Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Janitor, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Robert Duncan McNeil doublebooked for EMS in October. Most likely he'll be in Orlando. Now, let's see how long Joiner tries to keep this little charade going.

2. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

over 9000 tickets sold, AB. Not quite the 30,000 the Star Wars one 5 years ago sold, but I doubt they are complaining.

3. Admiral Bear

Says who?

4. Rarewolf

Jason, in the Sunday thread.

5. Admiral Bear

:rofl:

I thought you had more between your ears. He's a compulsive liar. He lies about almost everything. It's been proven time after time after time.

Besides, even the most basic of logical thought processes should take you to the conclusion that if there was any truth in what the deranged boy was spouting, then he's massively oversold the Saturday to the point where he can't possibly hope to provide what he's advertised to the number of people wanting it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  6. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I'll probably be in London in October, but who knows if I'll go....not much money left for trivialities..... :(

7. nacelle

nacelle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just got back from vegas so having a catch up.
    9000 tickets sold my ass!!! Me thinks he's added a zero or two on the actual figure. There's no more than 4 or 5 thousand people a day at the vegas con and thats a huge convention. There's was 4 and a half thousand people at the 2001 voyager blackpool convention on the sunday.
    I don't believe 9000 for a second.
    Talk ticket price is unreal. Its made creation look cheap! I hope they don't get any ideas!
    Vegas has pretty much wiped me out so unless i win the lottery in the next couple of months i won't be going.

8. Admiral Bear

Jason Joiner, the Usain Bolt of bullshit. Mind you, when Trading Standards catch up with him, he'll need to run as fast as Bolt.

9. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

First of all, don't do this:

This is very close to calling someone else dumb which constitutes flaming and is against the board rules. Please, don't do it again.

Secondly, while I agree that announcements elsewhere, such as on a board, may be relevant to the event in question, discussing the goings-on of another board is not. It's been pointed out before in this thread so please stop doing, y'all. Thanks.

10. AxelFoley

AxelFoley Commander Red Shirt

You mean you were still playing with the idea of attending this event after all the posts/rants about Joiner and the show, not to mention your signature?

That's... Illogical.

11. Admiral Bear

Not really. I have a lot of things I need Patrick to sign for cast completion, but while he's not getting any younger, he can wait. Besides, I'm not willing to pay these "official" event prices when I can get him cheaper some other time.

Plus £29 just to get in the door and then be entitled to nothing without stumping up loads more cash, is extortion.

12. Admiral Bear

For the few of you still interested, I think the term convention apartheid has just been coined by Media 10.

http://www.startreklondon.com/news-altopening

Hmm, since we can't shift the opening ceremony tickets at £95 each, let's make the paupers feel even worse by separating them from the rich/stupid package people, and give them some free gruel to keep them happy and to stop them all going home by 5pm.

Nasty.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  13. Rarewolf

I was talking to a few of the crew at Lords Of Time (about 220 attendees AB, not many for one of their events all in all) and basically the figures are so high for ST:L because there's been a lot of foreign interest, mainly Germans.

I guess its easier to just pop over the pond than head stateside.

The organaisers are pretty much pulling in anyone with previous crewing experience as they can, they expect to be busy.

14. Admiral Bear

From experience, I don't discount the foreign interest, but I also don't discount the fact that Shamasters crew have been told what say to anyone that asks. How do most of the 18 yr old kids that SM get to crew know that unless they've all been told it?

When Creation came here and couldn't make a profit because the numbers were so low, where were the Germans then? I know the Germans have Fedcon every year which gets a good quality line up and good attendance, so there's clearly more interest in Trek cons in Germany that in the UK, but I still don't know any experienced Trek con attendees who believe Joiner's sold 10500 tickets. By that reckoning, 3/4s of tickets sold will probably have gone to Germans/mainland Europeans. But then experienced Fedcon attendees should also recognise when they're being ripped off.

A lot of UK fans will have blindly thrown their money at this event, but there still aren't enough of them plus the Germans to make up the figure that Joiner's boasting of. And remember, he's as good as admitted that he can't sell tickets for the Sunday.

And a week ago, Joiner, in a blatant attempt to try and stop people going to DSTL on the Friday, and getting them to go on Sunday instead, posted that all the Patrick Stewart photo ops for Friday had sold out. A week later, the DSTL site is still saying Stewart photo ops for Friday are still available, so either the website is illegal and Media 10 needs to be crushed by Trading Standards, or Joiner's a lying sack of shit, which we all know he is anyway. I'm certainly not paying £29 just to find out if there actually are still Stewart photo ops on sale for Friday. It's quite amazing that the tiny number of people talking about DSTL online haven't picked up on this. Where exactly are all the 10500 people who've bought tickets for this event? They're not talking about it on any of the major forums that's for sure. This thread is partial testament to that. The Shamasters DSTL thread has been dead for months apart from the same morons posting "yay! 3 months to, better order my costume!" crap, along with the utterly fatuous postings of people like Bedwell, Sindel and Dwarfbabe who've clearly been left to hold the fort as Joiner's made it clear he's got nothing to say to anyone asking legit questions, and the official Facebook page has been gathering dust since it was set up.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  15. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about when I wrote this reminder at the end of August:

For the last time, don't drag conflicts or misgivings from other boards over into this one. It isn't that hard.

16. Rarewolf

I can't see the point in lying about it. After all figures that high might disuade more than persuade.

I actually heard crew talking to each other (one crewing for the who event, one as a punter), so I doubt its a sort of cover story.

It was only later the topic came up with a friend of a friend who was crewing.

And of the Who event, I doubt even 10% (22!) posted in the forum.

Given how many other organisers have had Sir Patrick in the UK over the past 10 years (any?) You are the one risking missing out. There will never be a cheaper time.

17. Keptin J D Reed

Keptin J D Reed Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That's because there's an unofficial Facebook page with over 500 members that was started before the official one, and everyone just stayed on there. Lots of very excited people posting every few minutes on there.

I know 500 is only 5% of the reported total sold so far, but it's still pretty good. I'm a pompey fan (what did I do in a past life to deserve that aye :)) and you'll get 10,000-15,000 going to any given match but there's only a few 100 people using the various pompey forums, if that.

Cue a joke about that being because the average pompey fan can't afford, or doesn't know how to use a computer :D

I'm going to DSTL. I couldn't not go. I'll never be able to afford to go to a con in the states, and this is probably the only chance I'll ever get to meet Shatner, Stewart, Koenig as they probably won't be around for too many more years. Not on the con circuit anyway. I'll report back on how I get on :)

18. nacelle

nacelle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just saw an ad for the event while watching voyager on cbs action Apparently they are an official partner of the event:

http://www.cbsaction.co.uk/articles.php?feature=271

Apart from the extortionate prices it looks like the event might not be as bad as i first thought, except for shamasters running it with their crew. Other than the captains the rest of the talks are free.
    All the guests have been announced now though.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well I don't think it was as high as 4 500, more like 3 500 which I think is as many as the hotel could hold under regulations. Even if you take the 4 500 figure for the Voyager: The Return Convention in Blackpool (which I attended), 9 000 seems plausable for an event being held in London. While Blackpool isn't out of the way, London has a higher population, is easier to get to from the continent, It's easier to get London than to Blackpool for a lot of people in the UK.

20. Admiral Bear

You mean all the mythical free talks which neither Media 10 or Showmasters will give anyone information on? They sound much like the stunt shows which no one has been told anything about, the entrance to which were sold as a benefit of the silver and gold packages, yet there have been no tickets put on sale for them. Now, if the entrance is free, why have silver and gold ticket holders been made to pay for it? That's assuming of course there actually are stunt shows.

And as for 5 Captains, all I'm hearing is people making comments about it soon being 4.

Most people who "know" Shamasters are just seeing this event as Star Trek Klepto. Just a load of autograph queues and little else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.