Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

There are actually a few other Fargo clones knocking around now, but yeah you don't often hear about the other lines.

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I am not really into the comic or the character but I liked the movie with Stallone. The new movie was way too violent for my tastes.

3. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stallone version was a great movie.:)

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It was a fun, goofy, sci-fi action movie. What it wasn't was a good Dredd movie. ;)

...though actually the first 15 minutes weren't so bad in that regard.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Some vaguely interesting news. A sequel still doesn't seem likely, but it appears the DVD/Blu-Ray sales and the positive word of mouth haven't gone unnoticed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Link

6. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    I absolutly LOVE the new DREDD movie. What an amazing piece of work! Everything about it (IMO) was amazingly done. Great work. Favorite movie currently :)
    The original 90's Dredd with Stallone wasnt bad, if you consider it was a very well done COMIC BOOK adaptation. Most people miss this part and seem to think its a badly acted movie. Oh well to each their own!

Love em both :D

7. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a long time fan of the comics, I have to disagree about it being a good adaptation of the comic. As I said above, about the only thing it got right was the uniform.

8. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    Fair enough, like I said, to each their own. I should have expressed myself better, but I meant more along the lines of, it was better viewed as an adaptation as a comic book, then trying to view it as an Oscar winning / Best picture type movie. If that makes any sense, lol.
    I'm not the best at describing things like this...

9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Judge Dredd: Superfiend
    So this isn't really a sequel. But for an animated web series I'm really liking what I see so far.

10. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You did see the golden cod-piece right?:rommie:<
    As an old time Dredd reader(I still have the space-spinner<true fans will know what I'm talking about>)I really loved Urban's portrayal of ol' Stoney face.If this is to be the only movie we get at least the character has been done some justice(no pun intended).

11. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I thought the Stallone version was horrible. And, I never had read the comic beforehand.

I did read the comic after seeing the Karl Urban version. And, Urban's version is pretty badass.

Olivia Thirlby portrays an interesting character since she comes off as 'green' officer who will obviously be over her head. She's petite, pixish....but turns out to be a tough gal.

Lastly, Lena Hedley was scary, cool, and badass in her evil way.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess I haven't read a Dredd story in 20 years or so. However, from what I remember the Stallone movie was much closer in tone than the new one. The whole unforgiving judgment of Rob Schneider's character despite the circumstances seemed to fit the humor and satire of the stories I had read. I thought Mega City One and the designs were much more spot on as well.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before. I'm not familiar with the comics myself, but from what I read, fans of the Dredd comics generally feel the 2012 movie was far more faithful, or at least far more respectful of the source. True, the Stallone movie had more humor, but not the same kind of satirical humor as the comics, or so I gather.

And certainly Karl Urban's performance is generally considered better/more authentic than Stallone's, and not just because he kept the helmet on.

14. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

And his (Urban's) chick partner was smokin' hot! :)

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there are a few elements of the Stallone film that are well handled, certainly the first 15/20 minutes are actually quite a good representation of the comic, but when it goes downhill it goes downhill really fast. Dredd 2012 lacks the crazier aspects of Mega City 1, but to be honest I'm not sure a direct lift of the comic could ever truly work on film.

Urban is an infinitely better Dredd than Stallone.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a complete run and the Comic version has pretty much done everything* at this stage from fantasy to sci-fi to satirical humor to police procedural to straight forward 'dumb' comedy so pretty much any version on screen would represent some element of the series.

* Fairly-Hyperman turns up at one stage and Dredd takes him down pretty swiftly as it's policy to take samples of any exploding planets and he shoots him with Green Kapokite bullets.

17. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Trades? Originals? Bit of both? In any case, that a helluva lotta Dredd!

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Original issues - I picked up the first 600 off someone who was going to throw them out! People then think I'm an expert on 2000ad but about half the stories in any given issue I just don't like and don't read!

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Have you been reading Rogue Trooper and Strontium Dog?

20. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

The 2012 movie was very grimdark, wheras the comic was kind of... crazy? Like, everything was turned up to eleven, there were gangs of kids on space hoppers and block wars and muties and... like, it was a lot more sci-fi and wacky and hilarious- it actually wasn't that far off the universe portrayed in Transmetropolitan. So I do feel the Stallone film, while perhaps being a worse film that Dredd2012, was actually more faithful to the comics than the reboot.