Expecting Trailer?/Super Bowl Trailer is Live Now [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Nero's Shadow, Feb 3, 2013.

1. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

Since Nu-Enterprise is supposed to be Starfleet's flagship, and latest state-of-art technology - It seems to me that whatever the other ship is, it would appear have some superior firepower to the Enterprise to cause that level of damage.

Maybe Cumberbatch commandeers a Dreadnaught class ship.

2. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I could never understand what was in the saucer section forward of the bridge. When the Enterprise self-annihilated, this area was the first to go and the ship lost balance. When the Melbourne was attacked by the Borg, after having that area destroyed, the ship went adrift and was unable to continue the fight. When the Miranda-class starships lost this area, they too became permanently disabled. What is it about this area of those ships that produces this result? What ever it was seemed to disappear by the late 24th century, or the Enterprise-E would have been permanently disabled after its crash with the Scimitar or the Voyager after having been bashed as it was in Year of Hell would have found it impossible to ram that Krenim time ship.

I am not sure if the bubbles are air or water. There appear to be bubbles coming from the damaged starboard warp nacelle and from the leading edge of the saucer. Would there be air in the nacelles?

As for incompetence, I think that is a Starfleet trademark. As an example, Commander Riker loses in a fight to a pair of aging mothball Klingon bird-of-preys commanded by the Ferengi. (Ferengi have had only one notable battle in their history, and they lost that battle. These are not military geniuses.) Every time the Federation gets into a knock-out, drag-out fight, with the Klingons or the Dominion, they seem to be losing. It's only when faced against lesser opponents, like the Cardassians or the Talarians, that the Federation seems to come out on top.

3. Worfmonger

Worfmonger Commander Red Shirt

I don't think so. Based on the idea of Cumberbatch's character "detonating the fleet", I'm betting that he blows up Starbase 1, or possibly one of the ships docked at Starbase 1, and the result is a few ships get tossed into Earth's atmo. The Connie-class we're seeing isn't the only ship plummeting from the sky.

4. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

At one point in an earlier trailer we do see him in a captains chair on a bridge that doesn't seem to be a Constitution style of ship.

5. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

It's a TOS purist...trying to erase nu-Enterprise from canon.

"THAT'S NOT THE ENTERPRISE! THE NACELLES AREN'T BLUE!"

"AND THE SHIRTS ARE GREEN!"

6. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Air wouldn't vent into bubble shapes like what you see in the trailer. It's clear water bubbling out from use of the Fire Suppression Systems at the hull breach at the front of the saucer.

7. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to say that would take extreme attention to detail if that's true. Someone producing or creating the CGI would have to think as deeply as, "We need to show liquid from the fire suppression system leaking from the Enterprise as she falls through the atmosphere." They'd think that far, but get the UK flag wrong? ;)

My guess is it's like a condensation trail made from the heat of of the fires at those points on the hull. A similar thing seems to be happening on the front of the damaged nacelle.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You mean "avocado," don't you?

9. Worfmonger

Oh, THOSE "bubbles"; I thought the reference was to the odd visual distortion around the registry and ship name.

I agree, those look more like some sort of condensation or particle trail from her contacting the upper atmosphere, before the smoke can really start billowing.

10. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

A 700m starship colliding with Earth could cause planet wide devastation. We can only hope they are able to soften the landing :)

Its *so* easy to destroy life on a planet that stuff like the death star is not necessary. Simply accelerate a small object to sufficient speed at a planet and its good bye planet. Thanks e=mc2 ! All Federation planets should have a planetary shield to absorb such things.

Also I would not like to be anywhere near a crashed starship if the anti-matter containment field dies.

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

This is correct. It's also not what 98.5% of those watching the movie will be thinking. But it is absolutely correct and raises an interesting in-universe question about the efficacy of having these starships fly around in atmospheres (and under oceans) in the first place. Still, we are the 1.5%. The other 98.5% get awed by a kewl crash. The rest of us wonder about anti-matter containment fields.

12. Worfmonger

While I understand the idea of small objects at extremely high speeds and their accompanying kinetic energy, I fail to see why a 700m (or 1200m, for that matter) starship would have to be responsible for an ELE, apart from the aforementioned anti-matter issue. The terminal velocity of a ship that size would be quite low, comparatively speaking, and she likely has at the very least maneuvering thrusters to slow her descent further. We'd essentially be looking at similar destruction to a 747 belly-flopping on the tarmac, adjusted for mass, of course.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=73760#qGm9TchHIyCpYpgu.01

14. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Yup. I am aware that the laws of physics must be ignored for the sake of kewl 'splosions :)

I wonder what the Enterprise would do if it just stayed at full impulse on a collision course with a planet? I reckon the planet would be obliterated. Impulse is pretty darn fast :P As for warping into a planet well I reckon it would just make an enterprise shaped hole all the way thru ;)

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Do planets exist in subspace?

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that you're off by at least an order of ten.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The Fast and Furious 6? Why is it that the dumbest, simplest shit always gets the most sequels.

18. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

700m does not necessarily mean sufficient MASS to do catastrophic damage to the planet. A small asteroid may have more mass than a 700m starship.

You need to find out the metric tonnage of the starship and the speed at the time of impact.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Trek is on its 12th movie. :alienblush:

20. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quiet, you.