship and working relationship with Scotty is pointed out.

10. Spock/Uhura Fan

And, why is that? I think you highlighted the wrong words, to be honest. What jumps out at me is this:

That's what made him seem more like a pet than anything else. For me, his size had nothing to do with it. I've seen people with dogs so big (just as an example) that the dog seemed to be walking them instead of the other way around. Still, I knew which one was the pet.

This is also why I would like to know what Keenser's job is, so he doesn't seem useless. Most of the movie, he's either just sitting or standing there. For a Starfleet officer that has some sort of job to do, that's interesting. I mean, Scotty just fell into place, which is odd now that I think of it. He seemed to be the chief engineer before they got back to Earth. How did that happen? Did the other guy die like the head doctor did? Anyway, Scotty was able to just walk in and take over. But what of his friend/companion? What did he do, and who did he really interact with that had any kind of impact on the story? That is more the issue, rather than size, at least in my book.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interestingly enough, the recent comic from IDW which develops Keenser's backstory, revealed that back on Delta Vega it was in fact Keenser who outranked Scotty. Scotty has to report to Keenser upon arriving.

For some reason, upon getting onboard the Enterprise, Scotty is promoted over Keenser, but I guess that's not as bad as Kirk jumping from cadet to Captain...

12. The Wormhole

Yes, the Enterprise's chief engineer was the guy who opened his chute too late and ended up flying into the Romulan drill over Vulcan.

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

Which makes the fact that he really had no speaking interaction with Spock Prime or Kirk when they arrived all the more perplexing.

And it would be nice to know what that reason was, but I suppose that it wasn't important enough to include. And you're right, neither McCoy's nor Scotty's promotions were as bad... McCoy's made the most sense and calls for the least amount of question, if any at all.

So, an opening was made for Scotty, which makes sense, but I'd think the other guy, Keenser, could have done more than just sit there, then.

14. The Wormhole

Well, the comic also establishes that Keenser just isn't a talkative guy. Even among his own people he didn't really say much.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seriously, does anyone know if Deep Roy is back in Into Darkness? I haven't spotted him on IMDB's cast page. Cupcake definitely returns, Keenser should too!

16. Spock/Uhura Fan

That's good to know, but the movie could have established at least that. You know, like, Kirk tries to say hello to him once they've been let out of the cold, maybe even holds out a hand for a handshake, and the Roylan just looks at him. Then, Scotty could have said something like, "Oh, that's Lieutenant Keenser. Don't be offended. He doesn't say much on a good day. Me, on the other hand, I love a good chat. Imagine what it was like when I first came here and he was my only company." And at that, Keenser could have given him a look.

That right there (or something close) would have taken care of things, at least for me...

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never understood an actor turning down star roles because they don't want to be associated with "just" that character.

Toby Maguire pulled the same stunt with Spider-man and hasn't had a big role since, and the franchise moved on without him with another reboot.

Really seems to be just shooting yourself in the foot.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Speaking of Keenser/Deep Roy, I just realized he played Mr. Sin in the Classis Doctor Who Serial The Talons of Weng Chieng. All these years, I had no idea that Keenser, The Oompa Loompas and Mr Sin were all played by the same person :alienblush:

I seriously doubt Spock will be permanently killed off in Into Darkness or rceast for the third film. I believe he's a crucial part of the Trilogy and "Conventional Studio thinking" would cringe at the idea, IMHO.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  19. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

He played Mr Sin!? He played hi to perfection. :Chills:

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed.