If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Green Lantern, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you were incharge, what would be in your trek series? When would it be set. Where would it be set?

I myself would enjoy eigther a "third generation" series where they can travel in time. Instead of "space, the final frontier", it'd be "time, the final frontier". For some reason, I love the trek episodes where they travel back in time, or something like there, but hate the doctor who episodes when they go back in time. And as for the cast, I'd go for one of two options.
    A) A captin with a dodgy past trying to make up for his past unsolved crimes, and his brother, an emotionaly unstable rougue tourments him for the whole first series (he's annother crew member) and in the final episode of series one, the two fight it outand presumably kill eachother, then the deputy (sort of annother main character) takes command of the ship for the next series, and in the finale of series two, the antagonist or past captin come back. It'd be a simular relationship between Pichard and Q, but darker, more tense, more serious, and alot more hostile. The series would take a dark tone.
    B) A vulcan is the captin this time, and the second incharge is the main character. At the ens of the first series, the commander would eventully become captin.

So eigther way, the commander would eventully become captin, and the new enterprise would travel in time, plus the fun thing is that it's not just past Earth they go to, they can go to the Klingon planet before they've evolved to what they are today, they could isit the birth of the borg, and even have cross over episodes with the other shows (proberbly not from the origional series, they'll proberbly be too old by then, apart from Spock as he has a longer lifespan) most likely team ups with the cast ofthe next generation. Also, the borg would be the main vilians for the series (like the daleks or cybermen are on dr who, or the manhunters to green lantern). So what would your series be like?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

People from different places with different value systems exploring the cosmos together on a ship named Enterprise.

Add in some big time adventure where the good guy punches the bad guy, saves the universe and gets the girl.

3. Green Lantern

So pretey much the same as the origional series?

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

TOS has been used as a basic template for pretty much all the series. Why try to reinvent the wheel?

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=6251611&postcount=86

6. PopBoy

PopBoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You know, I was thinking about this - i wouldnt mind where they set it. I would like to see the writers really be creative. Consider groundbreaking shows like American Horror Story. Write from the hip. Yes, keep in the framework provided by Gene. But Have every season somehow different. Like what AHS is doing. Or, simply do a Desperate Housewives. The 5 year jump was so simple but the writers got so much out of it. I think sci-fi can truly benefit from stuff like that. Voyager would've been brilliant if we'd jumped 5 years ahead. A marriage or two, Seven settling down, a new actress for Wildman, a new crew-member perhaps and Kim...well he'd stay an ensign (you could invent a subplot where the audience learn Kim was somehow involved in an accident that had given Voyager a few years off of its journey but loss of a crew-member so a demotion was in order).

7. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

For many years I wished for a series which would take of where TNG, DS9 and Voyager ended which would be about a new ship and a new crew but where some of the old favorites from TNG, DS9 and Voyager could show up from time to time.

However, since a long time has gone since those series ended and the actors have moved on to other projects and may not be interested to participate, I only wish for a new series in the 24th century which could take place some years after TNG, DS9 and Voyager ended.

Just no doom and gloom scenario in it, please.

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

What I would like to see is:

Set in 2380, the rebuilding after the war is still continuing, the Quadrant has become very different though, with improved relations with the Cardassians (who were in dire need of help following the war) and the Romulans (after the Shinzon incident).

A ship with a bit of history to it. Nothing fresh off the assembly line but something that has some age to it (I'd love to see an Excelsior- or Ambassador-Class in the role, though that would be very doubtful).

A diverse alien crew, with plenty of extras in the background in make-up (150+ planets make up the UFP, so lets see some of them).

Situations which don't wind up going to red alert and shooting at every species they encounter.

As for the crew:
    - A female Trill Captain, not Joined, in her early-40s
    - A human male, mid-30s, as First Officer, still mourning the loss of his husband
    - A human female Security Chief
    - A man from a new alien species as Science Officer
    - A rookie Cardassian woman serving at either Ops or Conn
    - Not sure about who for Engineer or Doctor (or if other roles such as Counsellor would be included)

9. PopBoy

PopBoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Id love this Bry. Another female captain heading a show? Not sure the studio would dig that - but i'd love this show.

And perhaps have the First Officers husband killed in the Dominion war...which could cause an interesting frisson between your rookie Cardassian ops officer.

10. Bry_Sinclair

I would love to see an alien as Captain of the next series, and I thought we need another woman. As for Trill, its a recognisable species without being too alien in appearance (which could put off potential new viewers).

As for the Cardassian on the bridge, I did consider having her and a Bajoran male at conn/ops but thought that might be a little cliché. But as you said, many of the crew could have a bad reaction to her being onboard, so leads to a lot of tension that could be explored and (hopefully) resolved.

The Cardassian would have to be female though, after all the first Klingon and Ferengi in Starfleet were male, so that needs to be balanced out.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  11. ILOVETREK1701

ILOVETREK1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would want a huge war encompassing the entire quadrant.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

:confused: Huh? Didn't DS9 make a big deal about Nog being the first Ferengi in Starfleet? I can't imagine a female Ferengi would have enough freedom prior to Zek's reforms, (and more likely not Prior to Rom's Nagus-ness) to join Starfleet?

Who were these Female first Klingon and Ferengi, and where does this information come from?

I do like your set up for the premise though

13. Green Lantern

Yeah, my series (see first post) would be set a generation after TNG-DS9.

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I second this.

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Personally, I'd want a series set around 2462 aboard an Enterprise-H. I'd like it to be a bit more daring than previous Trek shows, while still retaining a sense of fun. I'd like it to have a smaller cast of regulars (about five or six), and for them to be more than just their job descriptions. I'd also like to see a wide range of stories from dramatic, to non-stop action, to humorous, to even horrifying. It can still tell stories that offer food for thought, but also have stories about just blowing a lot of :censored: up sometimes.

And while the series can still go about exploring strange new worlds, etc., it also can show life within the Federation and Starfleet too. I'd also be the series where the main characters--including the captain--can be written or killed off if the story demands it.

16. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:vulcan:

17. Bry_Sinclair

Typo.

18. dryjoy

dryjoy Ensign Newbie

I must admit I liked the sound of the 'Star Trek: Federation' idea that was nearly but not pitched to the studio. I like the idea of dealing with a federation that is in decline.

I'd also like to see a series set in the far future, with the 'temporal directive' or whatever it's called in force. Perhaps explore in depth the characters and concepts from the far future that we meet in Enterprise in real depth.

Personally, I like the darker story lines so I'm all for a bit of doom & gloom. I'd like to see more moral ambiguity in Trek.

Perhaps a spin-off series set in 'Section 31'. I guess this could be any era really.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't know. That may be a little too deeply rooted in the old timeline and continuity.

Certainly, I can't imagine that any new show would want to pick up on the Shinzon thing. That's old news--from a movie that most people never saw and many Trekkies are inclined to forget. No way are they going to want to reference NEMESIS, especially years from now when they finally get around to doing a new series.

20. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

Orci thinks otherwise. Countdown did more than just reference NEM.