Aw, crud! Margaret Clark is gone now, too.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Biggshow, Aug 27, 2009.

1. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I know, that's a bad choice of words, but I don't know a better one..."less experienced"?

It seems to me that laying off your most experienced and knowledgeable people, while making the short term payroll numbers look better, is a double-edged sword. Will the remaining people be able to do the job as well as those let go?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You're exactly right. The performance or experience of the editors makes no difference to the people making these decisions, because they aren't creative decisions, they're strictly budgetary. The company needs to cut costs, so if they have to lay off one editor out of three (or four), they're going to lay off the highest-paid one.

3. darkwing_duck1

But if SK or MHG drops a bomb, it's one bomb in a string of how many wildly successful efforts? And they only need ONE editor to handle the client.

It's a matter of expenses to earnings. One editor for a huge hit like a SK book has a HUGE earnings/expenses ratio.

Multiple editors for a division like tie-ins that is marginally profitable relatively speaking looks to bean counters to be the better place to cut.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm upset about Margaret's ouster, too, but, again, I feel obliged to point out that Ed has been editing STAR TREK novels for at least five years now, and Jen has been editing sf, first at Roc and then at Pocket for as long as I've known her, which stretches back at least a decade now.

So it's not like we're dealing with a couple of inexperienced newbies here.

In fact, I'm probably selling Jen's TREK experience short, just because I'm not personally up on which titles she's handled.

5. darkwing_duck1

You may very well be right...I have little knowledge of their "credentials" as Trek editors. I know all the newer Trek books that I really liked were either Marco's or Margarets's AFAIK.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And, certainly, no one is disputing the Margaret's departure is a tremendous loss. As was Marco's.

I just didn't want people to get the impression that Ed and Jen were a couple of clueless interns who had just been thrown in over their heads. They're both veteran editors with years of experience.

7. Jean-Luc Picard

Jean-Luc Picard Lieutenant Red Shirt

What a shame :( Good luck, Margaret. Your work on the Trek line has been great.

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Man. I came back into TrekLit purely on the strength of Marco's projects, and just when I'm getting used to the idea that this guy who I'd thought had the best outlook on Trek I'd seen from the editorial staff was gone, and just when I'm feeling ok about that (on the strength of Losing The Peace, in particular) the next one's gone too.

I know that, by and large, It Will Be Ok, but as a fan, this stuff is agonizing!

Best of luck, Margaret, and I'm hoping we hear something soon about what this means for the coming novels. I was getting all excited.

9. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well this just sucks. I like where Trek Lit was going, especally in the ENT & TNG eras.

Best of luck Margaret.

10. Christopher

Presumably those projects that have already been announced will be completed under the new editor/s. It's happened before; Ed Schlesinger took over most of John Ordover's titles when he left, and of course Margaret took over Marco's stuff (briefly, as it turns out).

11. Thrawn

^ Sure, but it also meant the Crucible hardcover was cancelled and almost all the trades in the second half of the year were pushed.

12. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Take heart; according to an article just published on TrekMovie.com, Pocket remains committed to the Star Trek books license, will continue with previously announced 2010 titles, and will be reassigning editorial responsibilities:

Quoth Jean Anne Rose, Pocket’s director of publicity:
    That said, I will miss working with Margaret. She is a good editor and a good friend, and I hope her professional path and mine cross again someday soon.

13. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I'm sorry... Are you under the impression that more than one editor works on each individual Trek/tie-in book? Or perhaps that the S&S General Fiction Department employs only a single editor?

You also seem to think editor salary is a major expense in the cost of an individual book, which I'm sure most editors would like to be the case, but I suspect it's not. And, needless to say, SK and MHC get something like 100x more per book than any Trek writer does (and probably 100x more than their editors, too).

14. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I wish her the best of luck. Hopefully she'll get rehired, eventually

15. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Damn, this sucks. I'm sad to see Margaret gone too. At least the upcoming novels for next year are still coming out in the spring. Hopefully we will see her around somewhere in the near future.

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

That's a relief!

17. Bob Greenberger

Bob Greenberger Writer Red Shirt

When I first reached out to Pocket to coordinate the comics and novels, it was Mimi I started dealing with. We had several lovely lunches although she stiffed me on the last bill -- haven't seen her since.

18. Christopher

They say they're committed to the schedule, so presumably the summer, fall, and winter 2010 books will still come out as well. And more books in 2011 and after, though probably not the same books Margaret would've done. (I don't know how far she'd gotten in planning '11. I have the impression that it was still in the very early stages.)

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's bad news. Best of luck Margaret with whatever comes next!

Let's just hope her replacement has a clue and doesn't insistute a second Richard Arnold-esque Dark Age of TrekLit.

Let the panicky posts predicting doom and gloom commence!

20. Thrawn

My only real concern is that we're in the middle of a bunch of ongoing plots, and DS9 in particular has been building to a lot of stuff that I'm hoping was going to be paid off at some point soon. I hope the ongoing stories are plotted or sketched out on paper, so the new editors can pick up where Palmieri and Clark left off; I hope we don't just lose all that buildup and go in a random different creative direction with everything.

How far along are the Typhon Pact books? Outlined?