SG-U – Air I and II (1x01/02) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Brent, Oct 2, 2009.

?

Grade Air Part 1 and Air Part 2 – 2 Hour Premier

1. 9 Chevrons – Out of this Universe (A+)

15 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. 8 Chevrons – Beyond the known Galaxies

55 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. 7 Chevrons – In the Milky Way Galaxy

54 vote(s)
    31.4%
  4. 6 Chevrons – Within our Solar System

16 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. 5 Chevrons – Haven’t got past Earth (Average)

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. 4 Chevrons – No flying machines at all

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. 3 Chevrons – Pre-Industrial

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. 2 Chevrons – Dark Ages

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. 1 Chevron – Throwing rocks and stones here

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. Cannot Establish Lock – Doesn’t even exist (F)

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The pilot didn't really focus on the characters themselves as people it was all about the trip and survival. I am sure we will see them get fleshed out as the season goes on.

2. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now, was that showing Rush communicating through Lee at that time or was that another flashback? I got the impression it was just a flashback.

3. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

Looked to me like Rush activated the communications stones, the next scene we see Doctor Lee reading, the camera pans in to the security monitor also showing Doctor Lee, then the camera pans out and it's Doctor Rush. So he obviously activated the stones and took over Lee's body.

What he did after that, we don't see.

Not a flashback.

4. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

You cannot be serious. Rush had run out of ideas of how to dial using the 9th chevron. It was Eli that wanted to try using Earth as the origin symbol. Why would Rush call in an assault if he wasn't 100% sure of himself to be able to dial out? No it does not make sense.

5. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A little slow in parts but overall pretty good. 7/10

6. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope the Lucian alliance angle will not be ignored and whether there is a traitor among them.

7. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

He was convinced Eli's strategy would work, and it would be the only way to force everybody through the stargate.

Honestly, the character would have to be pretty stupid to set the gate to the nine-digit-symbol during the emergency unless that was the plan all along (with him having a good idea of what was over there).

8. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Did it seem to anyone else that Rush knew more about where it was going to send them than anyone else? He seemed to go in knowing more than everyone about their situation.

9. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I'm convinced that the set-up makes zero sense otherwise. He either planned it out, or the whole show is a result of some truly ridiculous plot contrivances.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Possibly, but that could be misdirection. Rush's advanced knowledge of Ancient language, culture, and technology (hey, why did we never hear about this guy before, anyway?) mean that he'll be able to understand more things about the ship and understand them faster than everyone else.

11. Chevron Guy

Chevron Guy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I didn't get to watch the premiere live, but I caught it on Hulu the day after. It seems like a promising series, although I can't say that I like any of the characters much so far. And is the SGC now located in the Pentagon (reflecting the real-life departure of NORAD from Cheyenne Mountain)? That wasn't made clear in the episode.

12. Jerikka Dawn

This doesn't follow. What would Rush's motivation be for intentionally wanting to create an emergency situation in order to force everyone through the gate?

The reason we haven't heard about this guy before is because this is the first episode.

13. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I'm still waiting for the writers to fill us in on that one, but I don't buy for a second that he was stupid enough to open the nine-chevron gate during an emergency evacuation without that being the plan all along. He either has a larger plan, or he is a complete idiot. I'm waiting for the writers to let us know for sure.

14. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

He was presented with an emergency situation in which he faced losing the Icarus base forever - he establishes in dialogue this is the only place that the 9-symbol address can be dialled from. He has a working Stargate in front of him, a legitimate reason not to dial Earth, and an idea how to make the 9-symbol address work.
    Put that together, and you have a scientist desperate not to see his work vaporised when he's this close to figuring it out. Maybe, in retrospect, a dumb decision, but a completely believable one in context.

He knew more about the situation later on because he spent most of the two-parter standing at a control console while everyone else was wandering around or playing with the flying MALPs. He had a chance to look through tonnes of stuff about the ship in that time.

15. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

It was an evacuation, and he could have dialed anywhere other than Earth (pick a barren planet if you want). Obviously, the nine-chevron address can at least theoretically be dialed from somewhere else (as it was originally supposed to be dialed from Earth). It's not worth putting everybody's lives at risk (including a freaking Senator, dozens of civilians, and an IOA representative).

I have zero sympathy for him if that's all there is to the situation.

16. Jerikka Dawn

I have no sympathy for him either. The best thing for him to have done at that point would be to dial any other planet, even an uninhabited one because they would have a chance of returning to Earth -- his work on the ninth chevron be damned.

It still, however, makes a lot more sense than him secretly collaborating with the Lucian Alliance to have the base attacked in order to force an evacuation and to force his scientific work to be put in imminent jeopardy and risk losing it all when the alternative would have been having many more months or years available to him to figure out the gate.

Him collaborating the the Lucian Alliance simply makes zero sense.

17. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Nope, it wasn't made clear yet where the SGC is located. Surely they aren't keeping the Stargate at the Pentagon, heh. Who knows really.

18. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

They could have mentioned the name Rush in the Atlantis finale at least, I think it makes sense that Rush is on the team studying Atlantis now that it is on Earth, they shoulda just made a name drop.

19. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Keep in mind that he might not have intended that to be their evac point; maybe he just wanted to know if the connection would be made or not, while he still had the opportunity to find out.

Only after the Gate stopped accepting input for whatever reason was the Destiny forced as their evac point.

20. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

I had trouble hearing alot of the dialog. But that could be due to my snoring. I did actually like the nuBSG look. I think its not really just BSG, its just more realistic. Although the sex scene seemed a bit forced. Like, "see, we're cutting edge real over here!" I hope that doesnt become too common. I thought that was beaten to death with number 6 and Boltar.

The whole cast seemed red-shirt disposable to me. No strong characters, mediocre acting, and slow, sleepy pace. At least the "Last Starfighter"-esque math wizkid was not 12. Thats a plus.

All in all, a bit of a clunker. On the other hand, Im an optimist. Lets see if they breathe a little life into this stiff.

4/10