"Space Command"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral Buzzkill, May 16, 2012.

1. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

D'you think this is a path Polaris could take if the first film is a success, Dennis?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's certainly something I'd look at, yeah. Self-financing is something that I think I only want to do once.

It's possible that with a completed or substantially complete film to show backers we might be able to raise some money this way.

3. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

I love kickstarter, I love what this project is about, so I am in :D

4. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Oh this is at 90% funded with 57 days left to go.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I need to create a kickstarter for my retiremen..., er, pilot episode.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

"Fund my life" is one of the things Kickstarter doesn't allow. :lol:

Yep, Space Command is a little over 6000 bucks away from their goal.

7. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Don't try figuring him out. :rommie:

Space Command looks promising if they really do get some talented veteran actors on board. That would solve the #1 problem I keep seeing in these web series, that the SFX are impressive but the actors just don't come across, either because they're amateurish, or sometimes it might be that their scenes are too bland to really grab you and scream, "you gotta see more of what happens with this guy/girl!!!"

There must be lots of unknown actors out there who could do that, but bringing in someone like Armin Shimmerman or Robert Picardo guarantees that there's at least one person in the scene who will grab the audience's attention and get that vital buzz going.

Compare them with the trailers being released by the networks this week (being upfronts week). They don't really have a lot of "substance" either. All they can do is tease. A great way to tease effectively is to have someone the audience recognizes, doing something colorful and "grabby."

Just look at the attention Revolution is getting now. Frankly, I don't see what the fuss is about, the premise is tired and full of potential logic problems. But they've got Giancarlo Esposito playing a badass warlord! He's already got a solid fan following, and the scenes with him really zing.

Just that one element will at least get the trailer attention, and then it's up to the series to deliver on that promise. Maybe it will fail at that point, but the trailer did what it needed to do.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Apples and oranges - two different ends of the production process. If the would-be producers of NBC's shows tried to sell their pitches to the network on the basis of the trailers you're talking about they'd crash and burn. All the difference in the world between a pitch for a proposed show and a trailer for one that's been produced and purchased.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I wish them well with the production, as it looks likely to happen.

On the other hand, I hope the VFX don't look like the sample stuff, which is overdone and cluttered. The eye doesn't know what to go to. Negative space (that's not a sci-fi term ;) ) is important in shot composition. They need to dial the clutter down from 11. hee hee

11. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

So Maurice gets to say the exact same thing I'm saying without all the faces. Lets' see.. :rofl::scream::vulcan::cardie::lol::rolleyes::confused::devil::evil::alienblush::cardie::alienblush::p.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

This morning it was at $68,000; now it's back down to $61,000. I wonder why that is?

14. Admiral Buzzkill

It looks like they lost a 10,000 dollar backer a couple of hours ago.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Unfortunate, although they're still plugging along quite well. 542 backers and $61,620 at the moment I write this.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

His wife must have found out.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just found out about this a couple days ago, and it definitely sounds interesting. I'm tempted to donate $10 or $15, but I haven't decided yet. I know it's not alot, but I'd love to help out at least a little bit.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Well, they're back up to about 72,000 now.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

According to Zicree, there was some kind of glitch that was straightened out.

20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

And they've meet their goal and a little more. $75, 403.