Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by stonester1, Jul 12, 2008.

1. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

I've got to be one of the few fans who actually isn't bothered that much by this movie. Is it great? No. Is it watchable and relatively enjoyable? I think so. It certainly not unwatchable like that flying turd of a movie called Nemesis.

The line about losing the brother while poignant, was poorly chosen, and this:

is something that really bugs me because they had just dropped that broad off. They were in the neighborhood and I really don't buy the old cliché, "The Enterprise was the only ship in tha area" despite what Admiral Bennett says about needing Kirk's experience on this mission. The Enterprise was orbiting Earth for God's sake... that's sector 001. Were we honestly supposed to believe that the only qualified Captain in Sector 001 was Kirk? God help the Federation if that was true. The Klingons should have taken over the Federation years ago if that were true.

Other than that, it's watchable and kind of fun.

-Shawn :borg:

2. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the cinema, I was underwhelmed.

That said, its probably one of my favourite movies. Ignoring the somewhat nonsensical plot the characters of Kirk, Spock and McCoy have never felt more alive in the films.

Dodgy FX spoil things a little bit, but its still very, very watchable.

:techman:

3. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank God I'm not the only one who thought those
    same exact words.

4. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the segment about McCoy's pain, a very poignant performance by De Kelley.

There were some definite cringe moments, though. Several already mentioned, plus:

Kirk's "Oh, please" at Bennett's ass-kissing. It seemed really self-indulgent by Shatner to have that bit in there. He became Bill to me at that point, not Jim.

The exploding PADD. Those things are off-the-shelf. Just because the Big E's systems aren't fully integrated doesn't mean the PADDs should be blowing up. And they have springs in them?!?

Though I liked the jail-break, it seemed like Jimmy over-played the line to me, or he ran out of breath in the middle of it, or something.

The sexual innuendo between Uhura and Scotty in sickbay.. barf.

I still enjoy watching it, though. As mentioned by jon1701, when they were "on", the characters seemed more "alive" in this film.

5. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

oh good. Another one of these threads. Is it that time of the month already?

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I really loathe the movie. A few lines make me laugh and think, "what the hell were the idiots responsible for this mess thinking?"

One detail really bugged me... Sarek was married to a Vulcan PRINCESS?! Since when did they have royalty on Vulcan? :vulcan:

7. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had the same reaction when I watched the film again about a year ago. This film is BAD! Not bad by Star Trek standards bad, but bad by Filipino action movie standards! I always remembered 3 as the worst of the bunch, but I can't possibly believe it could be worse than this film. Some things that bothered me:

Why does a race as advanced as the Vulcans choose not to have their babies in modern, clean, sterile hospitals, but on stone slabs, outdoors in the middle of nowhere?

How does a man as smart as Sarek not realize that there is something called genetics that influences your children? If you knock up a human, chances are your kid will be half human. Why does Sarek choose to knock up a human if he doesn't want a baby with any human in it? What is it about a newborn baby that isn't Vulcan enough for Sarek? Why does Sarek keep marrying these human bitches if he doesn't like humans?

Everyone has a secret pain. Really? In the 23rd century with all the evolving humans have done every single one of them is still carrying around a hidden pain? And just one hidden pain? And all you have to do is re-live that pain and you have no more pain? But in exchange it does make you a mindless zombie who blindly follows a madman? It doesn't actually seem like getting rid of your pain is a good thing.

So what is actually so special about Sha Ka Ree and the dude that lives there that Sybok is sure that this the home of God? Is the being in contact with Sybok? So he can communicate with someone half way across the galaxy, but he can't get off the planet without a ship? Isn't much of a "God" either if he can be taken out with one shot.

I am not sure I can picture a Commander in Afghanistan looking at an al-Qaeda base wondering how to best attack and thinking "I know, a distraction. I'll get one of the chicks from the engineering corp to get naked and writhe around. She won't mind."

Even in a warrior culture like the Klingons are individual ship captains really allowed to attack anybody they want even if it mean inter-galactic war?

8. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Answer.

9. Brian

I always took it to be the baby's crying that he was responding to. It certainly looked Vulcan.

Of course, if that's the case, then you have to ask why the writers forgot that the Vulcan suppression of emotion is trained, not bred.

10. A beaker full of death

He was probably a little thrown by the red blood.

11. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

He might've been.

12. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I didn't like this movie.

13. A beaker full of death

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

But that's not what the line means. Spock has been more of a brother than Kirk's long-deceased real brother. That doesn't mean Kirk doesn't consider Sam to have been his brother, though.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Maybe Vulcan mothers mindmeld with their babies in the womb and that connection permits a cry-free birth?

16. Brian

Nice retcon! :bolian:

17. Josh_Lyman

Josh_Lyman Commander Red Shirt

I liked TTF but I would not go out of my way to watch it.

18. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

I like the movie, it wasn't a great one, not a bad one, but I give it a c.

However, Sybok was not being human. he was being more like a Romulan. or maybe a renegade Vulcan who fully embraced his emotions.

19. Josh_Lyman

Josh_Lyman Commander Red Shirt

That was the point.

20. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

What i love about this film is that it does seem to be the closet to a actual TOS episode in terms of character interaction.....anyway i love it also...one thing i can say about all the trek movies is that they are at least all very watchable for that 90mins plus that your in the mood for a Trek movie.....not bad for movies i have seen i don't know how many times.