TIL...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Holdfast, Jul 11, 2012.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, my 401K is based in mutual funds, and sometimes those lose money. When that happens, my 401K loses money. Or something.

These are all grown up things that I don't want to have to deal with yet.

2. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Oh, that's what you meant by taking money out! That makes sense. Yeah, mine is going to be in mutual funds too, it's a shame, but gambling is really the only way to go for people our age -- unless a miracle happens with social security.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think that's what I meant, but I'm not also not 100% sure. :lol:

4. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

All sorts of amazing things.
    And the customer responses... :guffaw:

5. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^I LOVE Amazon customer responses and reviews! I can't remember what product it was for, but I think my favorite was a review that went something along the lines of, "Sometimes, when I can't sleep at night, I take off all my clothes and smear myself with vaseline, then slide around on the kitchen floor pretending to be a slug."

6. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Now THAT is sig-worthy. :bolian:

7. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

TIL... that Apple Mac computers can be just as faulty as Windows based computers. I see so much hype about how much better a Mac is than a PC... yet, they can very fallible. I just got done troubleshooting an old iMac G5 and getting it back in service. It took quite a lot of effort, as there isn't a myriad of choices on diagnostic software. But I was able to do it. I actually like the simplicity of the Mac OSX desktop interface, enough that I may pick up one down the road. The one I fixed is going back to a happy family member. :)

8. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Keeping to the Apple theme, TIL that a new recharger for my Macbook costs £65. I am not impressed. :vulcan:

9. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TIL that after spending most of the day in the ER on Saturday, I did *not* have a heart attack, thank God!

Woke up Saturday morning, and within minutes had a very intense pain in my upper left back. Laid back down with a heating pad which helped, but the pain was starting to move around to my chest (!). Got up to take a shower, and ended up passing out in the shower. Had to get my very scared kids to call my wife who was out at a meeting to come take me to the ER. Got a few new holes poked in me and about 2 dozen sensor pads attached (lost quite a bit of chest hair to those). Passed out again in triage, but that was after they took some blood. (I don't do well with that stuff.) After several hours and a few different tests, they determined that it was *not* cardiac-related, but likely muscular/skeletal and not life-threatening. Have to follow up with my doctor later this week. But I was quite panicked and freaked out most of the day (not to mention my wife & kids), not something I want to go through again.

10. Mary Ann

Ouch! Glad your heart's all right, B.J. That must have been terrifying for you and your family.

11. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Yikes! -what a scare! How did you ever get down from that?

12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    ^
    That's great to hear! I'm very happy for you!

TIL that no matter how plainly and clearly you explain something with common sense to back you up, some idiot with his head up his butt is going to act like he doesn't understand and that you're the one who's in error and mistaken.

13. Mary Ann

You only learned that today? ;)

14. cooleddie74

No. But it's the first time I learned it with a particular person I thought was a whole lot smarter than this.

I was wrong. ;)

15. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

[​IMG]

just for Holdfast

16. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

That if you go to the airport ticket counter and the agent tells you that the "seat assignments are under gate control" that means the flight is oversold and they will ask for volunteers to take the next flight out. It wasn't me, it was a nice older couple at the counter while I was using the self service check in.

I confirmed an earlier learning to not take the first offer. Because I didn't have to be back that day for anything, I was able to collect a $500 flight voucher, 5K airline miles, and I got upgraded to first for my troubles on the next flight out, 90 minutes later. :mallory:

17. cooleddie74

TIL that if you watch too much old footage of past Presidential debates you officially cross the threshold between being a political nerd and a political geek. The fact I'm not wearing hornrimmed glasses, a pocket protector and posting awful fanfic about the Bush-Dukakis faceoff is a bit of a small miracle.

18. kolibri

kolibri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TIL that I am completely incapable of kissing my own ass during interviews and that I will never, ever, ever get a job.

19. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Yes, anyone who has experience with dogs knows they aren't particularly picky eaters. They'll eat just about anything organic, including, on occasion, their own poop. :barf:

20. Mary Ann

Today I learned that decorator's tape that claims it won't remove paint when peeled off lies. :vulcan: The touch-ups shouldn't take me more than five minutes, but it's the thought that counts.