Uniforms

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Captain Kathryn, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Does anyone know if they gave a reason why the uniforms changed in Season 5? Just wondering. :p It seems like there was no reason for it...

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

New uniforms were made for First Contact, so they also got them on DS9.

3. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Did they ever give a reason for any uniform change?

The real world reason is the series had to change to match the new movie uniforms, but in-universe Starfleet seems to change uniforms every few years without ever mentioning why. The exception being the Wrath of Khan uniforms, which they kept for 70-something years.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty much stated. They redesigned the uniforms for First Contact and to maintain continuity they had to switch the DS9 crew over. Which was funny since you'd see the extras in the old uniforms for a number of episodes until they had enough made for them. Heck, the Admirals didn't get new uniforms until season 6.

As for Voyager, they kept the old uniforms since they were separated from the Federation. Though by they were aware of the uniform change by Message in a Bottle and definitely by Pathfinder.

5. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IIRC, there were even extras in TNG uniforms in the finale.

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

They couldn't afford replicator rations to make new uniforms because they needed to take advantage of the incompatible power source to the holodeck.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Perhaps if they hadn't replicated so many shuttles. They might have been able to replicate some new uniforms. ;)

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm actually surprised VOY didn't change uniforms without an explanation.

As for DS9, the new uniforms suited them going into the Dominion War. The Starfleet Attire and Uniform Department has to justify its existence somehow :)

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

They fitted a version of The Doctor's mobile emitter into everyone's combadges and they were all "wearing" holographic uniforms.

:)

10. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I liked the gray uniform. It made Starfleet officers look a little more professional in my opinion, rather than having these bright primary colors that screamed at you on the previous uniforms.

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because First Contact, that's why.

12. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Ah yeah... because of the movie.
    I should have put that together. :guffaw:

It made sense they didn't have new uniforms on VOY because for a few years, they had no contact with Starfleet. When they did eventually contact Starfleet, the people back home had the new uniforms, but the VOY crew kept their old ones.

In the movie "Nemesis", Janeway is shown wearing the new uniform.

I think VOY handled it in the correct way. They could not have possibly known about new uniforms. By the time they did know in Pathfinder, Message in a Bottle, etc, who cares? They were out in the middle of nowhere. :lol:

And Janeway needs the replicators in tip top shape for her coffee~

13. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yet somehow they learned about the new, slimmer hand phasers, long before they made contact with Starfleet...

Pretty much exactly so - 2278 was the earliest confirmed appearance (on the Bozeman crew in "Cause and Effect"), 2348 the last (on Jack Crusher in a holomessage recorded at Wesley's birth in "Family"). Although the uniform did change a bit along the route, and we might say this jacket-plus-pullover style was in use in TOS or Pike's days already - it's just that our heroes only wore the pullovers without the jackets when Starfleet wasn't watching.

Timo Saloniemi

14. R. Star

The TOS movie uniforms were my favorite ones. They actually looked the most like uniforms. And I loved their insignia that weren't an obvious rip off from modern militaries.

15. Third Nacelle

I wonder if it might actually have been longer than that. The TWOK uniforms feature a jacket over a sweater that looks like it might be too hot to wear on a planet in summer. Maybe the uniforms in TMP were a hot-weather version of the TWOK uniforms, similar to summer whites and winter blues in modern navies. The colors of the TMP uniforms and TWOK sweaters match up, for the most part.

16. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Real-world military organizations are changing uniforms around constantly. Always trying to "improve" something. I was issued uniforms at the biginning of my basic training that were pretty-much already "obsolete" less than a year later.

Apparantly Starfleet is no different on this count.

17. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

That is exactly what I thought too. And they look less like "Pajamas".

18. R. Star

My order of preference...

TOS movie uniforms
    TNG movie/late DS9 uniforms
    Early DS9/Voyager uniforms
    TNG uniforms
    TOS uniforms
    TMP uniforms

19. Third Nacelle

My personal favorite was the future uniform from All Good Things, The Visitor, and Endgame.

Late DS9 Uniform
    Late TNG Uniform
    TWOK Uniform
    TOS Uniform
    Early DS9 Uniform
    TMP Uniform
    The Cage Uniform
    Early TNG Uniform

20. R. Star

Knew I forgot one. I'd plug the future uniforms in between the early Ds9/VOY and TNG unifroms.

I did think they had the best looking comm badge of the lot though.