Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old May 3 2014, 01:06 PM   #196
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Things you DON'T want to see in a reboot...

Fan productions are largely filmed versions of fanfic. These folks want to play in that favourite sandbox and perpetuate the things they like. Fans having been doing that in varying ways since Trek began and they can't and shouldn't be faulted for it even if one doesn't find it appealing.

In extent few fans are going to venture far beyond their comfort zone. They will largely emulate what they liked. Fan lit and fan art forums have long been examples of that and the fan film productions are extensions of that.

That isn't to say that fans don't have some genuinely interesting ideas, but most aren't in a position to have them realized or even mightn't have the nerve or confidence to go beyond their comfort zone. Most of those who embark on trying to be creative experience much the same thing: your earliest efforts are often amateurish and you lean heavily on what you know and have liked. It's later, assuming your confidence and proficiency builds, that you learn to build more on your own ideas.

I don't think fan films or fanfic are a good indicator of what fans think should be seen in a new "official" Trek, but they could be seen as a reflection of things they've liked from before.

Any new Trek project is going to face a minefield of wildly divergent hopes and expectations made even more complicated by the different forms of Trek we've already gotten. I would hazard most fans don't see too far beyond what they're familiar with and are dubious of anything seeming too far afield of the familiar. But that isn't to say most wouldn't embrace something new if it was executed in just the right way.

Before Star Trek there was little like it out there except for a couple of anthology series and a few now classic SF films. How many SF fans then were really expecting or envisioning that a series like Star Trek could come into existence given what else was out there at the time? I strongly suspect that if they had been asked what kind of series they would like to see made many fans wouldn't have strayed too far afield from what they were already familiar with.
Old May 7 2014, 03:01 AM   #197
IndyTechTrekkie
Cadet

Wow guys from most of the responses I've read I'd say...

Star Trek is not wanted in a reboot.

Here is what I don't want to see:

the stupid prequel thing that has been done to death!

(for the record, I liked Enterprise, but I feel that treks trying to "go back to the begining" are doomed for failure.)

I think a new series needs to take place shortly after voyager ended, and I wouldnt mind to see things that have happened since that series.

Are the Borg still a threat?

is cardassia in shambles still?

How are the Klingons?

I just want to get back to trek and try to leave the whole time travel thing alone.
IndyTechTrekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 04:16 AM   #198
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

IndyTechTrekkie wrote: View Post

I think a new series needs to take place shortly after voyager ended, and I wouldnt mind to see things that have happened since that series.

How are the Klingons?

I just want to get back to trek and try to leave the whole time travel thing alone.
These are all thing I definitely don't want to see. I want Star Trek to be fun again.
Old May 7 2014, 10:45 AM   #199
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
IndyTechTrekkie wrote: View Post

How are the Klingons?

These are all thing I definitely don't want to see. I want Star Trek to be fun again.
So if the next film wonders if the Romulans are still a threat, if New Vulcan is in shambles, and how the Klingons are, it won't be fun?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 01:42 PM   #200
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
*A complete loss of morals and optimism
"Edgy" and "Dark" is big right now, but I don't want to see Star Trek go Dark Knight on us. I think that Star Trek fundamentally is about people trying to do the right thing, and I'd like to see that continue. I'd hate to see an overly cynical Star Trek.
This sort of thing is exactly what drove me away from broadcast TV for good three years ago to the point that the only current shows I watch are (the recently ended) Clone Wars and The (nine years out of date) Simpsons, and both of those through DVD.

The existence of this comment tells me I'm still not missing anything. The misanthropic "anti heroes" are still alive and well on TV.

In short, I agree. I don't want a Star Trek show with characters like that either.

Last edited by RandyS; May 7 2014 at 11:26 PM.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 06:53 PM   #201
Spider
Dirty Old Man

I don't want time travel, Ferengi, or technobabble in any new Star Trek of any kind.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 11:29 PM   #202
Warped9
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I want Star Trek to be fun again.
Please define "fun." What is enjoyable and entertaining can vary greatly from one individual to the next.

Someone might find a series or film "too cerebral" and with too much exposition while someone else finds that stimulating. One person likes lots of action and noise and really couldn't care less about a credible plot and coherence while the next person would find that to be mindnumbingly stupid and a waste of time.
Old May 7 2014, 11:30 PM   #203
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

And most things people find lame about TNG or whatever are actually in the new films as well, just in another style. But on paper they are the same things.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote