Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

That looks fucking awesome!

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, it was just an intro to the characters. I don't think the actual movie will be quite so bubbly. That being said, because it was hard to get a feel for the plot, it felt almost like a teaser trailer. The movie looks fun, but I'm also going to wait for a more traditional trailer.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wasn't crazy about Chris Pratt's "Ugly American" type character which seems a bit hamfisted. However, I don't mind being in the minority if most people are excited about this. Hopefully the final product is one that will make us all happy.

4. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love this line.

"There is no doubt that the cinematic pinnacle of my career is our cameras circling around a maniacal raccoon shooting a machine gun on the back of a living tree.

And I say this with as much modesty as I can muster – because certainly it is not me, but the hand of God guiding us all as we make this film – but it just may be the pinnacle of cinema in general.

When we shot it we were twirling around an empty space in a giant set. But I think all of us could see the raccoon and the tree in our minds. They were already starting to form. I can’t wait to share them with everyone in August."

5. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I am sold. Marvel will be taking my money.

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't get it. What are we excited about? That was awful, right?

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

For the (few) people who aren't won over by this trailer, I've got two questions: Just what were you expecting? I mean it's a movie about a group of outlaws who have given themselves the moniker: "Guardians of the Galaxy" just for shits and giggles. Plus you know, the talking Raccoon who murders people with the help of his giant tree...

And second, I'm curious if you guys have read the comics? Now I admit I've only read the current Bendis run, but from what I see in the trailer, the tone is pretty spot on from what is present in the comics. Maybe earlier incarnations of the comics were slightly more serious, I don't know. But all I know is that I love Bendis' current run and this movie appears to capture the tone perfectly.

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Just the opposite.

9. Cato

Cato Lieutenant Commander

I am a huge fan of comic book movies with X-Men, Marvel movie universe, Spiderman, Batman, Superman. I read comics as a kid and every once in a while, will pick one up. In that sense I am not so much a general audience guy who has no idea about comics, but I'm also not a person who reads them all of the time either. That being said, I hadn't heard of GOTG until I heard about this movie and then I researched it and was completely skeptical of this movie. I began thinking Marvel cannot pull off a talking raccoon and this movie is going to be too out there for people to grasp, myself included. After seeing this trailer, all of my skepticism has vanished. I am now exited about this movie and I think general audiences will probably feel the same. As for the jokey hokeyness in the trailer, Star Trek IV:TVH was not as serious as the previous films, yet it still contained drama at times and pulled at our heart strings, while still maintaining a fun adventurous vibe and the movie did great.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

This is usually the sort of movie that fans of the genre will enjoy but general audiences will largely stay away from. It'll be a big test of Marvel's brand and marketing prowess whether this can break out and be a success.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I admire Marvel's willingness to not play it safe, not just sit back and chug out the same movie over and over. I think this movie is a risk (it's a space opera, no real big stars, no "name" hero, it looks weird), but, will probably pay off for them.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the lineup introduction was needed for this type film. Even if it was shot just with the trailer in mind as someone said. These characters are unknown and right away a brief one-two line of what they are about is established + giving them the bandits/outlaws/renegades vibe that is inherent of who they are as a group.

That said we saw nothing at all of them as a group/team in action. Some brief sequence of them "guarding" or defending something/someone would've been nice.

I don't remotely believe the film is, as a whole, going to be as comedic as the lines they chose to show the GA via Peter Quill/Starlord. It's an action drama that is going to have doses of comedy much like the other Marvel Studios film. Rocket being the character after Quill to have scene stealing moments, comedic and otherwise.

I understand spotlighting Quill, he's the focal character BUT something from at least one other team member would've been nice. I get it's an intro trailer, lots to juggle. I understand how these things work. Studio releases 1-Action trailer 2-Story Trailer 3-Blended One with a few new elements of both. I fully believe the next trailer, shown during the summer, is going to be the one to make/break GA minds up. This trailer is accomplishing/will accomplish over the next few months it's purpose....get the film on the masses radar SO that when the Story Trailer debuts it fully captures them.

So much to explore in that next trailer(s): Collector, Ronan, Nova Prime, Nebula, Yondu (who is name dropped on Quills rap sheet) the rest of the GotG team....Thanos?

I give it a 3.5/5 for effectiveness.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it will open well (maybe not big, but better than John Carter) on the goodwill Marvel has earned the past five years with audiences. Whether or not the film has legs (and can appeal to a non-geek audience) will depend strongly on reviews. The things to watch for will be the opening weekend's numbers and the second week drop-off.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess I wasn't expecting such a broad comedic approach (no, haven't read the comics). I find it odd that resonates so well with everyone. It seemed really second-rate Will Smith or Will Farrell stuff. Just needed the guy listening to the music to shake his fist and go "Starrrrrrrrrrr-Lorrrrrrrrd!". I haven't written the movie off bit the trailer wasn't completely successful for me obviously.

15. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I'll definitely be checking out the movie, but the trailer was just ok. Not amazing, not terrible.

16. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope, it wasn't. Sorry.

17. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally I loved it, but I do see the inherent risk that Marvel is taking. This isn't about superheroes but is a space adventure and I have to give them credit for taking this risk and not just churn out another typical superhero flick.

It's hard to say how general audiences will react to this or go at all. It could turn out to be this year's Pacific Rim, loved by genre fans but ignored by non-fan moviegoers who'd rather see garbage like Grown Ups 2.

But if it has crossover appeal, Marvel will have taken a huge leap ahead of DC when it comes to movies. They've done the superhero thing and now they're exploring other avenues. Meanwhile, DC seems obsessed with putting Batman into everything and their big entry into superhero films got pushed back a year. This must be very frustrating for DC fans since there is a rich trove of material to explore. How awesome would a Legion of Superheroes film be?

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OMG, I loved this trailer. This is exactly the kind of movie I love.

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love this comment on the io9 article for the trailer.

I love that Marvel is taking these risks and not just relying on the safe standard superhero story. I hope this movie makes a fortune and other studios realize that there's profit to be had in trailblazing.

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So we want movies to go back to Batman and Robin level silliness?