NCIS: New Orleans Season One Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lucky, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

The new series, starring Scott Bakula, premieres tonight a 9/8c on CBS. Who's going to to be watching? You can count me in.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It's not scheduled in the U.K. yet, but I'll watch.

I've only recently started getting into the NCIS franchise...

3. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I probably will for what it's worth.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'll check it out for Bakula, but it needs to be impressive to get me to stick around. Not interested in a CSI-procedural.

5. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Yea, but almost anything would be better than CSI these days. That show pretty much made me not give a damn about it due to how it treated the Gil/Sara relationship. Was a fan of it (CSI) from the start, and now I don't even bother to watch it. Any show that treats the characters like crap, doesn't deserve to be watched.

6. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

We are certainly going to be watching but it'll be PVR'd and we'll be playing catch up.

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Will be watching this. I normally don't really like watching procedurals much, but maybe New Orleans will give it an interesting flavour. I'm intrigued enough to see what they do with the setting.

8. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

The NCIS shows aren't really that much like CSI; they're more lighthearted, have more action and not quite as gory, dark and depressing (Although the Mark Harmon character does have a tragic backstory). Plus with a few exceptions (mainly the female leads) the core cast has largely remained the same, unlike CSI which has lost most of the original cast in the last five years.

CSI has indeed run out of steam, I like Danson and Shue but they're characters are sort of badly written. Danson's mainly just Grissom 2.0 (after Fishburne's Dexter-lite lead character didn't really work) and Shue's character seems kind of irresponsible. Plus they're doing the whole will-they or won't they thing again. Groan.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Plus they have scenes like this:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ[/yt]

Man, that's painful.

10. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Didn't that work for Bones? (sorry haven't watched in a while but that dynamic was always there) edit: responded to "groan"

Might tape it for Bakula but it could be quite rote.

11. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Being a New Orleans resident, I have to tune in just for curiosities sake. Seen them around filming occasionally.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to run with this one. Love vanilla, but LA never did much for me. One thing this one has going for it, though, is an awesome cast top to bottom.

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ive really enjoyed the show. Ive never watched NCIS in my life. I tuned in mostly for just bakula.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Ugh, my main problem with the show is the office they work out of. Where the hell is everyone else in the division? Why are they in an open air building with lots of comfy chairs, a kitchen, and a bedroom for Bakula?? It's silly.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

NCIS ceased being a realistic organization in the TV franchise a long time ago. Frankly if the producers could drop the whole Navy angle without anyone noticing, I think they would.

16. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I loved the premiere! I was glad the case was so personal for Bakula, he did great work as Pride in this episode. The chemistry among the cast is strong. I also like that they've set Steven Weber up as being a recurring antagonist for Pride.

17. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

18. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really enjoyed the show last night, as my first NCIS experience. I may have to check out the other shows now. Bakula's sidekick, forget his name, but he reminded me so much in look and voice of Rodney Carrington. I knew it wasn't him though.

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I took it to be something similar to living arrangements for Firefighters. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the office is supposed to take place in an old firehouse.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It feels like they're pushing the New Orleans setting too strongly. The office is a cliche of bayou living. There are office buildings in the town after all with desks, cubicles, and air conditioning.