"The Alternative Factor" - Why is it so universally hated?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Caligula, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Squire of Baltimore

The Squire of Baltimore Ensign Newbie

My first post here! I want to know 2 things: 1) Why is Kirk so pissed off the entire episode? He starts it off even the first line of the show. I was waiting for one of the crew to belt him. 2) How did Mr. Leslie get to sit in the chair? It's like seeing DeSalle on "Catspaw"...

2. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

^ Uh, oh. A Newbie and an old, dead thread have collided. 1001001 will be on this like a dog on a bone. :eek:

3. The Squire of Baltimore

A little backstory...I'm in my 50's and have watched every episode hundreds of times...just got the remastered series and was looking up some information - and stumbled upon this place. (Yes the thread looks long dormant)! I read all through it and didn't see a mention of Shatner's portrayal of Kirk in this episode. I'm at a loss to explain why he is so angry, there was no reference point. Anyway thanks and when I can I'll see why 1001001 would be interested :)

4. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

1001001 is a forum moderator and usually doesn't smile kindly on the resurrection of long-dead threads.

As to why is Kirk so upset...? I haven't actually watched this episode in years; it's so plodding and confusing. I'll half-jokingly posit that Shatner is angry because he read the script.

--Alex

5. The Squire of Baltimore

What's weird is that at no point does he lose the crankiness, so the half-joke may be the only explanation. Anyway, I've got too many things going on to worry about who would be affected by a harmless thread resurrection. I was just surprised no one mentioned it. But there was three pages of Plato's Stepchildren tossed in so I can see where it was such a long thread.

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The whole talk of an invasion was a let down--you half expected Star Destroyers to come flying out of the ripples shaking the universe. That's what we should have got from the build up.

We just got a crummy saucer and a dude who falls a lot.

7. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With a very fake beard which alternates between whispy and nearly thick! Or were there more than two Lazarus's? :eek:
    JB

8. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reading the earlier posts, Mr. Shatner might have been just ticked that week.

And, as an aside, I wish mods would let people resurrect threads. If someone is interested, why not let a discussion restart?

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Usually when threads lie dormant for that long, there's a reason for it.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Okay, so...

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Second, as I do with every new poster, I encourage you to read the rules for posting on this board, and to spend time looking around and getting a feel for the place. That will help everything go smoothly.

Third, we are not going to debate the thread resurrection rule again. That comes straight from the Boss herself, and the reasons have been explained ad nauseum.

It's really easy to start a new thread and link the old one for reference, just as she suggests. So please just follow this simple and easy rule.

Thanks!

11. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

^ What he said.

1001001 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.