Charting the Novel-verse

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, May 26, 2010.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And I was thinking that it fit better on yours, as the 'successor' to The Trek Collective.

Though I agree the more its out there the more it can get used, as it really is the most useful tool out there for understanding the modern continuity for a beginner.

Heck, Pocket should put it, or something similar on the inside cover of their books!

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

For what it's worth, I remain so glad that my creation has been useful, and fully intend to update it in the next few months. Life has been rather busy lately, and for the most recent iterations we discussed the changes together but 8of5 added them to the file, which I don't actually have. So I'll have to build it from scratch, but it's the kind of project I love, so I'll totally get there. When I do, I know who to send it to!

I was thinking I might wait until we get some word about next year's books, so it can stand for a while again...

tgiokdi and RonG like this.
  3. ryan123450

Good idea. Hopefully we'll be updated on what's coming soon. It's been quite a while since any news, apart from Discovery.

4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Wouldn't mind seeing WIP versions in addition to awaiting next year book announcements.

5. Picard87

Picard87 Cadet Newbie

For me, it's the most important source to get along with the LitVerse. Thanks again to you for creating and updating it! (and to 8of5 of course!)
    That's great news! :)
    good idea! In the comments below the chart are a few comments, maybe you could include them in the chart.

Anyway, looking very much forward to an updated version!

Leto_II, Markonian and ryan123450 like this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does Crisis of Consciousness have any connections to the novelverse? I noticed it isn't on the reading guide site.
    I can't really think of anywhere to ask this, and I don't feel like starting a new thread so I'll just ask my other question here.
    Has Admiral Kennelly from Ensign Ro ever been connected to Section 31? I just rewatched the episode this morning, and his actions seemed like the kind of thing 31 would do.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ooh, I hope not. I'm not fond of the tendency to make Section 31 responsible for every single bad thing that anyone in the Federation ever does. Surely they can't be the only people in the entire Federation capable of doing anything disreputable. And as I discussed in Patterns of Interference, the only way a conspiracy could stay hidden effectively for a long time is to keep its activities to a minimum, to act only when it has to. The conceit of a conspiracy so huge that it's behind every bad thing ever, yet somehow able to remain hidden despite all that, is self-contradictory.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I don't really want to put them behind every bad or questionable thing the Federation has ever done, but Kennelly's actions specifically seemed to me like something 31 would do.

9. ryan123450

I must have never heard of anything connecting it, though off the top of my head I'm not sure which novel it is. I get alot of the recent standalone TOS novels confused. Plus I've never read it. If there is some link I would add it to the list.

10. Trekfan12

Trekfan12 Captain Captain

I wonder if there are any plans for more TOS or now that Discovery has premiered there will be more books involving that series? Just wondering I am a big TOS fan.

11. ryan123450

I can’t imagine why they would stop now. Even the new Discovery novel is actually a Shinzou/ Pike-Enterprise crossover.

Leto_II and Markonian like this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe the TOS books are still the bestselling Trek books, so I doubt they will be going anywhere.

Markonian and Trekfan12 like this.
  13. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Maybe they’ll be able to do more crossovers, like in the 24th series.

14. Wagnergrad96

Wagnergrad96 Ensign Red Shirt

I just read the book FOUL DEEDS with the Lenore Karidian character. Other than the main plot, which was completely generic and has probably been done in a dozen other Trek Books, I liked how Lenore's character was handled.

15. Wagnergrad96

Wagnergrad96 Ensign Red Shirt

I am frustrated at the shrinking selection at my local book store!

Trekfan12 likes this.
  16. Devon Flyer

Devon Flyer Cadet Newbie

Hi everyone, I have been lurking for a short while and decided to take the plunge. Hope this is the right thread to post this, if not admin please do move accordingly. Sadly I am a bit of a technophobe and only get in the library twice a week for an hour or two, so forgive and questions that have findable answers on here. I do not have time to read and search all so your help is very much appreciated. This may turn out to be a long first post.

I am a huge Voyager am re-watching the series and I am up to Season 6. I have found the idea of delving into the 'Lit-verse' very daunting, wondering to where to start. I understand I can just begin with Homecoming or Full Circle but I want the bigger picture from the relaunch.

I will have some questions later about certain books but I have formulated a plan of how I want to approach everything, please do shoot me down for the possible silliness of it but it has made me get at least 30 books do far and am ready to dive in.

I have a plan to some chronological aspects of the Lit-verse (Vanguard and the likes confuses me at the moment as I don't know what that is!). My own plan is called The Lit-verse Chronoworks (Voy-ish nod!). As soon as I watch Endgame I will read Homecoming and Shore, to get them out of the way and then jump to the recommended re-launch start point of A Time to.... Here is my approach in steps of priority. I am looking at everything from the point of after Endgame and have some silly was of approaching others aspects of the books:

1. Voyager Re-launch Books
    My main goal. Starting with Homecoming. If I find the Lit-verse tough at all, I will concentrate on this. My viewpoint begins from here as if it were actually happening now.

2.. Voyager Pre-launch Books
    As it states. The pre re-launch Voyager books. Number, unnumbered and episodic releases. My viewpoint is that these are holo-deck recreations used for training purposes.

3. Voyager Referenced Books
    For the likes of Christine Vale. If I find a anything referenced in a previous book, I will add that to list. As it would be people, places and starships, this would be crew/ship manifests on Voyagers computer.

4. Next Generation Books
    My 2nd favourite series of all of them. The numbered and unnumbered. These are from the viewpoint of Captain Picard's logs. As accessed on Voyager's computer. (Told you! Silly!)

5. The Trek Universe Books
    This is all the other books I can buy apart from those listed below. So, TOS, DS9, TAS (?), ENT and I will also be researching the likes of Vanguard et all.

6. Discovery Books
    Not much to say here of course. I will read these books as they are released and places at the end of my book shelf as I host my books in publication order. As these are publications that will come out in the future from now, if you follow me, these are Starfleet mission texts sent to the Captain (Me?!) to read as requested when I am researching previous missions.

7. Kelvin Books
    Again, not much to say about the Kelvin Bookline. Two books to read and no release of Beyond. I can't access this on Prime - Voyager computers as there is no record due to Kelvin timeline of course. (Yes, even sadder, I know. This is just a way for me to breakdown all the daunting books released and have sections I can dip in and out of). Having thought though perhaps the viewpoint can be personal logs of the Discovery crew that have somehow made there way to Voyagers computer in the Prime Universe.

8. Miscellaneous Books
    Weird one I know but using this section for variations on books I may have For instance the teen (Any better word?) versions of First Contact and Insurrection. Though I do not know of any other books like this with out research. My rather tenuous viewpoint is this are memories assimilated by Seven of Nine when SHE was young. Hence the younger viewpoint.

Still with me? Have I forgotten any angles? I do have a few questions that I hope you can help with. Not in any particular order.

Does The Doctor and Janeway appear as they do in the films in the books? Is it worth getting the young versions of these to appease my completest side?!?

I notice The Sky the Limit has some post Nemesis parts, Wikipedia has this after Q&A, is that right?

Should I read The Nanotech Wars, the three String Theory books and (what is..) Distant Shores BEFORE continuing down the lit-line after I have read HC and TFS?/A Time to..

Well, sorry for the long post but I had to do this so I can take the plunge. While I know there are answers on this forum already and understanding that Memory Alpha/Beta is your friend, considering my limited time online, any help would be very welcome. What a great forum this is.

17. ryan123450

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be honest if all you're really interested in is VOY, you could probably just get away with just the VOY-R books. Other than Destiny they are pretty much off on their own, so there are no direct connections to them and the other Relaunch books.

Vanguard takes place at around the same time as TOS, and takes place on space station in a new region. The main arc follows the crew of the station and a handful of ships as they investigate a new discovery made in the region and deal with Klingons, Romulans, Tholians, and a hostile race that used to control the region and has a connection to one of the familiar races.

Sounds good.
    The books have to be consistent with all of the characters' appearances, so they do follow on from what we see in the movies and shows. The only EMH who appeared in the movies was the Enterprise-E's, so that has no impact on the VOY-R books, but we do see Janeway as an Admiral in all of the books after Nemesis.

I don't know about Distant Shores since I haven't read all of it, but the connections with the String Theory books aren't that strong. If you plan on reading them, I'd say go ahead and read them first, but you won't be to lost if you don't. I don't think there are any connections between between The Nanotech Wars and any other books. That was written back before the books started connecting to each other, so as far as I know it is completely standalone.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  19. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Except TNG: Before Dishonor. That one should probably be on your list even if you only read the Voyager relaunch books. It should be read before Destiny and after the first four Voyager relaunch novels. Also, its quality is highly debated...

20. ryan123450

There’s a Klingon subplot in Full Circle that has to do with one of the TNG: A Time To books. I forget which.

And theres a character who appears in the later Voyager books whom, if you haven’t read the String Theory books, their characterization will be drastically different than it was in the series.