So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I've been on the same chapter of Stephen Baxter's Manifold: Origin for like a week and a half. My students this year have been... a unique challenge, I'll say that much.

Hoping to get a bunch of reading done over the holidays. Phew. At least I got a night in to read Poisoned Chalice!

2. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

Just finished Paths of disharmony and I'm still reeling from the ending of that book. I want to get through the Typhoon pact series so that I can start on The fall. So I'll be starting The struggle within next.

3. Slyvon

Slyvon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Took a break from Trek to read the political book Double Down about the 2012 Presidential elections. Same pair of guys that did Game Change a few years ago which got turned into an HBO movie.

As I thought however, Fearful Symmetry couldn't hold my interest. To many Kiras running around. So I'm going to jump into the books that I've been itching to get to for awhile, the Terok Nor trilogy. This will be my last DS9 books before starting TNG wing of novels.

4. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well latest book has been completed, "Distant Early Warning" by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore.

I wasn't that sure what to expect as I hadn't read any Vanguard or SCE books prior to it but it was an enjoyable experience.

Review is up here for anyone who is interested in my deeper thoughts.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Read all three Hunger Games novels over the weekend. Hunger Games is outstanding. Catching Fire is really good, and then Mockingjay is just kind of mediocre. I think that the upcoming movies might actually eclipse the book (no Twilight pun intended). I know this was primarily aimed at teenage girls, but I thought I was going to explode if I had to read the word "kissing" one more time.

I've been rotating through three books during my reading time in morning.

Dune by Frank Herbert (reread)
    Burning Paradise by Robert Charles Wilson - already really entertaining right off the bat
    The Terror by Dan Simmons - finally picking up in the second act. way too much discussion of climbing equipment

6. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finally just finished reading "Chainmail" by Diane Carey (2001, Gateways #2) and previously read "Evil in Modern Thought: An Alternative History of Philosophy" by Susan Neiman (2002) and "I See Satan Fall Like Lightning" by Rene Girard (translated by James G. Williams, 1999, 2001). They worked well together. Also reading more Plato (moving to the most dubious works which are by imitators).

"Chainmail" has a difficult start then gets plain silly then develops an interesting metaphor and also interesting approaches to technology. It could be like combining Piers Anthony's "Mode" Series with Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" (well maybe).

The rest of my Gateways volumes are now hardcopy books. Got 20 ST books read this year so far. At least four more to go in order to tread water.

7. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I really like The Terok Nor trilogy, lot of good intrigue.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Read the (sob!) final issue of FEARLESS DEFENDERS last night. A shame Marvel cancelled that. As a lifelong DEFENDERS fan, I was really enjoying it.

Strange but true: Go prowling through the letter columns in eighties-era DEFENDER comics and you'll find several printed letters from a "Greg Cox" in Washington state. :)

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reading Grimm: The Icy Touch.

10. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of Deep Space Nine: Section 31: Abyss by David Weddle and Jeffrey Lang.

I recently finished Apocalypse for Beginners by Nicolas Dickner. I really enjoyed that one!

Right now I'm reading Mission Gamma, Book 2: This Gray Spirit by Heather Jarman.

11. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently finished Ex-Communication by Peter Clines.

12. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm finishing up the Gateways series with the TNG installment.

13. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't realize they were publishing Grimm novels. I'll be picking it up. And I see a second one is coming out in February. Thanks for the tip.

14. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I'm waiting for Dayton Ward's Peaceable Kingdoms to arrive and have decided to re-read KRAD's TLE story, The Art of The Impossible, in the interim. Absoultely love this book! Been awhile since i've read it. :klingon:

15. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

Plagues of night.

16. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I seem to have missed most of the Trek "A time to" series so I'm currently catching up with those.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Finished Vanguard: Open Secrets, but I've decided to put that series aside for now so that I can catch up on The Fall. Just started The Crimson Shadow earlier tonight.

18. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just started reading From History's Shadow so can't really judge it, except to say it seems as good as a typical Dayton Ward book but I've decided the cover is my favorite Star Trek book cover for this year.

19. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

MWB's Burning Dreams. Good book that depicts Pike's life on Talos IV with Vina. A lot of flashback stuff too capturing their early lives. Can be slow at parts but is a nice read overall.

20. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

A few days ago I finished Royal Pains: Sick Rich by D.P. Lyle. The author pretty much nailed the characterizations in this and the previous book. The author is also a doctor, so I assume that the medical jargon makes sense, but since I'm not a doctor I can't be sure. Unlike the previous novel, this one doesn't seem to have much of a plot. It's mostly just Hank treating a variety of patients, with a few things vaguely resembling an A story and a B story, but they don't really play a large part until the last half. That said, I did kind of enjoy it if only because I got to spend a little time with the characters, but I think the first novel is better.

I then read "The White Ship" by H.P. Lovecraft.

I followed that up with the Star Trek: New Frontier comic, Turnaround.

I'm now reading Star Trek: New Frontier: Treason by Peter David.