La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll happily add my endorsement of THE OMEGA MAN. If you like Silver Age film scores (roughly the 1960s and 70s) and you like jazzy, macho, vintage super-cool action music, then it's a must. :cool:

2. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Speaking of whether the Enterprise Incident score borrows any themes from other composers –

I've been listening to the Enemy Within score a lot. You know that 4-note motif associated with Evil Kirk that we hear all over the score? We first hear it in the teaser, "The Evil Kirk", I think that's the low piano registers. I'm going to list just a few more places – really it's everywhere in the score, this exercise is superfluous:

• The whole "Alter Ego" cue basically repeats it over and over in different instruments.
    • "The Lascivious Captain" opens with it very quiet in the woodwinds, then it returns a couple times; notably when the cue picks up speed at about 1:50, the motif is in the percussion under the melody.
    • In "Evil Fury", for the first 30 secs you can hear it under the brass, sounds like percussion and piano. Then after the 30-sec point where the cue slows down, the four notes are played very slowly, as beats.
    Half the time I hear that motif I'm reminded of Courage's hammering 4-note theme in The Enterprise Incident. To my ears it sounds exactly the same, except Courage states it with brass and has it stand alone.

Am I right? Is it the same?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think I know the two 4-note phrases you're referring to, and no, they aren't identical.

Again I'm using the Virtual Piano applet to list the notes, and I'm not sure I've got the right key; I'm only going for the pattern here. The "Enemy Within" motif is two descending intervals, a perfect fourth and a diminished fourth, then back up nearly an octave to the first note: C-G-C#-C. The "Enterprise Incident" Romulan-ship motif is a symmetrical one, a falling half-step and a rising half-step: G-F#-F#-G. They really don't have anything in common beyond having four notes and ending on the same note they start with, and sometimes having the same staccato rhythm (although the Kaplan motif has more variations in how it's used, as you say).

4. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is the post wherin I praise TOS for their "Dead world" music prominently seen in season one. Very haunting stuff.

5. JimZipCode

Ok, so note 3 is below note 2 in Enemy Within, and notes 2&3 are the same in Enterprise Incident. I couldn't decide – with the one stuck in my head, I was having trouble hearing the third note clearly in the other.

:) That's a funny comment. "They don't have anything in common except ____ and ____ and sometimes ____." Pretty darn similar. I would have said they are two 4-note themes differing only in the third note. (If you're right about the interval values, the second note is only a half-step apart between the two; and it would be easy to mistake them, transcribing by ear.) And having the same rhythm.

But different, as you say. Thanks for the info!

Has any of this music been published, as sheet music? I Googled some last week, when I last asked the question, but all I could find with a quick search was the main title music.

6. Christopher

^No, you're wrong about the intervals. The intervals in the "Enemy Within" motif are far, far wider. Counting both white and black keys on a keyboard, an octave is essentially 12 keys wide. Start at C, call that zero, then count upward one key at a time and the 12th key will be the next C. The first two notes in the "Enemy Within" motif are 5 keys apart; the next one is 6 keys below that; and the fourth note goes back up the whole 11 keys to the start. (The slightly smaller interval spans more keys because the intervals between adjacent keys aren't quite uniform; E and F are only one key apart, as are B and C. Transpose the same phrase to a different key and the number of piano keys spanned by an interval can change.) So the whole phrase spans just one half-step short of a full octave. But the two notes in the "Enterprise Incident" cue are only 1 key apart, half a step altogether, the smallest possible interval between two notes. The two phrases are very different.

7. JimZipCode

Oh gotcha, you said the motif from Enterprise Incident only went down a half-step from its starting tone. Missed that.
    (Are you sure? In memory it sounds like a bigger interval to me. Time to go home and listen to that score!)

8. Christopher

9. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Talking of sweeteners - I just watched For The World Is Hollow and I Have Touched The Sky, and when Spock releases McCoy from the Oracle (at the beginning of Act 4 just after Kirk and Spock have beamed back down to Natira's quarters), we get a nice drum sweetener over The Empath music. Is that drum heard anywhere else?

10. ZapBrannigan

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Go figure. Two weeks or so ago I received my copy of the TOS 15-CD set. Today I get home to find a package waiting, expecting to find the complete ST-TMP soundtrack. Instead I find another copy of the TOS 15 CD set. I certainly didn't pay for a second set and there's a big difference in price between the TOS set and the ST-TMP soundtrack.

I'll wait a few more days to see if the TMP soundtrack arrives. Either they mistakenly sent me the wrong thing or they sent me a second unordered set. If they did send me a second set I didn't order I'll contact them about returning it (I didn't pay for it). Of course if they sent this instead of what I ordered then I'll have to get it exchanged.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  12. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is an expensive mistake. But now you have to listen to all 15 CDs twice.

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

La-La Land is actually really good about correcting things like this. I'd suggest getting in touch with them and explaining the situation.

14. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First off: Yes, LLL's customer service is terrific. I smashed one of my jewel cases through no fault of anyone but me. And they still shipped me off a new one, no charge.

But second: I can't imagine any company that wouldn't want to correct sending you a $200+ item for $40. :)

15. ZapBrannigan

I'm glad you're going to return the accidental set, Warped9. La La Land treats their customers like gold, and they have brought several superb music releases to the STAR TREK community, at considerable financial risk. I would hate to see them lose money.

And incidentally: when this limited set sells out, maybe some kid who's been saving for it won't get a copy. Or maybe he will, because you were one of the good guys.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm in the process of listening to my copy and I'm on cloud nine. Right now, I'm in season two. I'm even happier with this than I thought I would be, and I've been looking out for this sort of thing for decades. :cool:

17. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally ordered my copy and waiting fir it to be shipped.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've just heard back from La-La Land. They checked their records and discovered that I was mistakenly sent the TOS 15-CD set instead of the TMP soundtrack I ordered. They thanked me for my honesty and already have my TMP order ready to ship. They asked me to send the TOS set back to them and provide them with my credit card information so they can credit the return shipping costs back to me or I can pay for the shipping and they will include any soundtrack of my choice with my TMP order at no extra charge.

I guess I'll take a look at their library. :)

19. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Like I said, La-La Land are good people. :)

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Items of interest:
    - BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES: VOL 1 (SECOND EDITION): LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)
    - BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES: VOL. 2: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET)
    - LOST IN SPACE
    - VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA: 50th ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION
    - THE OUTER LIMITS

I think I'm leaning toward the emboldened title.