sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I've enjoyed Fringe all the way through.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

We might get glimpses of the bigger picture, maybe a line of dialogue here and there, but any show has got to focus on its premise and characters. If they opt for the same proportion of worldbuilding vs characters and plot that they do in Grimm, for instance, that seems about right.

There's no reason to mistrust FOX any more than any other network when it comes to sf/f genre shows. All the networks churn through a lot of shows each year, genre or otherwise, and most fail. It'll happen again this year. That doesn't mean anyone is picking on sf/f shows.

And they'll keep churning through shows indefinitely because sf/f is a staple genre that among the networks, only CBS can afford to ignore. It's good for attracting that younger demo that advertisers want to reach.

NBC, ABC and the CW all have new sf/f shows in the mix. FOX has no new sf/f shows this fall, which surprised me. I'd expect them to add at least one for 2013-14.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'll never forgive Fox for what they did to FreakyLinks. :scream: :(

4. sojourner

^Your right, I thanked them.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Terry Brooks' "Shannara" fantasy books being adapted for TV

6. Temis the Vorta

Bah! I got one of those subscription-block pages. fortunately on an ipad, you can use the Reader to get around those, just in case anyone else is having trouble... ;)

7. Temis the Vorta

ABC continues its love affair with fantasy.

Fantasy Western? ;)

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That could work. Larry Blamire has written some great supernatural Westerns. No doubt others have, too.

9. Temis the Vorta

A&E gives pilot order to Occult.

I'd snark about the derivative premise but it's A&E, so if they weren't doing this, they'd do a show about beauty contests for fetuses or roadkill cuisine so I'll just be happy with this.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually they've started doing some pretty good (IMO) scripted shows the last two or three years. I've really enjoyed Breakout Kings, The Glades, and Longmire.

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was very disappointed with the remake of Coma on A&E.

12. Temis the Vorta

I tried Breakout Kings and a little of Longmire, neither impressed me. Glades looked too derivative to bother with. It's a step in the right direction, though. Anything's better than more reality crap.

13. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shame. I'd heard mixed things about Longmire but was thinking of watching it if/when it ever showed up here. Poor man's Justified, people called it, only this one has Katee Sackhoff.

I'll probably catch the pilot regardless. Can't be worse than Awake, can it?

14. Temis the Vorta

I barely hung in there with Awake...it had its moments but I'm not sad it got cancelled and even though they didn't intend it that way, the season finale works fine as a series finale.

Short interview with Whedon on S.H.I.E.L.D series. Basically, it's going to focus on new characters, who aren't superheroes but have to live in a superhero reality, nothing too surprising there.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Awake had a fantastic pilot, but I wasn't sure the concept was sustainable as a series, and I don't think the network was either, because they kept retooling it and the series we got was inconsistent and unfocused. I wish it had been a movie instead.

As for SHIELD, I wonder, does that mean completely new characters, or will there be some comics characters who are new to the MCU, like maybe Bobbi Morse or Clay Quartermain?

16. sojourner

Longmire is great. Give it a chance. Not "a poor man's Justified". Totally different tone.

17. Temis the Vorta

CW High School monster drama.

Odd premise description...is the stress causing the kids to become monsters, or does becoming a monster give you a competitive edge in life? If this weren't the CW, I'd suspect they were going for social satire...

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Could be some kind of "Steroid" or "Compound" to open up the mind, give more sports or Musical prowess... Several Horror flicks have been built around a similar premise. Even a Doctor Who episode (With Anthony Stewart Head as Head Master) explored giving something to the kids to make them smarter.

19. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With a new superhero movie popping up every other week the idea of this world viewed through the eyes of normal people actually sounds kinda refreshing for a change.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Glades is a lot of fun. It is pretty much you're standard cop show premise, but it's got great characters and writing.
    Same goes for BK. I'm more than happy to watch a show these kinds of shows as long and I like the characters and the writing, and with both shows those elements are outstanding.
    Agreed.