Superman: The Reboot --- Its official

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Super-girly-man?

Ye gods.

2. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For my part, I agree. The One True Green Lantern, Honor Lantern Number One, could toss a small continent past Earth orbit without a backwards glance and then get back to Oa in time to muse about why the Lantern in charge of the cafeteria--limited only by willpower and imagination--can't whip up a dozen passable buffalo wings, or even a simple bacon cheeseburger...

Even--or perhaps especially--if they painted the said continent yellow first.

(I'm serious. I love Hal, but I've been a Huy fan since I first saw him in Crisis and Legends.)

is it me, or is Guy Gardner basically the Chuck Norris of the GLC?

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you halve Chucks vocab, sure. :)

4. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Re: Superman: The Reboot --- Its offcial

This is fantastic news!

While a dark superman could work...how about they just try to get superman right first? The Dark Knight isn't good because it's dark...it's good because they got Batman SOMEWHAT correct.

5. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always thought that the storyline "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, And The American Way" would be a great idea for a Superman Movie (though the title would be a mouthful). It has all the elements of a Superman movie that would make all parties happy. It has the right touch of darkness without going all Nolan-esque brooding, introspection without mind numbing plodding, and action that goes beyond catching and lifting. Plus, above all, it's a fun story. And at the end of the day, fun is what Superman's always been about. The scene that stands out to me and is the textbook Superman scene was this: In a comic I read, Superman was doing his rounds until he sees an SUV skid off an expressway ramp. He swoops in and catches it with ease, much to the delight of the driver and her son. The son looks out the window and sees who caught them and says "Are you Superman? That is so cool!". Superman replies, "Yes, I am Superman. And, yes, it is cool,". That's the Superman I want to see. A Superman that does his job with a twinkle in his eye. A Superman that loves to be Superman, dispite its hardships and risks. Not doing it with a heavy heart and weary soul. And with the success of The Dark Knight and movies like Wolverine and Watchmen down the pipeline, it's a Superman that's sorely needed.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. That's the one thing that's been missing since George Reeves played the character-- that jovial, lighthearted quality. I certainly think there's something worthwhile in exploring a more alienated kind of Superman, but ultimately my IDEAL version is in that "father figure" George Reeves mold.

7. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Ah, crap, I knew I forgot something.... :p

Are you kidding? That quality in the character was all over the Christopher Reeve movies (for example, his line to Lois about flying being the safest way to travel, or asking the cat burglar if something was wrong with the elevator...there are numerous examples). I agree that George Reeves' Superman-as-father-figure has a certain appeal after John Haymes Newton, Gerard Christopher, Dean Cain, Tom Welling, and Brandon Routh all gave us more youthful takes on the character, but I still feel that Christopher Reeve walked the line between youth and maturity in the perfect way for Superman...which is one of the reasons he is (and will be) such a tough act to follow.

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'll be pretty amused too. It would be the ultimate revenge for losing that Jim Caviezel bet, which, I wonder then, if Millar was attached, would Caviezel get cast?

What a sweet case of irony THAT would be...:lol:

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

11. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think the general public would have a problem with that, even someone late 20 might be better, but very few people actually play a character their age. It this point I hope they get it done. At least he has a plan.

12. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

and somewhere a studio exec dreams of a Mark Millar/Frank Miller -written Batman v. Superman with the blood splatter going fffzzxzzzzz and whoreswhoreswhores.

oh no what have I done :eek:

13. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:

Best description of Frank Miller's writing that I have ever seen!

14. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

I thought everyone used that description these days...

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

16. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know this thread's a couple months old, but Superman Returns was just on here tonight in Japan, and I wondered to myself... hey, when's the next one coming out? It must be soon, because I remember hearing about it when Batman - Dark Knight was coming along. And here that is already released.

And I find this thread and the wikipedia entry stating that they are rebooting the reboot.

How does one reboot a reboot? WTF is happening? :klingon: Other posters have said Superman would not work as well darker, like Batman. I agree with that - solid. Others have stated this would be an origin story... is this confirmed??
    What a kick in the nuts. I was really wondering what would become of
    Superman's son
    , perhaps the most interesting thing to come out of that film.

I also am surprised to hear it was a "box office failure". Isn't that term relative to have much money they throw at it?

17. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

SR wasn't really a reboot, though.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed 100%.

My response to the "as dark as the character allows" comment, is this:

The character of Superman allows NO darkness.

That is simply not what Superman is supposed to be. He *must* be a nice guy. Somebody who actually smiles and enjoys his work. Somebody everyone can look up to and respect. Somebody who is ALL good and NO bad. The ultimate Boy Scout, as it were. Darkening all that - in any way - would completely ruin Superman as a character.

To paraphrase "What's So Funny About...": People who want a dark Superman really want Manchester Black. And look what happened to him.

19. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

That's it. The movie did not make enough of a profit when compared to how much was spent on it and the studio's expectations for the film.

I too am wary about the "darker" comment; Superman does not need dark like Batman does. I agree with the poster way back who said that the studio should worry about getting Supes right first. The reason why the X-Men, Nolan's Batman, Iron Man, and Spider-Man worked on film is because those movies got the characters "right". A few modifications to the powers/origins did not interfere with that.

Donner's Superman got the character "right" for that point in time. Whereas I enjoyed Returns immensely as a film, the characters were just "off".

20. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And we're of for another go on the merry go round!