Spoiler-ish predictions from current STID trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Rowdy Roddy McDowall, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Urban's performance is one thing critics unanimously gush over. Bones isn't going anywhere.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

He's a doctor, not a redshirt!

4. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Star Trek: The search for Doc?

5. CorporalClegg

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure the hands through the glass are Spock and Harrison. In the brig. Possibly a mindfuck by Harrison which allows him to escape, since the positions seems to indicate he's in distress and Spock is reaching out to him.

I doubt any of the main seven will die. That leaves Pike at the top of the "disposable" list.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

The blond chick is Carol Marcus nor Chapel and the running through the red field thing is what the Enterprise crew is doing before the villain starts things, plus Kirk is with McCoy not Sulu.

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt anyone from the main cast is going anywhere.

9. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

First, that's Kirk and McCoy (not Sulu) running through a field of red vegetation before jumping off the cliff into the ocean. Second, I didn't see a hand with a yellow sleeve in the shot that's evocative of Spock's death in TWOK. It looks like the sleeve of the black undershirt. Third, the woman screaming is Alice Eve, who is known for fact to be playing Carol Marcus, not Chapel. Fourth, McCoy doing the Vulcan salute as a dying joke? Really?

I don't think we know for sure which character on opposite sides of that glass is dying, if either. There's been a lot of speculation, but I'd put the odds near zero on that blue shirt belonging to McCoy and at nearly one hundred percent that it's Spock.

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

But why would you assume that?

11. CorporalClegg

Traditionally, hands on opposite sides of glass have seldom depicted a death scene.

12. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Cumberbatch.

Is it really that hard to spell his name correctly?

13. CorporalClegg

Cucumberpatch.

14. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Enterprise is destroyed in this movie, from what I saw in the Super Bowl ad. I think Kirk fouls up and he loses his ship because of it. 2009 Kirk but fraught with consequences. I think, from what they are saying, that there will be attacks on earth the Kirk should've been able to stop. That would make a much more interesting movie. It's about the burden of command. And it would leave this Kirk as close to broken as he ever was.

15. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

It's pretty darn obvious that what lie beyond the glass wall in the trailer, is identical to the cell from the picture we've all seen of Cumberbatch in the brig.

In other films where we've seen two people "touching" their hands to either side of a glass wall, invariably, one of the two is incarcerated, and the other a visitor. Seeing as Abrams makes his films for mainstream audiences, and NOT the fans, it's pretty much a safe bet that this stereotypical prison visitation scene, is intended as an homage to other prison visitation scenes, and is most likely not a bit of misdirection designed to make a small faction of Trekkie go apeshit.

Er... no. What we see in that ad is a ship of fairly common Starfleet design, albeit with nacelles that are shaped nothing like those of Enterprise, wrecking into a bay. Moreover, you can tell by the skyscrapers that are in the foreground of the shot, that this ship is freaking huge compared to Enterprise.

I'm guessing it's a long-lost and forgotten colony ship from the earliest days of Starfleet, and the source of both Harrison, and his ire against a Federation that he perceives as having essentially abandoned/forgotten him and his fellow crewmates. A colony ship also pretty much explains the cryo-tubes we see in the ad, and the fact that there's a really big wreck, and presumably at least a few resulting fatalities, pretty much explains the funeral scene we see as well.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Given that in one post you mangled the name of the main guest star, misidentified McCoy as Sulu and got confused about the whole hands-on-glass thing then based speculation on that...

...I'm going with the "very embarrassing" option. High confidence.

17. CorporalClegg

Exactly! [TM.]

Or more to the point, this is a classic film scene that's been homaged by every great director of the last forty years:

[​IMG]

This is not:

[​IMG]

18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Benadryl Lumberjacks?

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Fixed your quote attributions. The board's Quote and Multi-Quote functions will do it all for you at the click of a button; it's both much easier to read than the way you had it and links back to the post(s) being quoted.

20. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cumberbatch lunges naturally past the cucumber patch. Say that 10 times fast.
    The 9 minutes before The Hobbit seems rife with spoilers for analysis. Is anyone on that?
    I'm not so sure they'll kill anyone off this time around... we are just getting used to the nuances of the characters (see: Tasha Yar) but if it is only to be 3 films and nothing else, why not kill the entire crew in the next one?