Firefly reunion documentary

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by T'Cal, Jul 11, 2012.

1. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Entertainment Weekly announced that a documentary of Firefly is being filmed for its 10th anniversary to be aired on the Science Channel on Nov. 11th. I would've preferred a MFTV movie but perhaps this will generate interest for such a venture.

2. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I suppose it's better than nothing, and I'll certainly enjoy hearing what the actors, writers, directors, and Just Joss have to say about their experiences.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought for sure this was going to be a Kickstarter announcement.

4. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

It's been 10 years already????

5. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd prefer a new movie, too. But, yeah, maybe this project will create enough buzz to bring them back in a new adventure.

Sean

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

If they're not careful, the documentary will be longer than the series.

If there were new adventures, would you want them set after Serenity, or before so certain characters could be used?

7. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

CRAP...why the Science Channel? I would have to pay an extra $50 a month for that band of channels on my cablesystem.

Stuff like this used to be on the now rather lame SyFy. This is almost as annoying as the History Channel moving its good shows (and leaving us with shit like pickers and ice road truckers and other reality crap) to the Military Channel, of course on the same band as Science Channel.

I hope when I move that we have a better cable system. :p

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Everything you said is EXACTLY why I no longer watch cable (or broadcast TV of ANY kind). I wait for everything I want to see on DVD.

I hope this comes out that way. The Captains did, after all.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm not surprised it's going to be on Science. Seems like every time I turn that channel on they're airing an episode of Firefly.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I look forward to it.

Browncoats Forever!

:techman:

11. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Why in the hell would Joss Whedon need Kickstarter if he really wanted to do a Firefly project?

If he wants to do something, and it would be economically viable to do so (which is highly debatable), he'll do it. He doesn't need Internet Kidz' weed money to get it going.

We probably won't see another Firefly project. The cast is ten years older, Joss has moved on to bigger and better things, and the property never really did make anyone a ton of money. The Serenity movie actually _lost_ money. How does that movie pitch go? "Well, we did this really kookie space western show ten years ago that got cancelled after a dozen episodes, and then we made a movie based on the TV show because a lot of people on the Internet bought the DVDs and we thought there was a market for it, but it didn't make back what we put into it financially so now we want to make another go at it."

Browncoats don't want to look at the situation that way, but it is what it is. Firefly isn't Star Trek. Pray for more comics or a novel or something, it's more realistic.

12. Mr. Adventure

I didn't assume Joss had anything to do with this. The title Firefly reunion documentary just sounded like a fan project to me.

13. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just so. After Avengers made lots of monies, Whedon probably could bring Firefly back as another movie or TV show if that's what he wants, but I figured he's done with it and this is basically a tenth year anniversary special.

14. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

According to this, Whedon, and some cast and crew are doing a panel at SDCC which will be filmed for the hour long doc and called Browncoats Unite!

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

20th Century Fox Television still owns the television rights. Good luck ever getting them to let go.

16. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

I saw the SDCC Firefly panel with most of the cast as well as writers and, of course, Mr. Whedon. After the huge success he had with The Avengers, he should be able to pick and choose whatever project he'd like to work on next. Why not this pet project??

17. PsychoPere

Oh, I don't know, maybe for the very simple reason that neither 20th Century (Firefly tv rights) nor Universal (Serenity movie rights) are likely to be interested in attempting to revive for the third time a franchise that already failed twice.

18. Mr. Adventure

I'm sure Firefly will always have a special place in Whedon's heart but I doubt he's looking to come back to it. Serenity probably satisfied most of that anyway. I can't read his mind or anything but I think this would be a smart time to tackle something new while the iron is hot, I'd imagine another big screen movie. I do hope he comes back to TV someday though as I think he has a special knack for it.

19. PsychoPere

During his reddit AMA in April, a user suggested Joss use Kickstarter to raise funds to purchase the Firefly rights. This was his response:

20. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Resurrecting the thread to remind everyone of the Firefly special airing tomorrow, 11/11 on Science.