Audio

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by seigezunt, Apr 16, 2010.

1. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Yummy, I found the unabridged audio of the Vulcan's Soul Trilogy on interlibrary loan, and am ripping it now. Can't wait to listen on my drives to school.

Too bad they didn't do more of these unabridged, other than the Nutrek audio.

Recently joined audible.com to get Trek audios for my recent trip. Listened to The 34th Rule, which I was underwhelmed by. But part of it was I swear the company digitized a recording at too slow a speed. Armin Shimmerman sounds way too basso.

Currently listening to the first New Frontier books on the same audible.com account. What's with Joe Morton's reading of Calhoun? Its. Like. A. Bad. Imitation. Of. Shatner. But only for that character.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The unabridged titles are not from Simon & Schuster Audioworks:

"Star Trek Nemesis" by J.M. Dillard, read by Grover Gardner, Sound Library/BBC Audiobooks America, 2002, 347 min. (The abridged S&S version was read by Boyd Gaines.)

"Vulcan's Soul, Book 1: Exodus" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, Recorded Books, 2004, 510 min.
    "Vulcan's Soul, Book 2: Exiles" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, Recorded Books, 2006, 630 min.
    "Vulcan's Soul, Book 3: Epiphany" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, Recorded Books, 2007, 694 min.

And yeah, Simon & Schuster's only unabridged novelization is "Star Trek" by Alan Dean Foster, read by Zachary Quinto, 2009, approx. 480 min.

Re: Calhoun.
    You might prefer the version in:
    "Gateways: What Lay Beyond" by Diane Carey, Peter David, Keith R.A. DeCandido, Christie Golden, Robert Greenberger and Susan Wright, read by David Kaye, 2001, 240 min.

http://therinofandor.blogspot.com.au/2007/05/i-hear-star-trek.html

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  3. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

My take on Calhoun's voice was supposed to be an accent thing. I didn't mind it. Joe Morton does a good job overall as narrarator, he has a lovely voice.

4. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

IMO, Morton's Calhoun was terrible. He didn't do a bad job with the rest of the narrarration, but his Calhoun sounded ridiculous :rolleyes:. It sounded like he couldn't stop drooling while reading Calhoun's lines...

5. Garm Bel Iblis

Garm Bel Iblis Commodore

What........IS WRONG...with..JOE....Morton's....CALHOUN?

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that how he read it?

7. Garm Bel Iblis

Garm Bel Iblis Commodore

With heavy E-NUN-CIA-TI-ONS and spit dripping from his lips.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Garm Bel Iblis

Garm Bel Iblis Commodore

there's gottabe a sample on the interwebs out there...someone look! fast!

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

The iTunes sample just has a bunch of bagpipe music and then him saying "Book 1!"

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I haven't bought any Star trek audia since they stopped getting Trek actors to read them. My favorites are Nimoy and Dioohan reading the Yesterday's Son/Time For Yesterday and DeLancie and Barret performing Q-in-Law.

12. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Nimoy reads the Spock "asides" in audios with both Doohan and Takei. Those are my favorites of the bunch, but I always found that Mr. Takei's Scotty sounded ridiculous...

13. Garm Bel Iblis

Garm Bel Iblis Commodore

In EVERY audiobook, i hated the Chekov and Scotty accent attempts, from Takei to Frakes in "Crossover," Leonard in "Federation" Shatner in his books and even Quinto in the "XI Novelization."

14. garoo1980

garoo1980 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know this isn't the original plan for this thread but I'm hijacking it :)

Anyone know if the possibility has come up of the casts doing audio plays? I was thinking along the line of Doctor Who doing Big Finish plays. For the wilderness years there when there was no DW on tv it was a terrific way to get our fix. The other advantage is that for most of the cast they sound the same so you can place the story in any season you like. And because the recording only takes a couple days you can get big name actors easily

15. Therin of Andor

Someone has to buy that license. According to John Ordover, years ago, the current Simon & Schuster Audioworks license covers adapted works only, not full dramatic productions. Even when they did three "Captain Sulu" original adventures, which had disappointing sales, IIRC, those were more like narrative readings than full interactive drama. Supposedly there was no audio production using the voices made for the "Starfleet Academy" CD-ROM (like "ST: Klingon" and ST: Borg") because S&S Audio had let that part of the license lapse.

16. garoo1980

garoo1980 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's interesting Therin. I listened to a Doctor Who novel read by David Tennant (the last Doctor) who read using his native Scottish accent, voiced the Doctor using the Doctor's English accent, and then various regional accents for the guests. It worked really well. Anyone ever tried this as a stop gap?

17. Therin of Andor

That's the way almost all of the ST audios were done. The narrators usually attempted impersonations and accents of most characters, to varying degrees of success.

18. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

I've said this before, but I've had some discussions with a couple of companies about an officially-licenced Trek audio drama series in various forms over the last few years, but it's yet to come to anything.

19. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Does anyone have any links to excerpts from Star Trek audiobooks? I've only listened to a few, but Rene Auberjonois is my favorite narrator.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you have ITunes they have 30 second clips for any of the audiobooks they have available.

ETA: I was looking around on ITunes after I made this post this morning, and apparently there are what appear to be German audiobooks of the first 3 Titan books. I just thought I'd mention it since I know we do have a few Germans on here. This was on the US ITunes.

Last edited: May 5, 2010