stalkin' my peeps - Welcome New Members thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by alibee, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Lieutenant Red Shirt

Greetings all!!!
    Listy here...Excited to be a part. Hope to get to know you all soon.

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome, Listy :)
    In my experience, the best way to get to know people is to post in the lounges. Every rank here has their own lounge which is invisible to all the other ranks. It's a very good possibility get to know each other and make friends. Quite a lot of those board members who were Caprtains or Fleet Captains with me have become real life friends over the years. Some of them I met in the lounges 12 years ago.
    Plus: traditionally, the lounges always have the nicest Moderators :adore:

Another place I can recommend is the Science forum. There's everything from serious discussions to funny ones, threads tend to drift off-topic, we quarrel and doubt each other's theories but it's still a good atmosphere and a scientific disagreement doesn't rub off on the personal relationships there. If you enjoy a mature discussion it's a very good place to post. Just don't forget to list your sources, that's pretty much the only thing we take serious there LOL)

3. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thanks for the welcome! So the redshirt lounge for example is one of those rank based lounges?

4. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

yes, it is :) People get promoted pretty quickly from there, so that most of us didn't get to post much there but if you have a look at the old threads and posts you'll find some of people who are now Admirals :D
    I love the Lounges because they are such private places. You can let your hair down and talk very openly.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    A lot of fun has gone on in the Lounges over the years. Just ask around and some of us will be happy to help you get acclimated to the forums. Plenty of interesting people around here. :)

6. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hello to all the recent new joins who I have missed :)

7. Britta

Britta Lieutenant Red Shirt

Greetings! Long time fan of various Star Trek incarnations, short time user of forums. :rommie:

I'm active over on GateWorld, I've seen a few familiar usernames here. I decided I'd make like an invasive species and spread on over here. No cause for alarm.

Hoping I have fun here!

8. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Hello Susan. Nice you could be here. And no offence... but I'm not in a hurry to meet your granddad. :)

9. Britta

He's a pretty nice guy really, he makes time to see everybody sooner or later...

10. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

He's generous like that. :)

11. kirsten187

OMG! Britta! You're here too! I'm also kirsten187 on Gateworld!!

12. Britta

Your choice of avatar did leave that rather unambiguous. :p

13. kirsten187

What are you saying? That the Napoleonic Power Monger gave it away?! :D

14. Britta

The possibility of there being more than one kirsten187 who's a big Janet Fraiser fan achieves escape velocity from credibility, and winds up somewhere the vicinity of the Great Unlikely Nebula. :rommie:

15. kirsten187

What can you say? Janet Fraiser RULES!!

16. newpball

newpball Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

New join, after being quarantined ready to post.

Interests: Star Trek TOS, Tennis, Video, Audio, Imaging.

Hope to find interesting TOS discussions.

:)

17. HarryCanyon1982

HarryCanyon1982 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My name is Harrycanyon1982 (yes named after Heavy Metal's cab driver) and i'll be 33 next month. I've been a Trekkie since i was 4 when i saw ST II on cable with Star Trek II on Nickelodeon and saw ST IV in theaters as well.

I'm also a Star Wars fan, a Sci-fi/fantasy nut, a horror fan, an animation geek, Otaku, a proud furry, a proud brony. I also conventions, traveling, meditation with crystals and crystal sounds, execising, cooking, sexy ladies, reading, comics/graphic novels, art, museums, amusement parks, bars and all that.

I live in Albuquerque New Mexico and all that.

18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Welcome to all the newbies who've joined the board since the last time I posted here! I hope you're enjoying yourselves in the forums and making friends!

Have fun, everybody!

19. His Eyes Opened

His Eyes Opened Ensign Newbie

What's up, guys? Longtime forum dweller, noob Trekkie, only started watching the series back in Dec 2012. I've finished up the first six movies and all episodes up to the middle TNG season 5 with no exposure to DS9, VOY, or ENT yet.

Let me explain my username. It is a reference to the TNG episode Darmok where Picard makes first contact with a race of aliens who speak in metaphors and symbols referencing various cultural mythologies. The reason why I named myself this: I have high-functioning autism and I've spent my whole life having trouble with communication. Because of this the issue of and the pursuit of better communication is important to me, and the Darmok episode struck a personal spot for me since metaphor and symbolism has become such a big part of my language. My username is a reminder to myself to always find the most articulate words to express my thoughts.

To be honest, I'm a little worried that my autism might make me say.... stupid things, and I'm not used to forums of this size.