"After Earth" - Trailer (M. Night Shyamalan, Will & Jayden Smith)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Dec 10, 2012.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That would be pretty funny, actually.

I wasn't all that impressed by the Oblivion trailer but I definitely see the similarities between the two movies.

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I really liked the trailer and I do like Will Smith so I am cautiously optimistic.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks like it could be pretty cool, although I found the Oblivion trailer a lot more interesting.

4. Looks visually stunning at least. Probably a smart move not advertising Night. Last time I saw his name flash onscreen in a trailer, it elicited groans and laughter.

Will Smith's genre choice roles do tend to be fairly good though (I particularly like I, Robot, Hancock, and I am Legend, though all 3 are flawed I found them all very interesting).

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like this will be one of the blockbusters The Asylum is aping this year. Their title will be "Alpha Earth" starring... Adrian Paul and Richard Greico?

6. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

1964: Dr. Strangelove vs. Fail-Safe!

7. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

The early Rotten Tomatoes reviews are mostly negative. They don't sound as bad as they were for his last few films, but my hopes that this would be Shyamalan's come back are evaporating.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Im going to go see it. I try to gauge critical reaction, but I don't use them in what movies I want to see.

Edit: Wow, though for the audience at large, the 15 out of 18 bad review start can't be a good sign..

RAMA

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the twist was they are not on Earth of the future but on Earth of the distant past.

10. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it is a, "blockbuster," it will knock Trek out of the ballgame and done in the US domestically.

On topic Good or bad - Smith's odd accent I'm not getting and its distracting.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm usually pretty good at divorcing personal stuff like this but part of me doesn't want to see this just to not support Will's twerp.

12. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

the twist

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnuHO0IoHZc[/yt]

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand what you are referring to ?

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ His son who just seems really spoiled and annoying from what I've seen.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I guess they didn't do a good enough job keeping him away from the celebrity exposure. Will Smith didn't have that, he had to work his way up, and it shows. His son profits from the big name, and it shows as well.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I couldn't give a shit about that - anyway as I understand it the actual twist is:

there is no twist, it is as it appears to be - a coming of age man vs. nature sci-fi adventure.

17. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

His face is so punchable. And I feel horrible saying that but... actually, no I don't.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There is no "twist" here, any more than there was in The Last Airbender. People keep forgetting that Shyamalan didn't conceive or write this film -- he was just brought in to direct someone else's project. Sure, he did do a draft of the script, and as the director he had the final say about its content, but one theme I'm seeing in a number of those Rotten Tomatoes reviews is that Shyamalan's direction seems phoned in because he wasn't sufficiently invested in a concept that wasn't his.

So while this is a film directed by Shyamalan, it is not a "Shyamalan film" in the sense of following the formula he's known for.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not surprising that the accents might be a bit weird. This is, what, a thousand years in the future? I doubt they'd even be speaking any kind of recognizable form of English after all that time.

20. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Nor should you. The fact he wanted to be emancipated was what put it over the line for me. I don't want to support Will's ungrateful, spoiled twerp either... I'm sure I'll still see the film... but for Will.