DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure why people are taking it that they're unaware of her past...to me that is precisely why they're tweaking her, to acknowledge that past again. Rich kind of comments about it in the article. My poor description was more meant along the lines of it looks like we might be seeing Librarian Babs again.

3. Nerys Myk

This wretched piece of writing:

4. Admiral_Young

Heheh ah yes. The curse of most likely uploading his articles on a tablet or mobile phone and having no one edit it before hand :P

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you get what the writer means but it is not what is actually written.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I had the opportunity to read the DC FCBD book.

All I can say is that DC is really messing with their status quo when the regular books resume post-Convergence. In one case, I'm not sure how that gets put back into the box.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, i think the disruption will be worse than One Year Later.

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's pretty much built along the model of OYL. Hopefully there isn't the massive sales dip we saw with OYL.

9. Admiral_Young

I can't say that I'm surprised to hear this. It just seems everything is all over the place and there's no real sense of direction or purpose. They get a few minor hits, but in general no coherence.

10. Hound of UIster

I would honestly find a lack of direction preferable over the editorially enforced direction you see on the Batbooks post-Nu52 with everyone being forced to copy or tie-in to Snyder on Batman. I think the overall creative freedom after the departure of Mike Marts with Batgirl, Grayson and Gotham Academy really shows the potential of letting the writers do what they wanted.

The problem is trying to replicate it across the Nu52 when much of DC's editorial staff is just not that competent in my opinion. The Batbooks can actually get decent writing talent. But some of the books are just screwed with bad talent like Daniel, Finch, Lobdell, etc. Either direction you take the books, they are not going to be good.

But there are a lot of potential gems like the Midnighter/Section 8/Prez/Green Arrow/Martian Manhunter books, but there is also quite a few disasters like the JLA book and probably the JLU book which they still haven't found a creative team yet. It seems the Justice League editorial team is just terrible. Their strategy outside of Geoff Johns seem to be giving books to artists to write (Finch on WW and JLA to Hitch) not exactly a good idea. At least the Superbooks took a risk and got Gene Yang to do something though I doubt he'll be there for long.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Read 5 or 6 issues of Suicide Squad the other day.

It's little better than it used to be. :)

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Since at least three of you know what is in the FCBD issue, are you going to let the rest of into it or just carry on your conversation that makes no sense to the rest of us?

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't say more, sorry. I will say that I thought it was good and whet the appetite for the direction three of the families are going in summer and beyond.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished all the Convergence books.

Twaddle.

The writers were more interested in getting us caught up with the characters who had been missing since flashpoint, zero hour or crisis, than actually converging two disparate versions of the same character into comical/aggressive pit fighting against each other to determine which world is superior.

The Question by Greg Rucka was good, the rest was no Amalgam.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  15. Hound of UIster

I don't have the book, but I suspect she is talking about the Superman identity reveal. I suspect it'll be reversed by some sort of reality alterations possibly like what happened to Peter Parker's identity after Civil War in BND when he and his wife sold their marriage to the Devil.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus because they all have the same structure they gets very repetitive very quickly - moreover that sort of set-up is pointless because this stuff is all two issues (right?) and done.

I see the identity of the new Batman has been leaked it's....

it's Commissioner Gordon in a GGPD funded exo-suit

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

18. theenglish

19. Nerys Myk

People are actually upset by this?

20. theenglish

Unleash the hounds!!!

I don't know about any of you, but the Lois I grew up in the Seventies with would have exposed Clark's identity in a heartbeat and might not even have felt bad about doing so.