Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey 2x01

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Allyn Gibson, Jan 8, 2012.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cora’s supposed to get Spanish Flu, right? According to the “next on ..." I still hope Grantham doesn’t cheat, but he’d be able to marry the (pregnant) maid and have a son. Her older boy won’t be that happy and it’d be yet another scandal for the family, the master marrying a pregnant maid!! No covering up that one.

I really like how Cora and Violet have improved their relationship over the years. Last season, the Titanic sank and Patrick Crawley was dead, and Cora and Violet were at odds most of the season. Glad to see how they’ve mellowed after 6 years. And all the daughters have grown, not the willful spoiled girls they were at the start.

Has Sir Richard really said one thing loving to Mary? Yikes! And looks like Matthew’s legs might be okay. Yeah, I’m in the group that wants him and Mary together. Maybe Sir Richard’ll get the flu, too.

2. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Off subject but are you the the Propita from the old B5tv boards?

Cora can be very easily manipulated by O'Brien, but I would really pity her if Robert cheats on her. He married her for her money in the first place. He needs to at least remain loyal to the woman.

Edith has improved by leaps and bounds. Maybe she can marry an American?

3. propita

I've been here (Trek BBS) over 10 years, but not really other boards. And I'm really "propita"--no capitalization. Or it would be ProPITA--Professional Pain In The Ass.

4. Kosh Naranek

They should just put Matthew and Mary together already. I feel like they are just trying to stall now.

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Last night's episode was the final two episodes of the second season. (There's one more episode next week on Masterpiece, the subsequent Christmas episode.)

The second season finale wasn't as emotionally devastating as the first season finale (where every character basically lost whatever they wanted), but it was still pretty rough. Lavinia's death was heartbreaking, and so too was Matthew's vow that he had to honor her memory because he'd killed her with a broken heart. Honestly, I was little disappointed that Lord Grantham and Jane didn't get together. Yes, he was being a bit of a jerk, but he was an honest jerk. And Bates got framed for his wife's suicide, leaving Anna to soldier on alone.

Also, I liked the little talk between Lady Edith and the Dowager Countess. Someday, Lady Edith will find love, and I keep rooting for her, even if she is "The Other One" when compared to "Hot" and "Way Hot." (That was how Saturday Night Live named Lady Mary and Lady Sibyl respectively.)

Can't wait for next week (even though I have the DVDs and can watch the Christmas special whenever I want), and then I don't know how I'll handle the next nine months or so until there's more Downton Abbey.

6. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I can't support Edith after what she did to Mary. That was just completely malicious and has ruined several lives now. This was the first time I didn't like Sybil as much either, because she seemed a little full of herself.

I've never seen that much attraction between Mary and Matthew. I mean, I hear them say the lines and I can believe that they feel strongly for one another but not as more than friends. And with Lavinia being so sweet, it seems a shame that they had to write her out. Of course, that's why they had to write her out. But I don't feel that invested in Mary/Matthew.

The Dowager Countess just gets more and more awesome with each episode.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's funny. I buy Matthew/Mary, but can't get into Sybil/Branson. The actors playing Matthew and Mary can pull off the yearning looks and unspoken feelings, ditto for Bates and Anna, but I'm not feeling any real heat between Sybil and the chaffeur, no matter how much the show keeps telling us they're in love.

8. Allyn Gibson

No, I agree. The Sybil/Branson thing has fallen flat for me this year. I thought it started out promisingly with that moment when he drove her to her training and he told her that he'd wait for her, but ever since it's just laid flat on the screen.

I think it's down to the actors -- I know that the show treats Edith like a fifth wheel but Laura Carmichael brings some character and intensity to the role, while Sybil seems to be doing important stuff yet Jessica Brown-Findlay can't do anything better than to look hot and be bland.

9. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I agree that this series conclusion was pretty rough, although not quite as far-reaching as last series'. Interestingly, as tragic as Lavinia's sudden death was, it was not as effective on me. Maybe that's because I suspected all along something would happen to her. For my part, it was Matthew's crushing realization at what Lavinia had seen/overheard. The guilt he felt ... that's a burden almost incalculable in its power.

10. Greg Cox

Agreed. And it doesn't help that Branson often comes off as unlikeable. I mean, sure, he's passionate and politically committed and all, but this is also a guy who was going to dump a tray of sludge over a visiting guest's head, just to make a political statement; who turned the news of Tsar's family being slaughtered into yet another romantic appeal to Sybil ("Sometimes sacrifices need to be made.), and who often came off as borderline-stalkery where Sybil is concerned.

Granted, the latter may just be because Jessica Brown-Findlay wasn't selling her side of their grand passion, so his scenes with her may have come off as more one-sided than the producers intended!

11. Winged Victory

Winged Victory Captain Captain

Same here; Matthew (:drool:)/Mary and Anna/Bates have real chemistry but something is very lacking with Sybil/Branson. I think someone said up thread that Sybil was just looking for a ticket away from her family, to feel useful nursing, and running away with Branson is that ticket.

I can't wait for the next episode! They're going to be making a third series for next year so I hope they don't do a horrible cliffhanger. I don't think I could stand the year-long wait...

12. propita

A couple of episodes ago, Branson was getting verbally abusive towards Sybil. I was figuring she was walking into a bad situation. But in the last episode, he seemed very different and seems to be far less political.

Looking forward to the Xmas show!

13. Kosh Naranek

I broke down and watched the Christmas Special when my discs arrived in the mail. In pacing and feel it was much more in line with season one. I loved it.

14. Allyn Gibson

The second season ends tonight with the Christmas Special:
    What's going to happen with Bates? Will Sir Richard finally be seen as the bastard that he is? Will Matthew suffer even more over-wrought emotional agony? Will Isobel and Violet trade verbal barbs? Will Edith have her heart broken again? Will Mrs. Patmore dispense inane wisdom in the downstairs? Will Mr. Carson scowl?

It's Christmas at Downton!

15. Neroon

16. Allyn Gibson

17. Greg Cox

The real dilemma: do I go for Walking Dead or Downtown Abbey tonight?

What to watch first?

18. Winged Victory

Winged Victory Captain Captain

I broke down after last week's episode and bought the Series 2 DVD; holy moly, tonight's episode is the best and well worth the wait! The last scene in particular: :adore:

19. Neroon

Did you get the feeling that they might be dragging it out a bit to open a window for someone/thing else to mess it up for Matthew & Mary? :lol:

BTW, I'm looking forward to next series when Shirley McClain arrives as Cora's mother. Just imagine the scenes between her and Maggie Smith!

20. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I haven't finished the Christmas special yet but how cute is Daisy with Williams's father? Love that. Also this is probably the first time I've bought the Matthew/Mary thing.