Which movie would you use to introduce someone with Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Mage, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

Even though it's not my favorite Trek film, I think TWOK would work best for introducing the Trek newcomer.

2. JT Perfecthair

JT Perfecthair Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Don't start with TMP or they will wonder why they began that way but chose to follow it up with a dozen childrens cartoon stories.

3. RainKing

RainKing Lieutenant Red Shirt

Generations is the movie that kicked it off for me. I had seen some of the TOS movies, but none of the television series. Never having seen TNG, including the holodeck, I thought the crew was actually on a sea ship in the opening. So the reveal had quite an impact. Following that film, I ate up all the Star Trek that I could.

4. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I first saw bits of THE MOTION PICTURE and THE FINAL FRONTIER airing back to back on USA Network in 1993 (why they chose to air two of the weakest TOS entries, I'll never know). The first time I watched a Trek film from start to finish was THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK. Liked it enough that I wanted to see the others. I was six years old and had just watched the STAR WARS TRILOGY, so I was going to eat anything that was sci-fi, especially if it was in space.

Introducing Trek to a friend? I'd really just start with the TV series, with the best of the lot. As far as films go, I'd definitely say THE WRATH OF KHAN. It's not only a good Trek film, it's a damn good film in general.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That's if they're still your friend afterwards. :lol:

6. Epsilon-9

Epsilon-9 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would start off simply with

STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE (1979) original theatrical presented in DOLBY STEREO / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL 49 speakers with expansion surround overhead below surround only here in this THX cinema.

Fantastic Jerry Goldsmith score to the film in THX.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Epsilon-9

Next up on Laserdisc and without the missing single sound effect as this is what one would hear if heard in 70mm Dolby THX!?

STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982) original theatrical presented in DOLBY STEREO / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL 49 speakers with expansion surround overhead below surround only here in this THX cinema.

[​IMG]

8. Epsilon-9

STAR TREK III THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK (1984) original theatrical presented in DOLBY STEREO / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL 49 speakers with expansion surround overhead below surround only here in this THX cinema.

[​IMG]

9. Epsilon-9

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country presented in DOLBY STEREO / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL 49 speakers with expansion surround overhead below surround only here in this THX cinema.

Got get STAR TREK V THE FINAL FRONTIER on letterbox laserdisc as I only have the panned and scanned pressing.

Also have them DVD and the son of SE DVD and so called originals botched up on DVD and the dreadful bluray. I'm glad I was a projectionist as I know what to look for, listen and feel for.

[​IMG]

10. Epsilon-9

STAR TREK GENERATIONS (1994) presented in SIX-TRACK DOLBY STEREO DIGITAL AC-3 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL 49 speakers with expansion surround overhead below surround only here in this THX cinema.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Id start with Forbidden Planet actually, to familiarize the virgin viewer with basic concepts.

12. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Wouldn't having to stop the film every 60 minutes to change discs diminish the "cinematic experience" despite the nice audio mix?

At least with 8-track, you don't have to switch sides. :lol:

13. lee249

lee249 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Always start with the beginning :)

What's FC? First Contact? The Borg queen is the same actress in Voyager (never knew this previously) except for 'Endgame' i believe another actress portrayed her in the previous cliffhangers.

14. BillJ

I think Alice Krige played the Borg Queen in "Endgame" and Susanna Thompson played her in the other Voyager episodes. Though I may have that reversed...

15. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Yep, FC is First Contact.

Another actress (Susanna Thomson) played the Borg Queen in all of the queen's Voyager appearances except for "Endgame". The producers got Alice Kridge to come back to play the role she originated in First Contact for "Endgame."

16. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I've successfully used First Contact to introduce people to Trek on several occasions. It seems to play pretty well with the uninitiated. Stewart is fairly well known and the story does a good job of explaining things. The movie has enough action and drama without going too overboard with the sci-fi or Trek centric stuff to throw someone who's never seen Trek before. Also, none of it really seems silly.

17. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

That's right. Krige played the Borg Queen in First Contact and Endgame, Susannah Thomson played the Borg Queen in the other Voyager episodes.
    It really depends on the person. An older sci fi fan, I'd go with WOK. For some people I know, younger, not sci fi hard core people, I'd go with the first JJ movie. It's not as strong a movie as TWOK, but I know some people who I think would prefer the newer slicker style and pretty boy cast.

18. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

First Contact.

19. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

Personally, I feel that for the non Star Trek fan, any TOS movies will be extremely dated. I think First Contact is the one and only movie you could play as an introduction to trek because of all the films, it`s the one for me that the casual movie goer can enjoy. But really, if someone wants to check out pre Abrams Trek, they need to get in to the series in my opinion. If they like that, and get attached to the characters, then they can get in to the films.

20. BillJ

Actually, The Wrath of Khan is perfect as an introduction to the films and Star Trek in general. What exactly is dated about it?