Grace Whitney (Rand) and Gates McFadden (Crusher) mistreated?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Dream, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I heard how Grace Whitney was treated horribly behind the scenes in TOS and so was Gates McFadden in TNG. Is there any truth to this?

Both actresses ended up fired from their shows in the first season, but fan support brought back Rand for (minor roles in) TOS movies and Dr Crusher for the third season of TNG and beyond.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't think fans had anything to do with McFadden coming back, it had more to do with Diana Muldaur and Maurice Hurley leaving the show and them not wanting to break in a third doctor character.

3. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

McFadden wasn't badly treated. One of the producers - Hurley - fancied her and when she rebuffed him he was...well, not very nice and eventually convinced Gene Roddenberry they needed a new doctor and McFadden should go. Berman was not happy with the decision, but Roddenberry overruled.

Fast forward a year: Hurley's on his way out, Roddenberry has very much taken a back seat, and Berman has the chance to either bring a third doctor in three years in, or ask McFadden to come back.

I understand that Berman got on well with McFadden and so the answer was an obvious one.

4. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

IIRC, Gates McFadden took maternity leave. The in-universe story was that Dr. Crusher took over ST Medical. I always liked Pulaski better than Crusher. She was a good foil for Picard and, IMO, made the show much more interesting. From what I remember, the Pulaski character was never meant to be permanent, hence her ultimate sacrifice at the end of season 2.

5. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Yo remember wrong, the real explanation is above your post.

6. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sources? Links? or just rude responses?

7. BillJ

I didn't think she was pregnant until season four?

EDIT: Here's the Memory Alpha page...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gates_McFadden

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Common knowledge? :shrug:

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Different degrees.

I heard Grace Whitney was raped by someone involved in the production of TOS and which lead to her substance abuse. I think somebody on the forum once suggested it might have been GR himself.

10. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

lol this.

11. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

McFadden was pregnant during Season 4, not Season 2.

Ultimate sacrifice? Did I miss the part where Pulaski died to save the crew or something? :lol:

12. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah Gates started wearing the doctor's jacket to help hide her bump in season 4 - she wasn't pregnant when she left the first time. Pulaski was fun but I'd have been happier if Crusher had stayed and Pulaski had been brought in as a scientist or chief engineer.

Grace wasn't treated terribly well either and I think her departure was a result of a combination of events including a behind the scenes sexual assault (I'm pretty sure it wasn't GR but she remained tight-lipped about the identity as far as I'm aware) and health issues she was having from drinking too much and taking diet pills. The character would have made a decent recurring guest star but as the principle female lead they piled too much into the early scripts about her and Kirk's mutual attraction so it didn't give them enough wriggle room when it came to his romancing the female alien of the week.

It's more disappointing that she and Majel weren't given more to do in the later movies, which ties directly into them being left out of the recent reboot.

13. BillJ

Well, Majel was the computer voice and Nurse Chapel is mentioned but not seen.

14. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I provided as much sources and links as you did. But if you insist, Gates McFadden's only child was born in 1991, unless she had a three year pregnancy and decided to take her maternity leave a little early she wasn't pregnant during season 2.
    Now it's your turn, provide a source that Pulaski wasn't meant to be a permanent character and please explain her ultimate sacrifice, I must have missed that.

That wasn't rude.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Diana Muldaur had intended to be retired from acting when Roddenberry persisted that she join the show. She did it as a favour but would not commit to a five-year contract, hence her "Special Appearance by..." credit.

When Season Three was approaching, she requested a leave of absence - the first three episodes of the season - to film "The Return of McCloud" reunion telemovie, but the ST production team was unimpressed. She wasn't under the same contract as the others, so they couldn't prevent her doing it. They decided to let her go completely and recast the CMO.

Rather than create a third CMO, Rick Berman thought that bringing McFadden back would not only right a terrible wrong, it also responded positively to the sizable fan campaign to get her back.

Once Muldaur's telemovie was over, she was offered an ongoing role in "L.A. Law" - as Rosalind Shay - on the strength of her work as Pulaski.

It was Rosalind Shay who died in an accidental fall down a turboshaft, not Pulaski. ;)

16. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

The cast also wanted McFadden back iirc, especially Stewart.

17. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Have a look at the Rick Berman interview here:
    http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/rick-berman