PS4 and Xbox One Launch Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Nov 14, 2013.

1. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ I've read online that the HDMI cable that comes with the PS4 is kinda crappy and it's the reason for the bent pin in the HDMI connector.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Got my e-mail and patment process confirmation from Shop To.Net this week ;) ooo so close now to PS4 Launch Day (UK) cannot wait.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So the new consoles require internet updates just to turn them on? What if you don't use Xbox Live or PS Network?

I'll probably wait two years until buying one. I'm just excited about getting a PS3 on Black Friday :lol:

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

No, they don't need to update them just to turn them on, as faras I'm aware, they will work out of the box but they will be missing some of their features.

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The "acceptable" failure rate for electronic devices is 1% of the total amount in circulation. It was even back when the PS3 first came out.

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, this isn't a scandal. The Xbox 360's initial failure rate was a scandal, since that was at least 20% and possibly over 50%.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The current rate of 0.4% is actually one the lowest of a major console in years, and during such a packed sales period, selling that many so fast, people are going to notice it more.

And bitch about it more online, while the people whose system is working, are busy playing it.

8. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So... It would seem that Xbox One exclusives Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 have higher Metacritic averages than the PS4 exclusives. Forza's 2at 82 and DR3 is at 78. Now we just need to see where Ryse comes in.

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, the Xbox One does need the day one update to be able to do anything, and the box comes with a warning that an internet connection is required for it to work. The PS4 can play singleplayer games without its update, but little else. It can't even play DVDs without it.

The Xbox 360's initial failure rate wasn't that bad, roughly 1.5% of consoles failed within the first 24 hours. It was the longterm failure rate that was appalling. The RROD was primarily an overheating problem where the GPU was running so hot that it was causing micro-fractures in the solder connecting it to the board, with the board itself warping in some cases. That was a problem which came about only with extended use and wouldn't have caused problems for most people in the first week.

The key thing that many people on gaming sites are missing with the Blue Line of Death is that there's a difference between early failures in an electronic product and longterm failures, and that those two things are not necessarily connected (although they could be). Early product failures are usually due to issues with the manufacturing process where a certain percentage of units are always going to be defective. Those defective units will fail early, but the non-defective majority should have a normal lifespan if the product itself is well designed.

The BLOD, if it's a bigger problem than Sony are saying right now, is probably due to manufacturing issues that Sony can address on their end. The RROD was a design problem that required a product redesign to properly fix. It's far too early right now to tell if the PS4 has a similar design problem, we'll only find that out with time, early failures cannot reliably predict that.

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Ah, of course. I forgot about that with the Xbone. I had read the PS4 worked for single player out of the box, didn't realise it was so barebones on the software front without the update though.

11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point. Nevertheless, it sucks for those who ended up getting a defective one. Hopefully Sony can quickly address the issue for those that were hit with it.

So, from what I understand, something in the way the HDMI cables interact with the TV was changed with the latest update that caused damaged PS4s to have problems such as freezes and being unable to boot up.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

There's a principle wire connecting the HDMI output to the motherboard that isn't designed very well, it can cause serious problems when it moves about, which happens on several on the consoles, the affected ones.

A rewiring or a new housing to that connector will solve the problem, which is not really any consolation to the people who can't get a replacement since all of the current units are spoken for.

13. Owain Taggart

Yeah, that does suck. Did hear about people who had ordered from Amazon who aren't able to get replacements because it's all they had and were spoken for. Not much they can do about that, other than to hope Sony can be quick about it and stomp out the angry voices.

14. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Apparently you can download the patch on a PC, put it on an USB stick and install the patch from the USB stick on the PS4...
    Another + for Sony...
    And reports of bad PS4s should be taken with a grain of salt...
    There might be MS/XB360 fanboys spreading false reports...

15. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Oh c'mon...

16. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

The problem may be exaggerated by MS (or even Nintendo) fanboys, but it's quite a leap to suggest it's been fabricated out of whole cloth.

17. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

You can do the exact same thing with the Xbox One.

18. Owain Taggart

Yeah, exactly. I've actually come across people I know on other forums with the problem, including a friend of a former MS fanboy who decided to go with Sony this time around, only to get a defective PS4. Not exactly a great first impression for him, and it's not like anyone would make that up to that extent.

19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely, it would suck to be one of those whose console broke down shortly after buying it. But a certain percentage of hardware failure is inevitable and I understand that, what matters most is that Sony have proper customer care systems in place that get new consoles to those affected quickly. That isn't the case according to some accounts, I've read stories of people being on hold with Sony tech support for four hours and then having the call dropped on them. That sort of thing shouldn't happen, and I'm far more worried about that than I am about a certain number of the consoles failing.

I'll say this for MS, when my first 360 broke down getting it replaced was a relatively painless process. I was on the phone for no more than 15 minutes and I had a replacement console within two weeks. I was more annoyed when that second console broke down as it was a few months after my 3-year warranty expired. :sigh:

20. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Already have a Wii U. I'll wait about a year for games to come out for PS4.

I probably won't ever get an XBox One, just because a lot of the games I like are Japanese, and I feel like all the Western games I want will be cross platform and all the Japanese games I want will be PS4 or Wii U only. I don't like FPSes, and that's really the only kind of game that is likely to be XBox One exclusive.