Mind Meld

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Capt Josh, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Capt Josh

Capt Josh Ensign Red Shirt

I just started rereading John Vornholt's book since it's been a long time and seem to recall that the girl Teska was supposed to be Sybok's daughter but was changed for editorial reasons. Can anybody who has a better memory then me tell me if I'm in the twilight zone or if this was true? What's everyone's impression of the book?

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I posted a similar question not too long ago.

Apparently she is Syboks daughter but Paramount wouldn't let the author confirm it.

The book is OK but not great. A 5/10 job...

3. Capt Josh

Thanks Relayer1 thought that was the case but wasn't sure. I don't remember much about the book since its probably been ten years since I picked it up, lets see if it still holds up

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

IIRC, the anecdote was related by Vornholt in "Voyages of Imagination".

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I asked Vornholt about the relationship between Teska and Sybok last year:
    Vornholt's reply:

6. Capt Josh

I know that Star Trek V was not a popular Trek film especially on this site but do you think that making Teska Sybok's daughter or really making any of the films continuity part of this novel would have been a drag on it? or would that little nod have helped the book?

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I suspect any reservations had more to do with complicating Spock's family tree than with avoiding references to ST V.

As far as I know, there was no policy against using elements from ST V, which is why "God" appears prominently in my Q books . . . .

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^And we are in the process of getting an origin story for Nimbus III aka The Planet of Galactic Peace, in the Vanguard series.

9. Therin of Andor

Then there was Cousin Stephen, the blond Vulcan juggler experimenting with emotions, in "Enterprise: The First Adventure".

10. DrBashir

DrBashir Commander

Also Spock met his human cousins in Planet of Judgement.

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And his human ancestors in "Ishmael."

12. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Still waiting for that to get pulled into the TrekLit universe, by the way. :P

13. Capt Josh

Yeah Spock does seem to have the 6 degrees to Kevin Bacon thing going on :rommie:(although I can see why since he's my favorite character)

I love your Eugenics Wars/Khan books so much can't believe I haven't read your Q books, something soon rectified for sure :)

14. Therin of Andor

Which is why DC Fontana was cranky when Shatner and Loughery were insisting on shoehorning Sybok into ST V. When she was keeper of all things Vulcan on TOS in the 60s, DC wrote a memo urging the writers not to succumb to the yearning to give Spock siblings. She wanted him to remain as unique in the universe as possible.

Would Star Trek V have been just as strong, or stronger, if Sybok had been a revered teacher/mentor of Spock, rather than a wayward, elder, black sheep, half-brother? Certainly, it would have made Gene Roddenberry and DC happier.

15. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt it - it would have been a shitty movie however you set-up that relationship. You can't polish a turd.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Personally I felt Sybok was not one of the film's weaknesses. If anything, he's one of its greatest strengths. Having him be Spock's long-lost half-brother is maybe a greater complication than the film needs, but it works okay. Would the film have been "just as strong" had Sybok been a mentor to Spock instead? Probably, but it might've made their scenes together a bit less resonant and would've made it harder to justify Spock disobeying Kirk's orders and surrendering to Sybok.

17. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.