NCC-1701 USS Enterprise Deck by Deck - WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by havoc92, Jan 18, 2010.

1. havoc92

havoc92 Commander Red Shirt

Hi, all! I have been working this for quite a while and was advised that I might wish to post here as well. My updates are primarily posted at the WIP forum on 3dBuzz.com; so, I'll link there.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=175366

This is a top to bottom, deck by deck build of the Enterprise using the Franz Joseph prints primarily. I'm cross-posted on multiple sites at present by request. So, if you don't see updates here, check 3Dbuzz or Scifi-meshes.

My regular update for today should show the amount of work I have in it so far:

So here's what I posted to buzz this morning:

--- begin.

[​IMG]

So, I changed the fore section of the nacelle. Still not totally happy with it; but, happier than before. The nacelle still needs some internal and external work done; but, for the moment, she's done for the rough-in work. Other things needing done will require that the shoring up of the shuttlebay be completed and the port pylon be attached - the which I'm not ready for as yet.

That said, it's time to get back to the Bridge deck. That needs to be completed and the skins for decks 2-4 need redone. Technically, I could leave that for the detail phase; but, we'll see. For the moment, some overall progress pics and a poly count..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--- end

This is done in 3dsMax 5. The intent is to build a high res model suitable to any purpose I may deem fit to use it for in the future and a lower res model fit for export into Oblivion and Unreal engines. My primary testing so far has been in the Thief III version of the unreal engine.

My build is designed around phases as outlined in the thread at 3dbuzz. I decided to do a rough-in pass to ensure the geometry is all correct, followed by a cleanup pass, then a detail pass. I didn't want to be detailing her to the teeth if the decks weren't aligned or measurements were off.

Questions and comments, suggestions all welcome.

Havoc ;)

2. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I like how you're presenting this build.

The one aft view with the shuttle deck door open- we can see the nacelle struts. Is that forward of the shuttle deck bulkhead and the bulkhead hasn't been added yet, or did they protrude into the shuttle shuttle deck?

It is hard to see some of the more detailed images, like the decks under the bridge section...

3. havoc92

Ok, if you look at the FJ plans, the bulkheads for the pylons are relatively small and confined.
    They start, actually, aft of the shuttlebay rear wall. You can see this partially on sheet 5 on the cutaway view. The first of the two bulkheads starts just aft of the inner observation deck section. I had trimmed the pylon cores once; but, made mods to the core itself and simply haven't retrimmed them back to deck 16 yet.

The other decks should all be detailed on the 3dbuzz thread; but, if you wish to see some better or closer views, just let me know. I'd considered duping all my posts to buzz over here if there is enough interest in that. It'd be a lot of work; but, if enough of you are interested, I'll consider it. Might also take some assistance of the mods in deciding how specifically to go about that with the least of grief for all.

For now, here's the latest build update.. duping from buzz again:

Ok, excitement contained.. maybe.

[​IMG]

What happens when you build to plans closely?
    Simple, when you align to center on plan your decks line up.
    And that's what I got. I was worried that more major tweaking to the Bridge would be needed; but, once imported, I set the pivot, rotated it 36 degrees then placed it on center and bing! We have a winner!!!

The turbolift needed some tweaking for alignment; but, other than that, just one minor fix to a wall that spun out of place.

What does that mean? Well, the rough translation is, finish putting the outer walls in place, create an outer skin shroud for the lift and we're pretty much good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(happy dance)

So, as I was hoping, the rough-in of the Bridge will in all likelyhood be done Today. More to come.

4. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whoa. That's awesome.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome indeed!! :) :techman:

6. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

This is very cool.

7. felixofgolden

felixofgolden Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So you're hoping to use it as a basis for a lo poly version for a walkthrough using unreal or what have you? Yeah, there's lots of people who would love that!
    The guys over at stationk7 have done portions of the FJ plans as a mod for Elite Force. Have you seen their work?
    Another game engine you might be able to port to is Unity 3D. It allows for webpage based environments (with their plugin). Kinda like going to a flash page and playing a flash game, instead, you can play a full 3D game/walkthrough. Your work could possibly be used for that.

8. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    "We shall watch your career with great interest." :techman:

9. havoc92

I have K7 in my bookmarks from another heads-up a while back. I've only taken a cursory look at their site, so, I'm not fully aware of what all they have; but, I'm aware of the work.

10. havoc92

Cool. If I look near to courtmarshal at any point, bounce a tribble off my grape, please lol.

11. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

If I had this it could be imported into CAD and it would animate a walk through the ship that could be posted on Youtube.

12. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

^^ no need for CAD, there are apps out there designed specifically for the purpose of taking a 3d mesh and creating such walkthroughs! and in a UI walkabout format, not just video animation!

Welcome aboard!

i'm happy to see you will be updating this one here as well!
    i've been in the background admiring almost since you began your build!!!

13. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I see a toliet.
    hmmm.

14. havoc92

I had thought about some walkthroughs of late. But I hadn't really given any major thought to how to go about it for the time being. I've never done video capture, so it's kinda lost on me for the moment. However, dumping a level or two into Oblivion for some fun has ocurred. That or Thief III.

15. havoc92

Thank you. And, Yeah, I figured a cut and paste from site to site isn't too much work.

;)

16. havoc92

Yes, mary jane. Yes, starships do have toilets lol.

17. havoc92

And my build update that I didn't get done last night... from buzz:

Didn't get a chance to post last night before passing out; so, here are last night's final updates:

[​IMG]

.. ok, this is showing the final placement of the outer support struts and beginning fixup of the inner wall. You'll note the shroud for the turbolift in progress aft.

[​IMG]

Here, the inner walls are all in place.

[​IMG]

.. and now the outer walls and shroud are completed

[​IMG]

.. better view on the lift shroud.

[​IMG]

.. and a profile shot sitting atop decks 2, 3 and 4.

The shroud is not yet capped. There is some work that will be done later in detailing that I'd prefer it uncapped for. So, for now, that's it. I'm working now on the hull skins for decks 2-4.

[​IMG]

.. don't look bad just for image snapping; but, they're off now with the updates to the upper decks.

[​IMG]

the red areas are of particular interest and show that there's definitely some shoring up to do. I'm doing some scaling work now to see if simple scaling of the edges on y will fix most of it. Going well so far; but, we'll see.

18. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

The Bridge Commander network could use your modeling tallents sir. This could change games like Elite Forces to as a whole new map.

19. Mistreaper

Mistreaper Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would love to see that, looks great.

20. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Good googly moogly! :eek: