(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I think we will see an Arsenal vs. Barcelona final at this rate, I don't see Chelsea beating Barca and Liverpool are totally dead now. I would hope Bentiez would learn that zonal marking SUCKS 100%.

2. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. Two shocking defeats in a row. Well the good news for Klinsy is he has a house not too far from here. Weather's nice all year round. Next year he won't have to suffer those rainy German winters.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

We owe Barca big time, we never got to see if they could beat us 11 vs 11. (I still say to this day that I would have taken the goal rather than the red card)

4. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chelsea Vs Arsenal final for my money.

Like Man Utd last season, Chelsea will be able to cope with their attack and reply with interest.

Hopefully Arsenal will be the latest team to deny Chelsea in the final.....

5. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

There was a strong following of fans at Ninian Park last night who all agreed they want to see Arsenal win it this year. Once Eddie Johnson scored our fourth it was all we had to talk about really :D

6. TheArsenal

Here in the States, you get to see Barca play every weekend. So I do. I wouldn't mind a little revenge myself - since we all know that goal was offside - and a healthy Arsenal can beat anyone in the world on their day. But given a choice, no thank you.

7. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, Manchester City. Thanks for cheering me up!

And we can have a big laugh at Spurs for sacking Jol too.

:guffaw:

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Did Cardiff play midweek? I hadn't noticed :)

9. HappyDayRiot

For about 60 minutes we did yes!

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

La la la, I'm not listening :)

Actually after beating Sheff Wednesday yesterday I'm feeling a lot calmer, so losing midweek doesn't seem so bad. Another point or two would be nice but I reckon we're pretty safe now.

Looks like the top 6 are pretty secure as well, barring a horoendous loss of form, it's just a question of who finishes where. I think Wolves will hang on in the top spot, but second place is still up for grabs--do you think you have much chance of grabbing it? You really need Birmingham to slip up (as they did yesterday) but it isn't impossible.

11. Angel4576

That's about 59 minutes longer than we played for! :lol:

Still, a win yesterday against Wednesday seems to have all but sealed our survival. That's all that we've had to play for for the last few months.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'll still feel safer with a point or two more...can't wait for next season now!

13. HappyDayRiot

Do I think we'll get second? No. I'll be happy to finish in whatever position means we play Reading in the play-offs. That said, I'm not sure how strong Burnley are at the moment but we play them tomorrow so I'll soon find out.

The play-offs are going to kill me, but I can't see us getting second. I think best case scenario would be for Sheffield to steal second and dump Brum in with us, given how badly they've been playing since... August. I'd be far more confident against them and/or Reading than Sheffield and/or Burnley.

14. HappyDayRiot

Alright my hopes for avoiding the play-offs may yet be on. I'm not sure exactly how well either team played today, but I do know Brum and Reading continue to bleed points and if we win our game in hand we're only one point behind Brum in second with 3 to play, against Ipswich, Wednesday and Preston. So maybe if we win at least 3 of those 4... maybe.

Sheffield have Burnley, Palace and Swansea, and Brum have Watford, Preston and a last day game against Reading. Our run-in looks quite good I suppose - Watford will be gagging for points and Swansea will be still be gunning for 6th... it's going to be last day drama that's for sure, and Preston will have a massive say in proceedings.

15. Angel4576

Our defence is awful. I'd be tempted to get rid of the lot of them in the summer and start again.

Midfield, fine. Up front, fine. With the likes of Addison, Green and Davies to come back from injury I don't think we have any problems in either of those departments.

In defence, woeful, truly woeful.

I'd be inclined to keep Connolly but the rest, get rid. Todd, McEveley, Albrechtsen, Nyatanga, Stewart etc, just not good enough.

Pulled our usual trick yesterday; rubbish start, turned it around, and then failed to capitalise, spurning numerous chances to go 3-1 up, only to then pay the price with our keystone cops defenders playing up again.

Still, Forest are in the relegation zone, so not a completely horrible day's results......

16. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Jesus, Liverpool up 2-0 at the half.

Edit: Update on that score, 2-2 now.

Edit: 4-4 in a humdinger of a game. Wow, what a show.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I think its clear where Clough's summer work will be centered...maybe a midfielder--depending who leaves--but I doubt we'll get another striker in unless someone bids silly money for Commons/Hulse and we have to replace them. Could we see a totally new back four? Possibly. I do think Connelly is worth hanging onto, as is Alby, and if he can stay fit I'd include Leacock as well (when he's confident he is a brilliant defender)

There will definitely be more out than in in the summer though (I hope)

18. TheArsenal

Now that was entertainment. I was never sure Liverpool were out of it until the bitter end.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

What I saw of the game was entertaining, but ITV seemed obsessed with showing shots of the Liverpool fans swapping between crying and cheering while the commentators gushed about how great they are.

Apparently, one of the reasons they are so great is because they bring flags to games - says Clive Tyldesley as he ignores the hundreds of Chelsea supporters waving flags.

Everyone in football has all the sympathy in the world for Liverpool right now, but they don't need Tyldesley and co making out that their fans are somehow "special". Every team has passionate fans.

20. HappyDayRiot

I do my best to watch most ITV games on mute.