Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Jul 15, 2010.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

71.0%
  2. Above average

23.7%
  3. Average

3.6%
  4. Below average

1.8%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

In a world where technology exists to enter the human mind through dream invasion, a single idea within one's mind can be the most dangerous weapon or the most valuable asset.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xitHF0IPJSQ[/yt]

The good reviews:

The bad reviews:

And finally, since Armond White doesn't like it, that probably means it's one of the best films of the year:

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

I can't wait...been waiting for this since it was first announced. Seeing it on Sat!

4. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Still one week from release here. :(

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

A lot of theaters in my area are having midnight showings. Even on fake IMAX.

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Oh my god! I want to see this movie soooooooo bad! As far as I'm concerned, Christopher Nolan is a genius. He has never made a film I did not enjoy immensely. Memento, The Prestige, and The Dark Knight are all among my absolute favorite films. The fact that it's getting such great reviews only adds fuel to the fire of my anticipation.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I can't wait to see this film! I will be checking it out on Saturday as my first IMAX experience.

8. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I know what you mean. By this time next week I shall have seen it.

9. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw this last night at a press screening.

I voted "Above Average" but it is a hard movie to judge or rate.

All of the individual aspects of it are amazing, the acting, the cinematography, the action scenes, etc... The fact that it is a big original science fiction movie is great.

But something did feel a bit off. I don't quite know how to explain it. You know the saying that "The whole is greater then the sum of the parts"? Well, this film feels a bit like the opposite of that. All the individual parts were great, but the whole was a little less then the sum.

Still I still had to give it a good review, there is just too much going on that is great. Nolan is a master at great action sequences and dramatic visuals.

Maybe it was that since the movie involves dreams and reality you just can't help but expect some of the plot twists that are coming. It's like going into a M. Knight Shyamalan film, you know there will be a twist so you are constantly looking for it or waiting for it.

Anyways, I can't say any more about it with out spoiling things, so I won't.

All I can do is say, yes go see this film, but... don't get your expectations up to high for it. I had high expectations and felt a little let down when it was over and from the audience reaction it seemed that a lot of people felt much the same way. (On the other hand my girlfriend didn't have much expectations for it (she just likes Ellen Page and Leo) and she really, really liked it.)

So see it, just don't expect The Dark Knight level of awesome.

10. Samurai8472

I'm just worried about the separation between the real characters and dream world.

Roger Ebert in his reviews about the Maxtrix always brought up the dividing line between the person in the Matrix and the person outside.

You have the equivalent of a game character who can do almost anything. When you have that, you kind of feel disconnected from the real person outside.

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I already bought my tickets for tonight! Plus, I also have my tickets for Saturday too, in IMAX. Can't wait!

12. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

will def go see it but will wait for a quieter night. looks like it warrants reviewing so maybe i'll se it twice!

13. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Bought my ticket for tomorrow evening.

14. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Surprisingly, I was able to get a ticket for the midnight showing at the local IMAX.

So I saw it. Is it good? Yes. Is it an instant classic? I would have to say... no. I'm not quite sure how to express my reaction to it -- to be honest, I think I was hoping for a bit more of a mindfuck than I got. :rommie: There's some neat ideas, but nothing that seemed really intensely thought-provoking, and (this may seem like an odd complaint) I didn't really have much trouble following the story; I guess I was hoping it would challenge me a bit more than it did.

Nevertheless, I was still able to get into it. It's a great-looking, well-crafted film, as I would expect from Nolan, and the performances were solid (although a couple of the characters were a little flat).

I think Mallet summed it up fairly well: I'll recommend the film, but it's best if you don't go in with your expectations too heightened.

Oh, yeah, and
    judging from the collective groan that came from the crowd at the very end, I think a lot of people realized, as I did, that it was probably going to end on an "is he still dreaming or isn't he?" note -- which frustrated a number of people, I'm sure. :lol:

15. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Nah I think Nolan was just trying to be a bit cheeky there. I am pretty sure it was back to reality.

16. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Oh, I think so too, but a number of audience members sure didn't seem so certain. :D

17. Samurai8472

Ground Shakes

Ariadne- I'm still dreaming!!!
    Cobb- No this is real! It's an earthquake!
    Ariadne- Are you sure?
    Cobb- Yes I'm sure. This isn't an M Night Shamalyan movie.

18. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh. It was "okay".

19. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just saw the movie and I'm still gathering my thoughts. My initial thoughts are that the movie has an excellent concept and some very creative and thought provoking ideas, but the execution isn't quite on par. If I where to grade the movie right now, I would give it a B+.

edited to add: I am glad to see that Tom Hardy is making a comeback. While watching Star Trek: Nemesis I got the impression that he was a good actor who simply wasn't given a good script to work with. I liked his character in Inception.

20. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just out from it.

Wow.
    This is the Christopher Nolan I've been waiting for since 'Memento'. None of his movies, including 'The Dark Knight' have been able to hold together satisfactorily right through to the end credits without falling down in some department. 'Inception' kicks into another gear in the closing 15 minutes, providing an emotional killer punch that was needed to lift it out of being smart but clinical sci-fi and left me satisfied with just a hint of a 'hang on a minute' moment at the end that allows the movie to live on in my mind, not just as memory of a cinematic experience but as a question that only I can answer, if I choose to.
    I thought about half way through it was going to be let down by its clinicalness but the glimpse of the emotional anguish at the heart of the story saved it.
    I can't wait to savour it again, maybe in IMAX next time.