Tablet games that aren't awful?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Cutter John, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally took the leap and got myself a Galaxy Tab 3. I've quite enjoyed it, but after hearing that smartphone and tablet gaming is the "wave of the future" I've been pretty dissapointed with what I've found so far. No I don't want any crappy "pay for extra ammo, weapons, etc" I just want a playable game that doesn't suck. Particularly tower defense, which I'm quite fond of.

I'm going on a road trip in a couple of weeks so would be quite interested in any good game suggestions. Preferably ones that I can pay for outright and not be nagged to buy extra stars, or coins, or whatever just to progress.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I tend to find that almost all waves of the future are far from it. :)

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I've recently got a Galaxy Tab 3 as well after upgrading from a Tab 7.0 Plus that was having issues, and like you, I haven't really found any good games for it. A lot of tablet games use timer-based gameplay and often require an internet connection (for checking on the latest deals they can try to sell you) which isn't always feasable if you're on the road and can only use wifi. That said, I use my tablet more for utility apps than for gaming.

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Is Oceanhorn not available for android? Deus Ex?

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe look for some board game apps? Other than that, I'd recommend installing an emulator for your favourite retro system. 99% of mobile games are horrible and the remaining 1% never rise above mediocre.

6. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

I agree with the board game suggestion. I've been enjoying the iOS version of Ticket to Ride recently.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite games for my iPad are Real Solitaire and Dariusburst.

8. Cutter John

Hmm, maybe thats the problem. All the good tablet games are Apple exclusives.

9. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I play Solitaire Classic more than anything else on my Android-based device - it has one ad when you fire it up and a banner ad that doesn't interfere with the game area, and that's it, so not bad. Other than it, every once in a while I will fire up one of the free versions of the Angry Birds games. There IS a little advertising but it isn't obnoxious, and there's a lot of fun gameplay available in the free versions without upgrading to paid ones.

I'll be glad when MiniCiv (an Android port of the game Civilization) is ready, but it is still at Alpha. Or at least I think I'll be glad - but really, playing something that takes that long to finish a game doesn't fit the profile of how I game with my device. Usually I just pull something up while I'm waiting on something else to happen that I can quit out of without feeling too invested.

10. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

Depends what you consider awful I suppose. :)
    I've got a Tab 2 10.1, and found these games quite good, none are tower defense though:
    Riptide GP 1 and 2 (a bluetooth controller like icontrolpad works great with them)
    Plague Inc.
    Tesla's Electric Mist 1,2,3
    Yesterday
    Vector
    New Orbit
    Steambirds
    Destroy Gunners
    Oscura
    Wargames:WOPR
    Osmos

11. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

iOS does have a much better selection of games than Android.

12. Owain Taggart

13. Cutter John

Thanks for the titles Wildstar and Owain. I'll look for those.

So far I've gotten a game thats just called Tower Defense, another TD game based on Night of the Living Dead, and a space adventure called Galaxy on Fire 2. I like GoF, even though its a bit glitchy, and the touchscreen joystick makes me want to punch a baby.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  14. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

GoF looks cool. Like the old Elite game.
    I hope it can use a bluetooth controller, I hate onscreen controls.

15. Cutter John

Ticket to Ride isn't really my thing I'm afraid. Not really into online gaming.

Having played similar Flash games, I grabbed Plague Inc. last night for $2. It's an enjoyable game, even though I've yet to win a level. Even broke down and bought the Zombie virus expansion. Yes, it has a bunch of "add this special bonus for only $.99!" nonsense, but at least it isn't too intrusive.

Tesla's Electric Mist is downloaded and ready to be tried out.

Destroy Gunners was total BS. When I started the game, all I got was a "You need a _______ account to play" pop up, with no actual link as to how to actually get one. So "Delete".

I'll be checking out some of the others on Wildstars list.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  16. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

With the caveat that I don't know if they are available on Android....

Knight Defense is a fun cross between tower defense and chess.
    Infinity Blade 2 is fun (I haven't played 1&3).
    Jetpack Joyride is entertaining.

17. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I work at an online game company and 99.9% of the games on mobile (including tablets) suck. They are just bad games. That said, mobile developers are limited because of the fact that there is no option to have a physical controller for your average player... you have to make games (for the average player) that users must use their finger/tablet pen for. It sounds like it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but it is. I have an iPad, but to be honest...I only use it to watch Netflix and YouTube. For games, I use my console systems or do PC games.

So even if you do have an AMAZING game, you are limited to the fact that the user must user their finger/pen and not a controller.

Then after that, you have the fact that nearly anyone and their mother can upload games to the android app store (iOs is more strict). Most games you find are rip-offs, fads, and bad replicas of games that have been made already.

You CAN find decent games. Search for games you know you already like or, you mentioned you like tower defense, maybe go online and google "best tower defense games for tablets" etc.

Since I play most of my games on PC or console, I don't have much advice of which particular games, but I do know the industry and it is SATURATED with bad games. It takes much less money and man-power to make a mobile/tablet game than it does to make a console game. That is one of the reasons why there are SO MANY of them and why most of them suck.

18. Owain Taggart

See, this sounds like it would be the perfect avenue for adventure games, so I'm surprised that developers haven't gone in that direction yet. The two would compliment each other so nicely and allow for a minimalistic interface.

Oh, that reminds me to ask you,Cutter, which size did get? 7", 8", or "10? I have the 7".

19. Cutter John

Exactly. There are plenty of point and click style games that would work just fine on tablets. I'm actually a pc gamer almost exclusively. I just want a few good tablet games as time killers on the bus and for an upcoming road trip that are more than just "tap the shiny icons".

I honestly get the impression that most "game designers" are more interested in designing micro transations money generators that they are providing an actual good game.

20. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

A few that I've enjoyed:

Waking Mars - exploration and puzzle based platformer, with an astronaut encountering bizarre ecosystems in a martian cave system

QuestLord - retro-styled RPG

Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor - you're an actual spider, chasing down various bugs that require different tactics

Might want to keep an eye on the Humble Bundle site, they sometimes have some good Android bundles.

if you want old adventures, install ScummVM and you can play old Lucasarts and Sierra games (have to supply them yourself, but there are a bunch on steam and gog these days)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014