Speculation: Must the villain be Gary Mitchell, or... ?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by los2188, Oct 15, 2012.

1. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

I recently saw the, what I assume is a legit "Into Darkness" poster with Cumberbatch on it, so it piqued my interest a little bit. When it comes to TOS TV episodes I am certainly a fan, but it's been YEARS....at least a good 20 years since I've actually sat down and watched them all because I was so into the TOS movies and then TNG era stuff. So I looked into and read about Gary Mitchell. Now I've read some things here and there about the villain being Gary Mitchell, but after reading it, I can't see how anyone could think otherwise. I mean am I crazy, wrong, or just....whatever, but is there honestly anyone else that it could be? I know Khan's been suggested, which I would really hate, and even I posed the question of it being Kirk's brother, but with everything I read about him, the Academy, bad feelings, and super-human like powers...I don't see how it couldn't be Gary Mitchell. Am I missing any other possible villain?

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Why assume it's someone we've seen before?

Also, some folks really don't want to know who may or may not be in the movie. A less specific thread title might be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012
  3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

This poster? It's fan art - something made from what looks like the same image seen on a Cumberbatch wallpaper here. We've had a couple of threads about it already.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Every shapeshifting/magic alien we've ever seen. Trelane (who also resembles Koloth!), Captain Garth, the Talosians... and many more.

5. los2188

Very true. Good point. I don't know...just from what I've read about Gary Mitchell....it just...I don't know....feels right. It seems like a "cool and hip" JJ Abrams kind of story to me, but as my thread title says, it's just speculation of course. Looks like I need to go back to Trek TOS TV class. I'm going to watch all of them. Can you tell me....what are your top 10 favourite TOS episodes. I might watch them first...

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I'm not sure why everybody is so convinced that they're bringing back an old villain. KHAN was really the only TOS film that did that, unless you count the Borg in FIRST CONTACT and even there they introduced a new villain in the form of Alice Krige.

Maybe (gasp!) it's new plot with a new antagonist.

7. los2188

I REALLY hope you're right. I would love to see a new bad guy. Khan was great, but that's done and over. Leave it alone. Gary Mitchell???? Meh.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I thought Orci had said the villain was a character we've seen from TOS?

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

If the villain is portrayed well, then who cares whether it's Mitchell, Khan, or the Tribble Emperor?

It's not the character that counts, it's what is done with that character.

10. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

What are you, mad? We can't have logic and reason here!

11. PPatters

PPatters Boimler sun, Garak moon, Jadzia rising Fleet Captain

Whether or not he was being honest, he had said specifically that Cumberbatch was portraying a character already established in canon. Though that could mean any numbers of things.

12. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

:lol:

Now you know that the Tribble Emperor will open up as big a can of worms as the Borg Queen. Bigger maybe! It does have a nice ring to it though ...

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

"My PEOPLE are my weapons! We shall suffocate your eco-systems!! Bow before our mighty multiplying!!"

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a mixture of Mitchell and Khan created by a transporter accident.

Mitchellkhan.

15. teacake

Wow Set, that brings up so many possibilities.. and frees the casting up quite a bit!

16. Therin of Andor

Because Bob Orci did say, ages ago, that at least one villain in the movie was to be a canonical TOS character. But, of course, that might not be Benedict Cumberbatch's character.

17. Therin of Andor

Or, a Khan taught the wonders of shapeshifting by the Thasians, Kelvans or Antosians?

18. teacake

You really want shape shifters, don't you.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why assume there has to be a dedicated villain? Some of the best episodes of Trek don't have a villain. TOS's City of the Edge of Forever, TNG's Darmok, Inner Light, DS9's the Vistor.

I highly doubt Abrams would take such an approach given the cliche action heavy style of the last movie, but it's a possibility.

20. teacake

I want the villain to be.. time.