(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Even more interestingly - Spurs are beating Chelsea as well. At a place known to Chelsea fans as Three Points Lane no less. I don't often want Spurs to win, but today...

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

If it happens that way then tough, he made his choice.

3. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Great results for Fulham and Spurs, but they don't matter unless Liverpool can win tomorrow.

United still odds-on favourites, but it's looking like Sir Fergie's shitting himself at squeaky bum time.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Ferguson has now hidden behind the shield of MUTV. We know why he won't talk to the BBC, but now he won't talk to anyone except the club website and the club TV channel.

5. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks like Villa is falling off a cliff in recent weeks. Good news for the Gooners.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^3-0 to the Pool now.

7. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Well well. It's official. On 1st April, Liverpool will still be in the title race as main challengers.

Never thought I'd see that.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Capello's ENG squad for the next 2 matches...

A decent squad I guess, surprised to see Upson in because of his recent injury and King I thought did not have the health to be called up to the ENG squad but King is a better defender than Terry for ability so am happy.

Still annoyed not to see Chris Kirkland, Ashley Young, Micah Richards or James Milner in the squad but good choice for Lennon & Baines being called up (great form). A.Cole should be happy Bridge is injured because hes not the most favourite person at the moment.

MY PERSONAL Squad would of been...

James, Kirkland, Green

Richards, L.Young
    Ferdinand (c), Terry, Upson, Woodgate, Lescott
    Baines, A.Cole

Lennon, Milner, Beckham
    Carrick, Gerrard, Lampard, Barry
    A.Young, Downing

Crouch, Heskey, Agbonlahor, Rooney

9. Tomalak

Agree with Kirkland. He's been more or less injury free for two years now, and for my money he's as good as James, and a far better option than Green. Foster is a joke, considering he's not even second choice for his club.

Ray Clemence works in mysterious ways.

10. oojason

oojason Commander Red Shirt

The FA announce what we all knew was going to happen anyway - no further action taken against Rooney for his post-sending off antics in the Fulham game.

It's all about Respect, isn't it? ;)

Congrats to Fulham - a top result for them with some decent football from both sides :)

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^There's nothing else to do to Rooney. He was sent off, they can't appeal it because it was two yellow cards. No need to make more of it than that. He lost his temper and was punished for it.

Compare that to incidents recently like El-Hadji Diouf's "tackle" on Manuel Almunia (Arsene has joked that Diouf is lucky it wasn't Jens Lehmann), Morten Gamst-Pedersen's horrendous penalty area dive or Steven Taylor's elbow on Andrei Arshavin that all went unpunished.

Then we've got Phil Brown making up stories about Cesc Fabregas, complaining about how he dresses even, telling lies about how Arsene never shakes his hand (YouTube disagrees with you, Phil) and getting upset because Mike Riley did the right thing by Arsenal for the first time in his life and made Hull stop time wasting.

So, from an Arsenal fan's perspective, it's difficult to see why the FA would do anything else about Wayne Rooney throwing a football when the referee already sent him off for it.

12. Tomalak

His ban could have been extended for the manner in which he exited the pitch. Unlike Scholes, he shouted at the ref for a bit, then twatted the flag.

13. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dean Windass got three reds at Aberdeen for the same thing.

From his Wiki page.

14. Tomalak

And he's also a short, fat, jug-eared moron. Coincidence?

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I've been keeping an eye out this season on Mark Noble and I cannot fathom why Capello who talks so much about Club form being key to getting in the ENG squad has not called this youngster up. Everyone last season spoke about Michael Johnson who has let fame and money go to his head (injuries haven't helped either) and this year no one is talking about the future of the English central midfield...

Heres some facts about mr Noble...

* 21 years old (turns 22 only 3 days before me :cool:)

* Noble joined West Ham Utd as a schoolboy and became the youngest player ever to appear in the reserve team, aged 15

* Made his debut in the senior team at the age of just 17

* Former Manager Alan Padrew described Noble as possibly the best prospect at the club

* He won the Hammer Young Player of the Year in the 2004–05 season.

* Mark Noble made his 100th apperance for West Ham Utd and scored in that game last week.

* Noble has already held the captain's armband for West Ham Utd.

* Noble captained the England U-18 team

* Noble was part of the ENG Under-19 team that made it to the Championship final

* Regular member of ENG U21's since 2007 and played in the summer championships with England scoring twice in the semi final shootout against Holland.

* 14 caps for U21's with 3 goals

* Expected to be in the U21 team again for the upcoming championships

Oh and his current form is very good, which is no surprise since West Ham are on great form in 2009 with Noble pulling the strings in the middle, so Capello :shifty:

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Plus I know Arsenal's scouts have watched him more than once and it's known that Arsene likes him.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Didn't know that maybe he should buy hin to partner Fabregas in midfield if they fail to land Barry or Alonso in summer. Noble is a very good player :techman:

18. Tomalak

Bellamy's comments after the Finland match would be hilarious if he wasn't such a classless cnut.

I suppose when you've just been twatted by a 38 year old, you might be a little embarrassed. I hope Jari knows well enough not to go near him on the golf course.

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

What do you reckon to ENG's new home kit ???

At first I was a little WTF but it grew on me and I like the older style shirt even if it reminds me of the polo shirts you wore in P.E at school ;). Love the blue badge and red writing though no way is it worth £30-40 pounds you can tell by looking at it though I bet material will last longer than crap the home kits are normally done by being a different kind of shirt.

As for them the match apart from 15 dodgy minutes and the bad joke that was our strikers being getting injured, it was a good if not easy performance. Lennon shown potential, while Beckham proved how good he really still is by setting up Rooney and almost Crouch (stupid Terry). I know Fabio will want to have Downing in just to have balance of one left footer for the 4 wingers but come on hes not good enough, I would rather see Becks, Walcott and then 2 of J.Cole, Lennon and Young.

Rooney and Gerrard linked up very well and along with Becks were the best on the pitch but a pity we didn't see Baines or see Slovakia test Foster more. Its nice to know Upson gives you quality cover at the back now because with Kings injuries since 2006, we have not had that cover to call on. Johnson played better than I thought but I still think Richards in the long run will make a better right back.

My guess for Wed is 2-1 win and hopefully we will see Gerrard back in middle with Lennon and Becks on wing but lets face it won;t happen cause me & Fabio dis-agree on starting XI's all time. At least if Heskey is out Crouch looked good again in a ENG shirt...

Terry got 50th cap (overshadowed by Becks 109 congrats BECK's) and Rooney is now 21 goals in 49 caps (looking much better these days than when it was 14 in 42)...Rooney reached that mark of 21 goals in 1 game less than Owen did.

20. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone see Bellamy's interview after the Wales Vs Finland game?

Bellamy was obviosuly disappointed in the immediate aftermath, but he specifically stated that Finland "Weren't a good team" and that Johannsen "Isn't a good enough player to score". Seems a little sour grapes-ish to me. Finland were easily worthy winners.

Brilliant goal from Ballack for their first of four against Lichtenstein.