Why does Sci Fi do so poorly in the ratings

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Zod, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

I am talking mostly about newish shows on the Major networks (CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox) Sci Fi and Fantasy to be exact. Outside of a few exceptions like Sleepy Hollow all the newish shows are in danger of cancellation.

Almost Human
    Agents of Shield
    Dracula
    Revolution

All are on the bubble, doing poorly in the ratings and will most likely be cancelled.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/11/death-watch-2014-renewed-canceled/

Can we get some of these types of shows that can make it? I was surprised to read about Almost Human. I thought it was pretty good.

At least I still have Walking Dead. Wish there was more worth recording.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

SF/F shows aren't any more likely to fail in the ratings than non-SF/F shows these days. The top rated scripted shows on cable are SF/F shows.The failure rates for first season shows on the broadcast networks are very high across the board. It looks like maybe six of the 20 new drama shows that have premiered so far on the broadcast networks will be renewed for second seasons, and three of those six are SF/F shows.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay.

Game of Thrones
    The Walking Dead
    Supernatural
    Arrow

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    Plus The Vampire Diaries, Haven, Lost Girl, American Horror Story, Grimm, Falling Skies, Once Upon a Time, Person of Interest, Teen Wolf, Continuum, Da Vinci's Demons, Defiance, Hemlock Grove, The Originals, Orphan Black, Under the Dome, Witches of East End, and maybe a few more depending on how things go.

5. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

Well that's true there are other shows both new and older. The ones I mentioned are big budget shows that were created to make it. Almost human has movie quality effects and a movie star at the helm and yet it looks like it won't make it.

Shield also has the big budget and the avengers tie in.

Surprising more people are not watching.

6. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

I would like to leave off Game of Thrones from any list due to it being on HBO. Walking dead I mentioned in my post. Supernatural has been on for what 8 or 9 years? I meant newer shows released recently, and on the big four networks really. Maybe its the sheer diversity of choice these days that makes it harder for these shows released on major networks. Maybe its the idea that they have not factored in the amount of people who DVR accurately? I was sure a show like Shield would make it.

Maybe its the walking dead phenomena. The networks just don't take the risks that shows like that take every week. Their big budgets force them to compromise and to be generic to aim for larger audiences.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Agents of SHIELD will likely be renewed. It's not 100% certain, but it is likely.

The broadcast networks have launched 20 new drama shows so far this season, 9 SF/F shows and 11 non-SF/F shows. Of the new SF/F drama shows, 2 have been renewed (The Originals and Sleepy Hollow), 1 is likely to be renewed (Agents of SHIELD) and 1 is on the bubble (Almost Human). The other 5 will likely be cancelled. Of the new non-SF/F drama shows, 2 have been renewed (The Blacklist and Reign) and 1 is likely to be renewed (Chicago PD). The other 8 will likely be cancelled. It's tough to launch new shows on the broadcast networks across the board.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Genre shows have a high fail rate because they require a much larger budget and appeal to a much smaller audience. Most people think SF/F is stupid. They don't like to think :lol:

(sadly, I'm only 50% joking)

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Some SF/F shows have big budgets, some don't - in fact many don't. And they generally don't have a higher failure rate than non-SF/F shows these days. As ratings thresholds drop and everything becomes niche, SF/F shows are finding more and more fertile ground. Even CBS, traditionally the least hospitable network for SF/F, currently has a couple of successful SF/F shows.

10. Kelthaz

Oh, so long, successful science fiction and fantasy shows don't count. You only want to know about the successful and short-lived shows.

Wait, what?

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The top 5 premieres for new drama shows on the Big 4 broadcast networks so far this season ranked by demo rating:

4.7/14 - Agents of SHIELD (ABC)
    3.8/10 - The Blacklist (NBC)
    3.5/9 - Sleepy Hollow (Fox)
    3.1/8 - Almost Human (Fox)
    2.4/6 - Intelligence (CBS)

4 of the 5 are SF/F shows. Sleepy Hollow held its audience well, while the other 3 SF/F shows shed a lot of viewers, but it shows that sizable audiences are certainly willing to tune in and sample SF/F shows.

The bottom 5 premieres for new drama shows on the Big 4 broadcast networks so far this season ranked by demo rating:

1.3/4 - Ironside (NBC)
    1.3/4 - Lucky 7 (ABC)
    1.1/3 - Mind Games (ABC)
    0.9/2 - Killer Women (ABC)
    0.7/2 - The Assets (ABC)

All are non-SF/F shows.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

^ Nice job of putting things in perspective.

Fandom can sometimes be a little too invested in the notion that our tastes are somehow superior to "the masses," but, honestly, I don't think we give the general audience enough credit. Sure, there are some people who find genre stuff too "weird" for them, but that's probably because they simply have other interests. Doesn't mean that that sf/fantasy is too much for lesser minds to cope with.

13. Kelthaz

Agreed. If you look at the success of sci-fi/fantasy films like Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Avengers, or Star Wars it's hard to argue that general audiences are scared of "weird" things. The only difference between us and the general audience is that we want weird all the time.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Not to mention Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Hunger Games, Transformers, etc.

Heck, if a show in which Ichabod Crane fights the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse using secret clues found in George Washington's diary can be a hit, I don't think the "masses" only want reality shows!

15. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's would be a shame if Almost Human got axed as I enjoy it.
    from the list posted in the OP I also watch Agents of shield which IMO is just a "meh" show anyway so..

16. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Point for acknowledging the fact that not everyone lives inside fandom, even if they are fans.

Aaaand ... minus five points for insinuating that the "general audience" is somehow "lesser" minded.

I'd like to know, who exactly are these "lesser minds"?

If that was a misstatement on your part, fine. No harm, no foul, and I apologize for calling you out.

But I have read a lot of posts in this BBS from people who do consider those who aren't in sync with their tastes and opinions to be of "lesser minds." That's not only distasteful to me, in my opinion it's narrow minded and offensive.

Edited to add: If I misunderstood the statement, again I apologize.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    Given the context of Greg's post, I think there was a measure of sarcasm there about how some SF/F fans look down on "the masses". He clearly doesn't share the view that they're lesser minds.

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^Agreed. If anyone is fair and balanced on this board it's Greg.

19. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That may be, but I don't see it. And I'm not one to miss an opportunity to enjoy sarcasm wherever I find it. I hope Mr. Cox will respond and set me straight.

But thanks for interpreting. ;)

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless Richard Matheson is involved. :)

I wouldn't read the comment negatively either.