Bacon Foil

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by teacake, Sep 28, 2012.

1. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I wonder what the nutritional benefit of eating vegetarians is...

2. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

:drool: unprocessed bacon :drool:

I (kinda) like the idea of bacon processed in such a way that it can be rolled up.

And while you're inventing that, do also invent rolls of more ordinary (~1 inch wide) bacon!
    This type can then be cut in lengths that fit your frying pan and momentary need.

And, of course, a new fridge-attachment could be added: on the inside the roll of bacon is stored - in the door there's the frying attachment - and on the outside of the door there's the keypad where you type in how long a strip of freshly fried bacon you want -and the dispenser :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
    teacake likes this.
  3. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

My sister and her boyfriend had been vegetarians for roughly a decade, when one night, a late nite television commercial for a locals chain's new Bacon Cheeseburger made them crack. It was, in particular, the allure of bacon which seduced them, and which ultimately saved them from a life of vegetarianism.

Ya know, I've noted that those who adopt vegetarianism on moral grounds; because they feel it's wrong to kill sensitive living things, tend to be the very same people who talk to their house-plants. Anyone else see a huge disconnect there?

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I don't know, but they sure are delicious.

5. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

You want fries with that?

6. trekkiedane

^Nah, but make it with X-tra bacon!

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Wait a minute...

How's this...genetically-engineered swine that are already precooked bacon? People cringe at the idea of an Island of Dr. Moreau, but if it were crawling with pre-cooked pigs that smell wonderful you'd change your minds awfully fast.

8. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

You just invented something that already exists, sorry. Kinda.

In Vitro Meat

Get used to the idea.

9. cooleddie74

Ah. Well, then.

I guess I yield the floor.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

To be honest it DOES sound like a good idea and I'm sure I could think of numerous good ways to do it. The first idea that comes to mind is a thin sheet of flavorless gelatin that's been exposed to smoke and treated with the same seasonings and flavors bacon is cured with, the gelatin is exposed to this while in a liquid state where it is then spread out very thin, allowed to set, and that should leave you with a substance that has a taste similar to bacon but is also not perishable, not a meat product (thus the rising costs of pork bellies would not be an issue) could serve the purposes of being a barrier for cooking and the only "flavor" it would inject into the cooking food if it liquefies during cooking would be the bacon-like flavor of it. Though the gelatin would likely make some impact on the texture and consistency of the food. This certainly wouldn't work for things like cookies.

Unless it's possible to make the bacon-gelatin to withstand fairly low oven temps and still remain in a gel state but not so much so as to not give up the bacon-like flavors.

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

In vitro meat or vat-grown meat or some other kind of artificial meat is fine with me, as long as it's "close enough" to the original flavor and doesn't cost a fortune.

12. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Mr Silver, this is an argument you can't win. People who like bacon really like bacon.

It's an 'agree to disagree' moment, let it go.

13. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

bacon aspic "fruit rolls?". genius!

14. cooleddie74

Bacon is so incredible it might very well have the power to propel an experimental spacecraft beyond the light barrier. Screw a controlled and channeled matter-antimatter annihilation...strips of crispy bacon will be the fuel that will take mankind into deep space. Countless swine would give their lives, but to advance the human species to the stars and give us awesome breakfasts and snacks along the way?

Totally worth it.

15. trekkiedane

If that were so We'd never get deep into space! -find me one man that won't eat his bacon but instead put it in the tank!

16. cooleddie74

I'd let NASA have any leftover bacon that managed to drop down to room temperature...but only after I took a bite out of each strip. ;)

17. trekkiedane

But in a universe where bacon was the equivalent to anti-matter in ours, Scotty would be Jabba the Hutt-fat and his catchphrase would be something like: "I cannae change the appetites of man cap'n!".

18. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    I cannae reach the button, sir!

How about a bacon air freshener?

19. trekkiedane

^That wouldn't be new.

20. cooleddie74

I forgot to mention that I had a big plate of cheese fries last night...and they had bacon sprinkled on and spread throughout them. Thick, hot, stringy cheese. Steak fries. Chunks of fresh bacon. It was a snackgasm.