What would you change about the TOS Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by GregroxMun, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suggested the very same thing in another thread some time ago. As you noted, it wouldn't really need to be functional, just markings to imply its existance (otherwise, the set would need to have been positioned over a "pit" built into the soundstage). Except for the purposes of staging, that empty spot front of the navi-helm station is a bit useless. A "hatch" gives an "in universe" reason for it to be clear.

Sincerely,

Bill

2. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't that where Shane Johnson put his hatch on the TMP Bridge as well? Certainly, it is the most sensible location.

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Your post should be pinned for so much winning truth...though I would change one thing...

TAS' sensible second bridge turbolift, or at least a recessed ladder like those in the ship halls. That would be sound thinking eliminating the need for any "we're trapped on the bridge" plots.

4. spockboy

spockboy Captain Captain

Considering Gene's inspiration it may have looked something like this (VIDEO)

[​IMG]

:)Spockboy

5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I salute you, Spockboy!! :techman::techman:

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Quite a lot in terms of the general shape, the outdated 60's scifi look, the dull ceramic look of the hull, the unnecessary nacelle cap nonsense, the spindly struts and neck, lack of proper weapon placements, the shuttle bay approach/stern.

Drastically update the deflector, redesign or move the bridge module slightly, have proper detachable service craft for the ion surveys attached to the sides of the engineering hull.

Remove most of the windows on the neck and reduce them on the lower hull, remove the three frontal ones on the saucer and replace it with a single reinforced viewing port (dull when not in use).

Reinforce the nacelles, change the end caps to something more aesthetically interesting, add venting ports and other details.

Remove the rollerball track thing leading to the impulse engines and redesign those to look like engines, maybe have them jut out slightly less from the hull.

Reduce the idiotic inward curve of the underside of the saucer that removes so much useable room for no reason and thicken the saucer itself slightly.

Add additional docking ports to the sides and other umbilical connection ports subtely around the ship, imply greater ability for hooking up on the deep space assignments.

7. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Wow. You don't like the "E" much, then? ;)

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I like it quite a lot, enough to have about 8 different versions of it around my room.

Nothing is perfect and this thread is an open "what if", so I made some suggestions. So I'd stop implying hate where none exists, projection is a very ugly thing.

9. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yikes

10. LadyT'Anna

LadyT'Anna Commander Red Shirt

Better yet, alternate them with pastels to relieve the monotony, not to mention the eyestrain. I'd reserve the scarlet doors for restricted areas, though.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I have played around with the design over the years and rarely did I find anything that improved it.

I would dare say that a lot of criticisms directed at the design could be influenced by forty years of SF hardware we've gotten since and subsequently later perceptions could give some cause to see the TOS E in a different light than when it first appeared. Standards and expectations have changed.

Now I would also say that if TOS were being rebooted (again) I do think it would be possible to "freshen" the design without losing much of the original's appeal. I hasten to add I don't mean something like the TMP refit or particularly the JJprise version. I would also resist many of the efforts we've seen over the years of layering on TMP and Star Wars style detailing onto the original concept. I'm talking about tweaking a few of the lines and details and adding a bit extra detail, but resist overdoing it. I think the interior could use more dressing up than the exterior on a newer version.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  12. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I should have put in more than one ;), so you wouldn't have made the colossal leap in illogic that I'm some kind of psychotic hate monger. Speaking of projection, the only ugliness here is your attitude. Wow, if you fall apart this badly when somebody makes a "winky joke" then you need to take a chill pill, bub.

SHEEEESH.

13. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, some pastels and perhaps earth tones. The scarlet doors might work for areas that need to be easily identifiable in emergencies, such as engineering or the outside of sickbay.

14. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't change anything... (See Neil deGrasse Tyson's eloquent words on the design)
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBVsQW6Gyd4[/yt]

15. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Gosh, that was cool.

16. LadyT'Anna

Agreed, plus the door to the hangar deck. Speaking of which, that particular door should be restricted with a command code specific to the Enterprise so that no one pulls a Matt Decker and steals another shuttlecraft from under the captain's nose.

(Ah, pipe dreams. Or should I say Jefferies tube dreams? ;))

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  17. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Every visitor on shows up to and including TNG and VOY had free access to the shuttlebay, why should TOS be any different?

18. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

That and Commodore Decker probably have higher clearances anyway.

19. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I imagine she'd suggest changing it for those shows too.

20. LadyT'Anna

Indeed I would, Forbin. It appears you read my mind without benefit of meld, and I thank you for that.

Leaving shuttlebays unguarded demonstrates a shocking lack of security, IMO. Having a security guard present to validate the launch of a shuttlecraft seems like a basic security precaution to me.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015