STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I expect a very public disbanding may a part of Section 31's plans. Marcus is far too easy with throwing around Section 31's name, even if he did think those he told were never coming back. How does he know they didn't send off an email about it prior to their planned deaths?

But if it disbands there will be speeches full of Roddenberry ideals about not losing what makes us human as we try and preserve humanity blah blah and everyone will pat themselves on the back and Section 31 will continue, more covert than ever.

2. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

they operate outside of federation/starfleet jurisdiction and recruit/influence people like marcus.

3. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i saw it again tonight, with a packed sold out theater. Something didn't even hit me before. I now know how Spock Prime told NuSpock how they beat Khan. Once again, Khan is taken out by a torpedo. Of all the Trek II references, that one went completely over my head the first time.

4. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Seen the movie twice now, A+

It is better than the first one, the issues I had with the first one are mostly gone, still some slight issues with the bud wiser plant stuff, but much improved over the first one. That's my only complaint really. I felt this movie had more substance, and a better story. I also enjoyed the myriad of filming locations and scenes this time. I really liked the parts off the ship, on Earth, very nicely done. I enjoyed making the Enterprise a star of the show, like it is an actual character to the show. I enjoyed all the homages of course.

Yep, much better than the first one, I'll be seeing it a couple more times at least, plan to go see it with my sister and a friend tomorrow, can't wait to see their reactions.

5. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    It seemed to me that Marcus himself, started Section-31, after he found Khan in this Trek Universe.

Up to the point that the Narada showed up, it didn't seem likely that Section-31 would have been needed, again, in the JJ-universe.

6. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I think it existed before, he just took over it now, i.e. the man in charge right now. It sounded like to me it was there before him from this movie.

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Nah. 31 is around in Enterprise. They get their hooks into Reed.

8. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Well, since Enterprise is the only series still existing in this universe I would go with what was established on that show about Section 31 unless it was directly contradicted on screen. Section 31 actually predates the Federation.

ETA: Damn, you're all too fast for me.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Section 31 is around right now.

10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Shh!!! You'll blow our cov…oops. I've said too much already. :shifty: :lol:

11. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

did anyone find it a little ironic that when Kirk's five year mission ends it will be around the same time in the "Prime" reality, Kirk started his?

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ironic? No. It wouldn't be irony. It is a nice little tidbit of trivia, though.

14. mattman8907

yeah it just kinda came to me.

15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I saw Star Trek Into Darkness. I thought the 2009 film was better.

16. mattman8907

17. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Just saw the movie. I had the impression that a scene or two was deleted from early in the movie.

18. Tai

Tai Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^This is brilliant.

To layer the conspiracy even further one could picture a Section 31 that saw Marcus getting a little too power hungry and decided to cut Khan loose to expose him and have the problem take care of itself.

If a war with the Klingons ensued as a result of the chaos, then that's what they wanted all along anyway.

19. mattman8907

im going to snatch the novel on tuesday. see what was missing from the movie.

20. Tai

Tai Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm wondering about the motives of Section 31 and how it relates to the third film. On reflection it seems that the Klingons would be the obvious choice of villians in the next film. They have every justification to declare war on the Federation given that Starfleet agents violated their space, landed on their homeworld, murdered dozens of their men and destroyed 3 ships.

Could you imagine if a Klingon raiding party just beamed down to Australia and killed a bunch of people in retaliation and just left?

Kirk's actions in this movie alone seems like provocation enough for the Klingons.