What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

In that case, have fun!:lol:

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm currently reading All Hell Let Loose, a history of WW2 by Max Hastings.

3. Lumi

Lumi Captain Captain

Joy Redefined: Loving You by Joyce Meyer. Started it last night and I'm sure I'll finish this morning.

Very short and simple. But hey, I don't have time for much reading these days.

4. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

Currently reading Ilustrado by Miguel Syjuco. It's a interesting look at Filipino culture (particularly the diaspora), something I know next to nothing about.

5. Snowlilly

Snowlilly Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have been wondering how those books are. I have not read them but watched a few of the episodes. I take it the books are better than the show?

6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

It took me a year, but I finally finished The Power Broker. Reading Theodore Rex now.

7. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I read the first on recommendation from a friend. It was fairly entertaining, and she is a huge fan (her sentiment is that the show is absolutely horrible, I've never seen it myself). When I read it I laughed hysterically through the climax, however, because it could easily be read as a lot of euphemisms for sex -- things like feeling all the tension in his muscles build until they shook, and it was finally released through his staff, but like, three pages of more and more ridiculous double entendre -- and apparently I can be about as mature as a twelve year old boy when I come across this kind of thing. I actually had tears I was laughing so hard. I started the second book but couldn't really get into it.

8. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

I visited the Sherlock Holmes museum in London earlier this week, so I'm on a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle kick. The Red-Headed League makes me laugh every time I read it.

I'm also reading The Sticklepath Strangler by Michael Jecks. Jecks has written a series of medieval murder mysteries set in the English county of Devon, where I live. If you enjoy Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books you'll probably enjoy Jeck's books.

9. ngc7293

ngc7293 Commander Red Shirt

Currently reading (on my iPad) Star Trek: Titan #3 Orion's Hounds
    I will read other Titan books or other Trek books until October when a certain Mercedes Lackey book comes out Book 4 of the Collegium Chronicles series.
    After that, I might read another Mercedes Lackey, Valdamar series (I have read most of them)

10. Snowlilly

Snowlilly Lieutenant Red Shirt

Oh wow, I love Cadfael. I will definitely have to add those books to my list. Sounds like something right up my alley! Thanks!

PS. I like your blog :)

11. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoy them. They delve a lot more deeply into Harry's psyche, of course.

There were also a number of changes made for the TV show. In the books, Bob is a spirit - he has no body. That's not to disrespect Terrence Mann's performance - I thought he was wonderful - but Bob is different, as is Murphy, and there are a lot of other supporting characters whom we never saw on the show, and a very well-drawn history of the characters and the world they inhabit.

12. Mary Ann

Thank you. :)

Historical crime and mystery books are my favourite fiction genre. I love Susannah Gregory's books, too, which are set in Tudor times.

13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Speaking of crime authors, Patricia Cornwell writes some good books both fiction and true life. Her 2002 book on who she thinks was really Jack the Ripper(late 19th and early 20th century British artist Walter Sickert) is an amazing and engrossing read even if you don't necessarily buy her theory on the Ripper's actual identity.

14. Mary Ann

I must admit that I'm not much of a Cornell fan. I prefer Kathy Reichs, but that's just my personal taste.

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I just finished The Robber Hotzenplotz, which is a German children's book from about fifty years back (and was a gift from a friend in Germany) and am now back to an anthology by Howard Waldrop, who is an obscure-but-unique SF writer (who was recommended to me by Australis).

16. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Just Kids next.

17. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Craig Johnson's As the Crow Flies, the most recent book in the Walt Longmire mystery series. Yes, the ones the new A&E show is based on. I enjoyed the first few books, but by now I'm bored.

18. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

trying to read James Joyces's Ullyses. An admittedly slow slog, I confess I'm beginning to suspect that a) my lit degree isn't worth crap, or b) betwixt the two of us, one of us has a personality disorder. should have started w/ Dubliners, I know. I don't even remember Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man.

19. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

Emory's Gift by W. Bruce Cameron.

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'm thinking of rereading part of the Warren Commission Report. All the recent Kennedy assassination documentaries I've been watching lately have me interested in going back to parts of the original Warren Report.