Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by lurok, Nov 11, 2012.

1. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Now that you've finished the series and the movie, be sure to pick up the comics. In the last series of comics, you'll learn a great deal more about Sheppard Book.

2. therealsb63

therealsb63 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

From the way the red carpet was rolled out for him when he was injured, he's obviously got some high level connections...

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Not a collector but these might tempt even me...
    [​IMG]

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

War Stories: Some more interesting Shepard Book development.. a man rather oddly familiar with Shan Yu, something he shares with Niska. And that could be all lovely and coincidental except the man can SHOOT. And not just at rabbits. And speaking of shooting.. a nice contrast with Kaylee paying like a little kid with Summer in the opening and absolutely unnerved by Summer's killing abilities at the end.

Why did Jayne buy them all a crate of apples?

[​IMG]

I'd totally forgotten how Mal stumble off the torture bed and stabs the snakey torture implement into the guy's back!

[​IMG]

Lots of advancement of our understanding of the relationships between Mal, Zoe and Wash. Rather sweet scenes after all the torture, "wife soup". That was just such a lovely line, great delivery, so much of a story there.

[​IMG]

5. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Still feeling guilty about Ariel.

"You wanna meet the real me?" :lol:

Another one of my favorites.

And again, Wash gets some of the best lines:
    "I've been in a firefight. Well, I was in a fire ... I was fired--from a frycook opportunity."
    "Zoe is terse. I can be terse. Once in flight school I was laconic."

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

"No power in the 'verse..." :borg:

7. teacake

And of course this was the episode that gave us, "I'll be in my bunk."

8. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Love this episode, my second favorite behind "Out of Gas"

Zoe "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?"
    Sheppard Book "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Zoe "Jayne. This is something the captain has to do for himself.
    Mal "No. No, it's not!"
    Zoe "Oh!"

9. teacake

And then he shoots 'em in the chest.

10. teacake

Trash: The return of Yo-Saff-Bridge! And Christina Hendricks shines. Let's look at her for a little bit..

[​IMG]

She always looks a little psychotic..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love this episode. The acting is highly nuanced I think, the scene where Mal has Saffron in the kitchen explaining the caper is so well done. The story told on the crew's faces as they absorb what stands before them :lol: I love the pace and excitement of this ep. I love seeing the floating island estate, whenever Firefly shows us the lifestyle of the wealthy in this 'verse it's great stuff. The decor, the clothing.. fascinating to look at.

And of course this is the episode that gives us more, more, more of Mal :D

[​IMG]

Which frankly is adorable.

I was a little worried about Saff in that box at the end though. A few hours? What if it gets super hot?

And you know what's sad, if there had been another season of this wonderful show we might have gotten to see Christina Hendricks in this role again. Of course she could still play Saffron.. we need JJ in bed with Whedon doing a reboot!! Forget Star Wars, there's enough of that verse already!!

11. teacake

Men are like strawberries..

12. teacake

The Message: I love how Firefly gives us a dark gritty urban space that is full of garish brightness and gewgaws. That's what always bothered me about some dark settings in sci fi, it's not like people don't still enjoy color when everything around them is decaying crap.

Much more Brown Sector than K-7..

[​IMG]

A Very Important Episode with Our Heroes picking up some special freight, most notably Jayne's cunning hat.

[​IMG]

Oh and a War vet playing Mal and Zoe for rubes. Many surprises and in the end everyone is sad about life sucking.

Kaylee is downright pensive for a few minutes.

[​IMG]

And also, Mal in the snow.

[​IMG]

SEE HOW RUGGED AND BROODING HE IS.

I see Heathcliff. Who's with me??

13. lurok

^Here's one I wrote earlier :)

14. teacake

Someone certainly did use the word quim!

Some niceties did survive the lostness of Earth that was :lol:

And yes the details.. the beautiful beautiful details. Such a richly visual show. Makes for wonderful rewatching. I keep pausing to study those "distractions" :)

I'm wondering what this wine bottle says:

[​IMG]

And see how it says St. Lucy's Medical Center above the doorway? I'm wondering if there is a medical center down that passage of if this big old space hub used to BE a medical center, in part anyway. Perhaps it's a reclaimed piece of old space tech now in private hands, someone making money off rent space and docking and fueling.

[​IMG]

I wish DS9's promenade looked like this. I think they wanted Quark's to have this kind of disreputable element but it's a very vanilla place in comparison. And Kira and Odo freaking out about the tiniest legal discrepancies makes you realize it was never going to be all that gritty.

15. teacake

Heart of Gold: Heart of Gold is my favorite episode. There are many reasons for this but the heart of those reasons is Nandi and everything she represents. Nandi being played by one of my personal cult actors, Melinda Clarke. I just adore Melinda, I have screencapped every nuance of her face during the whole of The O.C. and I am unashamed.

I'm not even going to razz out Whedon for his 14 year old boy mentality with this one because I love it so much.

[​IMG]

Has anyone else looked at the Heart of Gold Brothel and thought.. Shiny! Because I bet that got said a lot on set.

[​IMG]

Hilariously we see Jayne in a button up shirt this episode. Cuz.. whores.

[​IMG]

And later we see him brushing his lady's hair.. Jayne is always full of surprises.

[​IMG]

And of course we see lots of Melinda Clarke.. and everyone reading this post will see lots of Melinda Clarke too.

[​IMG]

Because Melinda Clarke is beautiful and is the Chanel of sass..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I always cry when she dies :(

[​IMG]

And I always laugh at this moment whey you see Rance carrying what is clearly a doll, and not a lifelike doll either.

[​IMG]

And I always cheer when Petaline shows up looking like she ACTUALLY HAD A BABY, you know with a still fat stomach.

[​IMG]

I do love Petaline :adore:

The first time I saw the "say hi to your daddy" scene I was gobsmacked :lol:

This is one of my favorite Firefly quotes:

INARA: I learned something from Nandi. Not just from what happened, but from her. The family she made, the strength of her love for them. That's what kept them together. When you live with that kind of strength you get tied to it, you can't break away. And you never want to.

And here's a cute gif from this ep :)

[​IMG]

16. FFunctionalData

FFunctionalData Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just watched the whole season on netfilx and it sucks that it was cancelled because the last ep we got showed a ton of potential with showcased great writing and the actors and crew got there grove early.

Also the ballad of Serenity is a great opening song.

17. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed, too bad its run was cut short. Let's hope no network dumbass decides to reboot it.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Everybody notice Han Solo over there on the right?

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I never noticed that. :cardie:

20. lurok

As teacake said, it's all in the details and geegaws :).