Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Jul 15, 2010.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

71.0%
  2. Above average

23.7%
  3. Average

3.6%
  4. Below average

1.8%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

And it's worth noting that Inception isn't really about "dreaming" as we know it; it's about lucid dreaming in an artificially-constructed environment, so the result is more akin to virtual reality.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I saw it very much as being like lucid dreaming too, only the "lucid dreamers" were the team the "mark" wasn't lucid dreaming.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I love how the nonexistent voters who voted "poor" have a tiny little teal-colored bar of decidedly nonzero length to represent their 0.000000 votes.:lol:

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

That guy doesn't really point out problematic things: he describes a different movie that he thinks he would enjoy more.

6. Trekker4747

Exactly. The point of the other characters isn't important, every movie that brings around a heavy sci-fi concept like this needs a exposition-monkey to explain things to audience and that Cobb, or any story, needs a physical counterpart as the "heavy" is stupid. Contless great stories have been written and told where the heavy/anatagonist is also the protagonist.

Cobb fighting his inner demons/projection of Mal is vastly more interesting and heavy in terms of drama and emotion than another, physical person would be or an "anti-team" working against them. :rolleyes:

Cobb coming to grips with his guilt, forgiving himself and moving on choosing what he believes to be reality (assuming where he ends up at the end of the movie is as much of the "real world" as we thought we were in all along) over an eternity in Limbo suffering over his own guilt with the ghost of his memories of his live is pretty damn interesting. A lot more interesting that it'd be if the "heavy" was another team of dream-invaders. :rolleyes:

7. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Six Ways 'Inception' Could Have Been Like Every Other Shitty Hollywood Movie

8. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just got back from seeing Inception for the first time and there were about 7 people in the theater. I was originally just going to save my money and stream it online, but decided against it. I'm glad that I did. It was amazing and I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much. I absolutely loved the ending. It totally fit the theme of the movie and was a perfect choice.

9. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther

Which is far less visually interesting than if they really tried to place the world in a stream of subconsciousness.

10. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I still don't understand why some people insist that Inception would have been a better movie if it had looked a little more like What Dreams May Come.

11. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While Leo was great in it. Anybody wonder how Nolan's other leads: Christian Bale, Guy Pearce, Hugh Jackman and maybe in some aspect Robin Williams or Al Pacino would have faired as Cobb?

12. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I loved the film but I left the cinema with the sort of unsettled, queasy feeling you get after a one-night stand.

13. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

That's your conscience son...ya' gotta' kill that.

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I usually feel pretty good and have a drink after a one night stand, what are you doing wrong? :p

15. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther

So long as you're making a movie about dreams, why not cut loose and explore the limits of what you can do visually if you're not constrained by any expectations of reality? Why does a movie set entirely in dreams insist on being so literal minded and so damn logical? While it's better than most heist movies out there, it feels like it could have been so much more. Why are the dreams of Inception less vivid & imaginative than the realities of Avatar or Star Wars? While Nolan's gritty realism was a refreshing new take when he did Batman Begins, I'm starting to think that gray urban landscapes are all he can do.

16. Trekker4747

As I've said before:

Not all dreams are surreal and unworldly. It all depends on the dreamer and the dream itself. So it seems foolish to criticize Nolan for not making the dreams dream-like enough when "dream-like" simply means anything.

Secondly, Cobb quite frankly points out that making the dreams too unreal, to take too much control of the dream, deminishes the reality of it and is more likely to tip-off the dreamer and his projections that he wasn't in reality. Having Murphy believe he was in reality was the enitre idea of their mission. (Granted, in the third level Murphy knew he was in a dream but by that point all of the dream levels had been designed under the idea that he would believe himself in reality the whole time.)

It just seems silly to me to criticize the movie for not making the dreams "dream like enough" when, dreams are different night-to-night. Too much of the idea that all dreams have to look like a M.C. Escher painting or something.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The whole point of making the dreams real was to trick the "victim" into thinking he was still in the real world. They flat out told us this in the movie. If it was just a movie about random dreaming, sure, make it crazy and weird. But if you're trying to force someone into making real-world decisions, you need to put them in a real world setting.

I mean, most of my dreams take place at work. Nothing crazy about them.

18. Trekker4747

Same here, my dreams are almost always in a mundane, "real" world and hardly ever are some trippy What Dreams May Come or surrealist paitning or M.C. Escher head-trip they're pretty much always in a fairly mundane world.

And even when my dreams delve into the bizzare they're still pretty much grounded in "a" reality and realism without being surreal and out of whack. Even the dream I had involving aliens/nuclear war was fairly mundane. Dreams don't all have to be about twisted faces, metling clocks, and walking around inside sceneic paintings done by Thomas Kinkade.

19. Level 2 Diagnostic

Level 2 Diagnostic Captain Captain

You mean, like when Cobb and Cillian Murphy were in the bar, and Cobb flat out told him he was having a dream? That's some trick.

20. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

They had to improvise when they discovered that Fischer had trained his mind against extraction which is why Cobb brought up "Mr. Charles" so they could get past Fischer's defenses.