Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I put torches all over my caves, too. Whenever I feel like I'm lost deep inside a cave system, I dig my way to the surface and set up a lighted entrance so I can find it again in the future. I need to make signs so I can label routes within the mines, though. Too easy to get lost as it is.

2. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, signs are a damn good idea. I wasn't carrying enough wood on my last subterranean expedition to make good use of them, but I definitely will next time.

3. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No kidding;)

I was trying to clear a tree out of the way so I could build a house. I decided to set it on fire instead of taking it apart, cube by cube.

Anyways, this happened: :lol:
    [​IMG]
    Whoops!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  4. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

i've only played the freebie version *with a laptop keyboard and control pad, I think i'm gonna buy a USB mouse* and the way I tend to play is to strip mine and then build up a fancy base

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait, very low graphics AND ressource intensive? LOL.

6. Robert Maxwell

...and your point is?

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That I'll better stick to games with much better graphics and no framerate issues. ;)

8. Robert Maxwell

Suit yourself. I think you're missing out, but to each his own.

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do you know any other games that can procedurally generate a world up to 8 times the surface area of the Earth and that allow you to completely reshape that world to your liking? The game has performance issues because a) it's in alpha and performance issues are normally cleaned up in beta, and b) it does more than most other games on the market.

Fair enough.

For those that haven't played the game and aren't shallow enough to let the graphics put them off, the game is entering beta on the 20th, so if you want to buy the game, buy it now. Once it's in beta, not only will the price go up, but you'll have to pay for any additional DLC that comes out post release, while alpha purchasers will get it all free because of the poorly worded terms on the site. :p It's only €10/$15, so you're almost certain to get your money's worth from it.

10. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, I paid under $15 for it and it's money well spent. Certainly a better value than most retail games.

11. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

Meh. I play it on my netbook with no real issues. It's not that intensive, unless you're playing on a 6 year old machine.

12. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Ok, I can see why this game can be addictive. I finally got around to buying it and started playing a little while ago.

Spent my first night in a nice little hole I dug in the mountain to get some stone. It was starting to get dark, so I sat back and watched... things starting to move around in the distance. And make noise. I plopped down some of the stone I had to seal off the entrance and continued to watch though the little opening over the naturally dug hole in front of my little cave

And then something dropped down the hole right in front me and scared the crap out of me! :eek: I stayed as still as I could the rest of the night.

Finally, light started coming, so I decided to see what had scared the crap out of me earlier. And ended up falling down the hole right in front of it. It then proceeded to quickly and efficiently kill me.

:lol:

13. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Today is Beta-day.. :)

14. TheGodBen

Does the beta bring any big changes or is it just bringing minor fixes? In fact, has there been any big updates recently on the singleplayer side of things?

I stopped playing about a month ago and I haven't been following update news since then. I'm sure I'll go back to it in the new year, this does seem like the sort of game that I'll be playing on and off until I get a computer that is too advanced to run it.

15. Robert Maxwell

I believe getting to beta was all about getting the MP functionality working. Now that it's in beta Notch has talked about working on the single player experience.

I'm still wanting more customization in terms of how things look, like colored cloth blocks. I'm also hoping there will be a substantial modding capability so people can add new mobs, biomes, block types, craftables, etc. To me, that would make this an endlessly extensible game.

16. TheGodBen

[​IMG]

Apparently, you can now throw the eggs. :D

17. Robert Maxwell

You can throw the eggs? Do they do anything when you throw them? It would be funny if Creepers had a fatal allergy to eggs or something. :lol:

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Or better yet, Creepers are attracted to broken eggs so you can bait them in traps or distract them while you make a run for it! ;)

I wouldn't mind a better tool for extensive tunnel digging like a drill or a laser or something. Just to cut down on the time it takes to dig out large projects. Just to make it a challenge to build and not too much of a game breaker it'd have to require some difficult to acquire ingredients...like say a diamond, a fair bit of iron and perhaps some redstone and/or a furnace for power.

19. Robert Maxwell

Or make it easier to obtain TNT for mass blasting. :lol:

(No, I have not yet built a Creeper trap. Maybe I should?)

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I built one and sealed myself in the "receiving slot" and left the program running all night. Had about 4 and a half full stacks of gunpowder by morning. Still, TNT isn't that useful for digging as it only takes a chunk about 4-6 blocks deep.