Neo Geo X

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kelthaz, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone remember that insanely overpriced Neo Geo console ($650 in 1990. Ouch!) that we all ignored in favour of the SNES or Genesis (or TG-16 for a few of us)? Well, now it's being released in portable form at a much more reasonable price point of only very expensive. The Neo Geo X is a portable version of the Neo Geo that comes with 20 pre-packaged games (a few great games and some stinkers) for $130. There is a package for $200 that comes with a docking station (almost identical to the Neo Geo AES console for nostalgic purposes) that allows you to hook the portable up to your HDTV and a replica of the AES joystick for an almost authentic experience.

I'm going to wait and see how the system does before I buy one, but this is very interesting. You can play the great SNK classics on the go or hook it up at home for some multiplayer King of Fighters action. For $200, or $10 a game, that's not a bad price.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/26/neo-geo-x-hands-on/

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I am actually very tempted to get this. The fact that it comes with 20 games makes it almost a no-brainer for me. Can't even remember how many quarters I threw into Neo Geo games when I was a kid.

3. Kelthaz

I want more information on future releases before I buy one. How much will they cost and how often will they trickle out?

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

So an insanely overpriced version of the 1999-2001 Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo Pocket Colour sold in Europe?

5. Kelthaz

Oh no, this isn't the Neo Geo Pocket. This is the full blown arcade cabinet/console released in portable form similar to Sega's Nomad (but hopefully much, much better). Although I wouldn't say no to a backlit NGPC model ...

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Nice, those sort of conversions can be iffy though. And I wouldn't really go by Sega, they have one of the poorer records for this sort of thing.

Software conversion is fine, they make good ports to home consoles, but not hardware modification. Still have nightmares of that Japanese "portable Megadrive", ugh.